03 November 2014 Military News
- Inherent Resolve Strikes Continue Against ISIL in Syria, Iraq AFPS 03 Nov 2014 -- U.S. and partner-nation military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, and U.S. Central Command officials have provided details of airstrikes conducted from Oct. 31 through today.
- Canada's Air Forces Conduct First Strikes Against IS in Iraq: Defence Minister RIA Novosti 03 Nov 2014 -- Canada's CF-18 combat jets have dropped laser-guided bombs targeting Islamic State (IS) in Iraq for the first time after joining the US-led anti-IS campaign, Department of National Defence announced Monday.
- LATEST: air strikes in Iraq UK MOD 03 Nov 2014 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations to assist the Iraqi government in its fight against ISIL.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Department of Defense Press Briefing on the European Command and NATO by Gen. Breedlove in the Pentagon Briefing Room DoD 03 Nov 2014 -- Presenters: U.S. European Command Commander and NATO Supreme Allied Commander Europe General Philip Breedlove
- Breedlove Describes Challenges Facing European Command AFPS 03 Nov 2014 -- Europe faces increasing instability from "the unwelcome return of nations using military force to coerce neighboring states" and from challenges emanating from the Middle East and North Africa, the commander of U.S. European Command said here today.
- 815th Airlift Squadron provides support for Operation Southern Strike AFNS 03 Nov 2014 -- A large mechanical whir fills the back of the C-130J Super Hercules, as the back ramp doors begin to slowly open like a pair of iron jaws. Chief Master Sgt. Troy Peltier, a loadmaster with the 815th Airlift Squadron here, turns to the 25 paratroopers from the Army's 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment as they peer into the dark, and signals for them to get ready to plunge into the void of an October night.
- Alaskan Command joins U.S. Northern Command AFNS 03 Nov 2014 -- Alaska is poised to play an increasingly important role in the development of military capabilities in the Arctic following a reassignment of command responsibilities.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel's meeting with the Tunisian Minister of Defense Ghazi Jeribi DoD 03 Nov 2014
- VMGR-252 hones Tactical Navigation skills USMC News 03 Nov 2014 -- Gliding over mountain tops and maneuvering through deep valleys, Marines with Marine Aerial Refueler Transport Squadron 252 honed their tactical navigation skills and Assault Landing Zone techniques at Hunter Army Airfield, Ga., Oct. 23.
- Peleliu Visits Singapore One Last Time NNS 03 Nov 2014 -- The amphibious assault ship USS Peleliu (LHA 5) pulled into Changi Naval Base for a scheduled port call following completion of Amphibious Landing Exercise (PHIBLEX) 2015.
- Naval War College Aims to Forecast Changing Arctic NNS 03 Nov 2014 -- Responding to the opening of the Arctic region to increased human activity, the U.S. Naval War College (NWC) is exploring the geopolitical future of the area.
- UK Medical Brigade Begins Training at NEMTI NNS 03 Nov 2014 -- More than 100 service members from the United Kingdom's 2nd Medical Brigade are participating in an exercise that began Nov. 1 at Naval Expeditionary Medical Institute (NEMTI) at Camp Pendleton, California.
- US Navy cancels Philippines port calls Iran Press TV 03 Nov 2014 -- The United States has called off visits of its three military ships to the Philippines following the death of a Filipino by a US marine.
- Iron Sword 2014: NATO stages massive military drill in Lithuania RT 03 Nov 2014 -- Servicemen from nine NATO member states are taking part in nearly two weeks of military exercise in Lithuania. What used to be a national military drill has become a multinational NATO war game in response to events in neighboring Ukraine.
- Next Generation Ratnik Soldier Equipment to be Adopted Into Service by 2015: Arms Company RIA Novosti 03 Nov 2014 -- The next generation Ratnik military gear will be adopted into service by the Russian Army by the end of 2015, the head of the Central Research Institute for Precision Machine Building (TsNIITochash) Dmitri Semizorov told journalists Monday.
- China Successfully Develops Laser System Able to Shoot Down Drones in Seconds: Reports RIA Novosti 03 Nov 2014 -- China has successfully developed a laser defense system that can shoot down small-scale low flying drones within a two kilometer radius in five seconds, Xinhua news reported.
- CPC command of military must be upheld People's Daily 03 Nov 2014 -- The military political work conference was held in the township of Gutian, Fujian Province last week. Eighty-five years ago, the famous Gutian Conference was held there, which stipulated the basic principle of the Party leading the military. Today, the military political work conference sends a clear signal.
