27 November 2014 Military News
- LATEST: air strikes in Iraq UK MOD 27 Nov 2014 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations to assist the Iraqi government in its fight against ISIL.
- US moving warplanes, drones to Kuwait: Report Iran Press TV 27 Nov 2014 -- The United States continues to escalate its aerial campaign against ISIL terrorists in Iraq and Syria, shifting more attack and surveillance aircraft from Afghanistan to a base in Kuwait.
- Explosions, Gunfire in Kabul Diplomatic Quarter VOA 27 Nov 2014 -- An explosion followed by extended gunfire rocked the embassy district of the Afghan capital, Kabul.
- Statement by the Secretary General on the Ratification by the Afghan Parliament of Security Agreements with NATO and the United States NATO 27 Nov 2014
- US drone strike leaves 3 dead in central east Afghanistan Iran Press TV 27 Nov 2014 -- At least three people have been killed in a fresh US drone strike in central eastern Afghanistan.
- Taliban Claims Kabul Attacks As Lawmakers OK Foreign Troop Deals RFE/RL 27 Nov 2014 --Afghanistan's capital was the target of two Taliban attacks on November 27 - the same day legislators approved deals allowing thousands of foreign troops to remain in the country.
- U.K. Embassy Vehicle Hit In Suicide Attack In Kabul RFE/RL 27 Nov 2014 -- Officials say a suicide bomber riding a motorcycle has struck a British Embassy vehicle in the Afghan capital, Kabul, killing one British citizen and at least five Afghans.
Defense Policy / Programs
- NATO Tanks to Be Deployed in Eastern Europe Over Ukrainian Crisis: Official Sputnik 27 Nov 2014 -- NATO's plans to deploy US tanks in Eastern Europe are connected with the situation in the east of Ukraine, the Director of NATO Information Office in Moscow Robert Pszczel told Sputnik Radio Thursday.
- First UK A400M Atlas delivered to the RAF UK MOD 27 Nov 2014 -- The brand new aircraft has arrived at RAF Brize Norton.
- Russia Ahead of Schedule in Modernizing Military Hardware: Defense Ministry Sputnik 27 Nov 2014 -- Russia is ahead of schedule in accomplishing the task to modernize 30 percent of its military hardware by 2016, a senior defense official said Thursday.
- China's Defense Ministry denies overseas base in Walvis Bay People's Daily 27 Nov 2014 -- A spokesman for China's Defense Ministry on Thursday denied reports that China was planning to build an overseas base in Walvis Bay, Namibia, the country's only deep-water port.
- India Denies Reports of French Rafale Jets Deal Cancellation Sputnik 27 Nov 2014 -- India is not planning to cancel the deal on purchasing French Rafale jets despite earlier media reports that it would do so if France refuses to deliver Mistral helicopter carriers to Russia, a high-ranking source in Indian Defense Ministry told Sputnik Thursday.
- Iran Navy has plans for presence in open seas: Commander IRNA 27 Nov 2014 -- Iranian Navy Commander Rear-Admiral Habibollah Sayyari said on Thursday the Navy has plans for the powerful presence in international waters.
- US State Dep't Approves $800 Million Deal to Support Iraq Transport Planes Sputnik 27 Nov 2014 -- The US State Department has approved the sale to Iraq of a transport aircraft sustainment package worth $800 million, the US Defense Security Cooperation Agency (DSCA) has announced.
- Record ICRC Budget Reflects Explosion of Global Conflicts, Violence VOA 27 Nov 2014 -- The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is appealing for a record $1.68 billion to help millions of people whose lives are torn apart by armed conflict and violence. The Swiss humanitarian agency says an explosion of conflict and violence, particularly in the Middle East and Africa, is threatening regional stability and putting development prospects of impoverished countries at risk.
- EU: 5 Groups Added to Sanctions List VOA 27 Nov 2014 -- The European Union on Thursday added five separatist groups and 13 Ukrainians to the bloc's sanctions list for their roles in elections this month in rebel-held eastern Ukraine, diplomats said.
- EU extends its sanctions list over Ukraine crisis Iran Press TV 27 Nov 2014 -- The European Union (EU) has added 13 individuals as well as five entities to its sanctions list over their alleged involvement in the ongoing conflict in Ukraine.
- Syria troops kill 50 terrorists near Damascus Iran Press TV 27 Nov 2014 -- Syrian government forces have killed at least 50 Takfiri terrorists in an ambush in the suburbs of the capital, Damascus, as they continue to make fresh gains against the foreign-backed militants.
- Kobani Almost Cleared of Islamic State Militants: Free Syrian Army Sputnik 27 Nov 2014 -- The Syrian town of Kobani is now almost free from Islamic State (IS) militants and the city defenders have now shifted to offense, the commander of the last Free Syria Army (FSA) brigade left in the town, told Sputnik radio Thursday.
