04 January 2015 Military News
- Airstrikes Continue Against ISIL in Syria and Iraq AFPS 04 Jan 2015 -- U.S. and partner-nation fighter and bomber aircraft conducted six airstrikes against Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported.
- US drone strike kills 5 in northeast Afghanistan Iran Press TV 04 Jan 2015 -- At least five people have been killed in a US assassination drone strike that hit an area in Afghanistan's troubled northeast, local officials say.
- USS Fort Worth Joins Sampson in Search Efforts AFPS 04 Jan 2015 -- The littoral combat ship USS Fort Worth has joined the guided missile destroyer USS Sampson in the Java Sea to assist in the Indonesian-led international search-and-recovery effort for downed AirAsia Flight 8501, according to a U.S. 7th Fleet news release issued yesterday.
Defense Policy / Programs
- China launches website on military weaponry procurement People's Daily 04 Jan 2015 -- A website on military weapon procurement was officially launched on Sunday.
- Iraq asks Australia for help in battle against ISIL Iran Press TV 04 Jan 2015 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi has called on Australia to help Baghdad in its fight against ISIL militants operating in the Arab country.
- Australia, Iraq Discuss Training, Military Aid to Fight IS Group VOA 04 Jan 2015 -- Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott, in an unannounced visit to Baghdad on Sunday, met with top officials, telling them his country is determined to provide support to Iraq in its fight against terrorism.
- Iraqi soldiers repel ISIL attacks in western Iraq Iran Press TV 04 Jan 2015 -- Iraqi security forces, backed by local tribesmen, have managed to repel attacks by Takfiri ISIL militants in the violence-scarred western province of al-Anbar.
- Iraq unity, integrity key to anti-ISIL success: Iran official Iran Press TV 04 Jan 2015 -- Iraq's unity and territorial integrity are key factors that will lead to success in the battle against the ISIL terrorist group and its supporters, Secretary of Iran's Supreme National Security Council (SNSC) Ali Shamkhani says.
- Pro-Russia commander killed in eastern Ukraine infighting Iran Press TV 04 Jan 2015 -- A prominent commander fighting the Ukrainian military in the self-proclaimed Lugansk People's Republic has been killed following internecine clashes with the region's pro-Russia security forces.
- OSCE to double observers in eastern Ukraine to 500 Iran Press TV 04 Jan 2015 -- The Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) aims to increase the number of its observers in Ukraine.
- OSCE To Double Size Of Ukraine Monitoring Mission RFE/RL 04 Jan 2015 -- The Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) plans to double the number of monitors it has in Ukraine by the end of this month.
- Shelling Heard in Several Parts of City: Donetsk Municipality Sputnik 04 Jan 2015 -- The Donetsk administration reports of the sounds of shelling in many parts of the city on Sunday.
- OSCE Reports Increase in Ceasefire Violations, Casualties in East Ukraine Sputnik 04 Jan 2015 -- There has been an increase in ceasefire violations and casualties in Ukraine's eastern Donbas region in recent weeks, the OSCE's Special Monitoring Mission (SMM) said in a statement Sunday.
- Boko Haram militants seize army base in northeast Nigeria Iran Press TV 04 Jan 2015 -- Takfiri Boko Haram militants have overrun a town in Nigeria's strife-torn northeastern state of Borno, seizing a military base following hours of heavy fighting with army forces.
- Boko Haram Militants Seize Nigerian Town of Baga, Local Military Base Sputnik 04 Jan 2015 -- Boko Haram militants have seized the Nigerian town of Baga and the local military base, BBC reported Sunday.
- Israel Weighs New Measures After Palestinian ICC Move VOA 04 Jan 2015 -- Israel is weighing more steps to punish the Palestinians for their efforts to join the International Criminal Court, even as it froze $125 million in tax revenues it collects for them.
- SADC leader urges Congo-stationed Rwandan rebels to surrender Iran Press TV 04 Jan 2015 -- Chair of the Southern African Development Community (SADC) has called on Rwandan Hutu rebels stationed in the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo to surrender.
- DPRK FM Spokesman Slams U.S. for 'New Sanctions' KCNA 04 Jan 2015 -- The spokesman for the Foreign Ministry of the DPRK Sunday gave the following answer to a question put by KCNA blasting the U.S. for announcing 'new sanctions' against the DPRK over the cyber attack on the Sony Pictures Entertainment:
- North Korea Slams US Over 'Hostile' Sanctions: Reports Sputnik 04 Jan 2015 -- Washington's new sanctions against Pyongyang over its alleged involvement in the Sony cyberattack are a 'hostile' act aimed at damaging the image of North Korea, a spokesman for the North Korean Foreign Ministry said Sunday.
- North Korea Hits Back at US Sanctions VOA 04 Jan 2015 -- North Korea has lashed out at the United States for imposing new sanctions as punishment for allegedly hacking the computers of Sony Pictures.
- Iran's Rohani Says International Isolation Harming Economy RFE/RL 04 Jan 2015 -- Iran's president has said his country cannot have 'sustainable' economic growth as long as it is internationally isolated.
- Boston Bombing Trial To Start With Jury Selection RFE/RL 04 Jan 2015 -- The trial of Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is set to begin on January 5 with jury selection.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|