- AU Mulls Size, Composition of Projected Standby Force VOA 03 Nov 2014 -- The African Union Commission's Peace and Security Department is meeting in Zimbabwe as part of efforts to create an African Standby Force. The envisioned force would play a peacekeeping role of sorts, responding to political emergencies around the continent to maintain stability.
- November 3, 2014 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 03 Nov 2014
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Josh Earnest, 11/3/2014 The White House 03 Nov 2014
- 3 November 2014 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 03 Nov 2014
- Syria: UN envoy proposes new plan to 'freeze' conflict, promote political solution UN News Centre 03 Nov 2014 -- The war in Syria must be "frozen locally" on the ground so that the growing threat posed by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) may be fully confronted, a United Nations envoy said today, suggesting that a peace introduced in increments would also provide all stakeholders with a better understanding of how to bring the three-year conflict to a definitive conclusion.
- ISIL says captured 2nd Syrian gas field over past week Iran Press TV 03 Nov 2014 -- The ISIL Takfiri militants claim to have seized another natural gas field in the central Syrian province of Homs after a week of fighting with the army.
- Iraq tightens security against ISIL attacks on Shia mourners Iran Press TV 03 Nov 2014 -- Iraq has beefed up security measures amid fears of attacks by the ISIL Takfiri terrorists against Shia Muslims in Karbala commemorating the martyrdom anniversary of Imam Hussein (PBUH), the third Shia Imam.
- 322 Iraqi tribespeople killed by ISIL: Ministry Iran Press TV 03 Nov 2014 -- At least 322 people from the same tribe, including many women and children, were killed by ISIL militants in Iraq's Anbar Province, says the country's Human Rights Ministry.
- Libyan Army, Islamists Battle in Benghazi VOA 03 Nov 2014 -- Arab news channels are reporting heavy fighting in the center of Benghazi between forces loyal to the Libyan Army and the Shoura Council Islamist militias. The army has called on residents to evacuate, amid heavy shelling.
- Residents of Benghazi port area urged to evacuate Iran Press TV 03 Nov 2014 -- The Libyan military has urged residents of a central district of Benghazi to evacuate as it pushes ahead with an offensive against militants in the country's second-largest city.
- Poroshenko: Cease-Fire Deal 'Adjustments' Possible After 'Pseudo-Elections' VOA 03 Nov 2014 -- Ukraine's President Petro Poroshenko has denounced elections held Sunday in separatist-controlled eastern Ukraine, calling them "a farce at gunpoint" conducted by "bandits, terrorists and interventionists."
- Five Takeaways From Eastern Ukraine's Separatist Vote RFE/RL 03 Nov 2014 -- The elections held in eastern Ukraine by the pro-Russian separatists may not have been recognized by anyone but Russia, but that may be all that matters.
- Victors Declared In 'Illegal' Ukraine Votes RFE/RL 03 Nov 2014 -- Self-proclaimed authorities in rebel-held sections of eastern Ukraine say prominent pro-Russian separatist figures have won elections denounced by the West and dismissed by President Petro Poroshenko as a 'farce.'
- NATO Commander Warns That Separatist Polls In Ukraine Don't Help RFE/RL 03 Nov 2014 -- NATO's top military commander has said the elections held by pro-Russian separatists in eastern Ukraine do not correspond with a September 5 peace plan and will not improve the situation.
- LPR Head Says Number of People's Republics in Novorossiya Likely to Increase RIA Novosti 03 Nov 2014 -- The number of people's republics in Novorossiya is likely to increase, as many locals in the region oppose the Kiev government, the newly-elected head of the self-proclaimed Luhansk People's Republic (LPR), Igor Plotnitsky said Monday.
- Kiev Unaware of Contents of Russian Humanitarian Convoy for Donbas: Official RIA Novosti 03 Nov 2014 -- Ukraine's National Security and Defense Council is unaware of the contents of the fifth Russian humanitarian aid convoy, which delivered building materials, food, fuel and medications to Donetsk and Luhansk on Sunday, Council's spokesperson Andriy Lysenko stated Monday.
- Mir Luganshchine Party Takes 69,2% of Votes in Luhansk, Plotnitsky Wins with 63,8% RIA Novosti 03 Nov 2014 -- The Mir Luganshchine (Peace for Luhansk) party has taken 69.2 percent of the votes after a 100 percent vote-count in the elections in the self-proclaimed Luhansk People's Republic (LPR), the head of the Luhansk Central Election Commission, Sergei Kozyakov, said in a press conference Monday.
- Acting Prime Minister Zakharchenko Wins Donetsk Election: Election Commission RIA Novosti 03 Nov 2014 -- Acting Prime Minister Alexander Zakharchenko has won the election in the self-proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic (DPR), the republic's central election commission said Monday.