- Iraq security forces repel ISIL offensive in Anbar Province Iran Press TV 27 Nov 2014 -- The Iraqi army has repelled an ISIL attack on a government building in violence-ravaged Anbar Province.
- Bomb blast kills 40 in restive northeast Nigeria Iran Press TV 27 Nov 2014 -- At least 40 people have lost their lives in a bomb explosion that hit an area near a military checkpoint in Nigeria's violence-wrecked northeastern state of Adamawa.
- Nigeria Blast Kills More Than 30 VOA 27 Nov 2014 -- Witnesses say an explosion Thursday at a bus station on a busy road in northeastern Nigeria has killed more than 30 people, inclduing five soldiers, at the Mararaba-Mubi junction, in Adamawa state.
- Chinese spokesman urges Japan to abide by four-point agreement People's Daily 27 Nov 2014 -- A Chinese defense ministry spokesman on Thursday urged Japan to abide by a four-point principled agreement reached recently between the two countries.
- China criticizes Japan playing up South China Sea ADIZ People's Daily 27 Nov 2014 -- The China Air Defense Identification Zone, which was launched over the East China Sea last year, has ensured safety and stability, the Defense Ministry said Thursday.
- Army base in Kashmir comes under attack, 1 soldier dead Iran Press TV 27 Nov 2014 -- An army base in Indian-administered Kashmir has come under attack by pro-independence fighters, leaving at least one soldier dead.
- EU Calls on Serbia to Condemn Vojislav Šešelj's 'Wartime Rhetoric' VOA 27 Nov 2014 -- The European Parliament urged Serbia on Thursday to take appropriate measures against a Serb ultra-nationalist for alleged "wartime rhetoric."
- Ukraine parliament confirms pro-Western prime minister Iran Press TV 27 Nov 2014 -- Ukraine's parliament has confirmed pro-Western Arseniy Yatsenyuk as prime minister to lead a new coalition government.
- New Ukrainian Parliament Elects PM, Speaker RFE/RL 27 Nov 2014 -- Ukraine's new parliament has elected Arseniy Yatsenyuk for a new term as prime minister.
- Ukrainian Lawmakers Submit Draft Bill on Country Leaving CIS Sputnik 27 Nov 2014 -- Several representatives of the coalition of the Ukrainian Parliament, the Verkhovna Rada, have introduced a draft bill on Ukraine exiting the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS), the parliament's official website said Thursday.
- Ukrainian Parliament Approves Yatsenyuk as Prime Minister in New Government Sputnik 27 Nov 2014 -- The Ukrainian parliament Thursday approved incumbent Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk in his current position in the newly formed government.
- North Korea reveals official title of leader's sister Iran Press TV 27 Nov 2014 -- North Korea has disclosed the official title of Kim Jong-un's little sister in the country's ruling party.
- Kim Jong Un's Younger Sister Assumes High Post in Ruling Party Sputnik 27 Nov 2014 -- Kim Yo Jong, the younger sister of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, has been appointed vice department director of the Central Committee of the ruling Workers' Party, according to state news agency KCNA (Korean Central News Agency).
- Entire Iran to stand up to excessive demands: Leader Iran Press TV 27 Nov 2014 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei says the entire Iranian nation will stand up to excessive demands as the Islamic Republic engages in nuclear negotiations with six world powers.
- HK protest leaders arrested People's Daily 27 Nov 2014 -- Two key student leaders at the heart of the Hong Kong Occupy protests were arrested Wednesday during the second day that authorities moved to clear a major protest site in Mong Kok, as residents and business owners expressed relief over resumed traffic and business operations in the area.
- Ebola Vaccine Seen as Safe in Initial Tests VOA 27 Nov 2014 -- Researchers say an experimental Ebola vaccine has caused no serious side effects and produced an immune response in all 20 healthy volunteers who received it in an early-stage clinical trial.
- Mexican Leader Announces Nationwide Crime Crackdown VOA 27 Nov 2014 -- Mexico's president announced a nationwide anti-crime plan Thursday that would give Congress the power to dissolve local governments infiltrated by drug gangs and give state authorities control over often-corrupt municipal police.
- East Or West? Divided Moldova's Tense Election Season Comes Down To The Wire RFE/RL 27 Nov 2014 -- The chances that Moldova's November 30 legislative elections could end up provoking legal challenges and even protests keep going up.
- No Election in Thailand Seen Until 2016 VOA 27 Nov 2014 -- Authorities in Thailand, which is under martial law and being run by a retired general, said they do not foresee holding elections next year as originally promised.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|