- Politicians Elected in DPR, LPR Get Mandate to Resolve Crisis: Russian Foreign Ministry RIA Novosti 03 Nov 2014 -- The politicians elected in the self-proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic (DPR) and Luhansk People's Republic (LPR) have received mandate for a solution to resolve the crisis and to restore normal life in the regions, Russian Foreign Ministry said in a statement Monday.
- 'Popular Committees' feed Yemen polarization IRIN 03 Nov 2014 -- Yahia Abu Talib, serious and stoic, is in no doubt about the importance of his role. 'We protect homes and mosques,' he says, referring to the so-called popular committees of which he is a member.
- Yemeni Houthis push out militants from Jabal Ras Iran Press TV 03 Nov 2014 -- Houthi movement's Ansarullah revolutionaries have succeeded in taking control of the Jabal Ras area in western Yemen, making fresh gains against al-Qaeda-affiliated militants.
- Pakistan, India Hold Border Ritual Despite Attack RFE/RL 03 Nov 2014 -- India and Pakistan have held a daily military ceremony at their main border crossing, a day after a suicide attack there killed 55 people and wounded dozens more.
- India, Pakistan temporarily close border after bomb blast Iran Press TV 03 Nov 2014 -- India and Pakistan have temporarily closed their only road border crossing following a deadly bomb attack on the Pakistani side of the border.
- Pakistan Holds Flag Ceremony After Deadly Attack VOA 03 Nov 2014 -- Pakistan pressed ahead with its daily flag-lowering military ceremony at its only land border crossing with rival India Monday, a day after a suicide bomber killed around 60 people and wounded 100 others near the venue.
- In Darfur, UN mission voices concern over possible security raid on camps for displaced UN News Centre 03 Nov 2014 -- The United Nations mission in Darfur expressed concern today over the Government of Sudan's alleged intentions to conduct a security search operation in a camp for internally displaced people (IDP), cautioning that such an act might increase tensions among the camp's civilian population.
- South Sudan Violence Spreads to Kenyan Refugee Camp VOA 03 Nov 2014 -- At least eight people have been killed in fighting between South Sudanese refugees at a camp in northern Kenya, according to an aid agency official.
- Burkinabe military vows power transition Iran Press TV 03 Nov 2014 -- Burkina Faso's military, in control of the country following the resignation of the decades-long President Blaise Compaoré, has promised to cede power to a transitional government.
- AU Pressures Burkina Faso Military to Transfer Power VOA 03 Nov 2014 -- The African Union has given Burkina Faso's military a two-week deadline to return power to a civilian transitional government.
- Romania Heading For Presidential Runoff RFE/RL 03 Nov 2014 -- Romania's center-left prime minister, Victor Ponta, will face a conservative city mayor in a presidential runoff.
- UNICEF to boost staff in Ebola-hit countries; UN health chief deplores lagging vaccine research UN News Centre 03 Nov 2014 -- As the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) announced today that it plans to boost its staff in countries on the frontlines of the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, the head of the UN World Health Organization attributed the lack of research into cures and vaccines for Ebola to the fact that the disease has historically been confined to poor African nations.
- Health Experts Say Ebola Might Be Loosening Grip on Liberia VOA 03 Nov 2014 -- Liberian officials and the World Health Organization say the number of new Ebola cases in Liberia appears to be falling but that it's too soon to be sure. Liberia has been the hardest hit by this regional epidemic with approximately half the total cases and deaths.
- Economist Optimistic About W. Africa's Post-Ebola Prospects VOA 03 Nov 2014 -- The chief economist of the African Development Bank says Ebola's effect on West African economies is 'astounding,' - but he is optimistic that Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone will bounce back faster than some experts expect. He spoke from a conference in Ethiopia's capital.
- US Diplomat: Foreign Aid, Awareness Help Slow Ebola Infection Rates VOA 03 Nov 2014 -- The U.S. ambassador to the United Nations said there are positive signs emerging in the three hardest-hit West African countries that the Ebola epidemic is finally being contained.
- S. Korean Activists Use Lower-Profile Approach for Leaflet Balloons VOA 03 Nov 2014 -- A South Korean activist group comprised of North Korean defectors says it will continue launching propaganda balloons toward the North, but without releasing details to the public beforehand.
- Russian Nationalists March On, Under Kremlin's Wary Gaze RFE/RL 03 Nov 2014 -- Russia's nationalists will be on the march this week. And the Kremlin will be looking on - somewhat warily.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|