31 August 2014 Military News
- Airstrikes Hit ISIL, Airdrops Aid Citizens in Amirli AFPS 31 Aug 2014 -- At the request of the Government of Iraq, the U.S. military conducted airstrikes in support of an operation to deliver humanitarian assistance to address the humanitarian crisis and protect the civilians trapped in Amirli, Iraq, at approximately 8:30 p.m. EDT yesterday.
- Bataan ARG Deployment Extended in 5th Fleet NNS 31 Aug 2014 -- The Secretary of Defense ordered the Bataan Amphibious Ready Group (ARG) and embarked 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) Aug. 30, to remain in the U.S. 5th Fleet area of responsibility (AOR) until the beginning of October.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Obama to Reassure NATO Baltic States VOA 31 Aug 2014 -- President Barack Obama leaves Tuesday for a trip to Estonia and later Wales, in Britain, for a gathering of leaders of NATO countries.
- Blue Ridge Completes Exercise with ROK Navy, Improves Joint Operational Capabilities NNS 31 Aug 2014 -- U.S. 7th Fleet flagship USS Blue Ridge (LCC 19) and embarked 7th Fleet staff departed Busan, Republic of Korea Aug. 30 after conducting joint exercise Ulchi Freedom Guardian 2014 (UFG 14) with the Republic of Korea (ROK) Navy during a 17-day port visit.
- When in Persian Gulf, US forces must speak Farsi: Iran cmdr. Iran Press TV 31 Aug 2014 -- The US naval forces in the Persian Gulf are obligated to speak in Farsi during their radio communications with Iran’s forces, says an Iranian commander.
- NATO to Set Up Another 5 Military Bases in Eastern Europe RIA Novosti 31 Aug 2014 -- NATO plans to set up five additional military bases in Eastern Europe, German newspaper Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung reported.
- Xi urges innovation in "new military revolution" People's Daily 31 Aug 2014 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping has called for more innovation in the country's military as the world is witnessing a "new military revolution."
- DPRK's Tactical Rocket Firing Is Undebatable: Rodong Sinmun KCNA 31 Aug 2014 -- The U.S. is fidgety over the drill of firing tactical rockets regularly conducted by the DPRK.
- Separatists Claim Attack on Ukrainian Naval Ship VOA 31 Aug 2014 -- Separatist rebels attacked a Ukrainian naval vessel in the Azov Sea on Sunday by firing artillery from the shore, and a Ukrainian military spokesman said a rescue operation was under way.
- Poroshenko: EU Ready For Sanctions, Conditional To Progress On Peace Plan RFE/RL 31 Aug 2014 -- Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko says the EU summit in Brussels has agreed to prepare new sanctions on Russia, conditional on progress of his peace plan.
- EU To Prepare Fresh Russian Sanctions RFE/RL 31 Aug 2014 -- European Council President Herman Van Rompuy says EU officials will draw up proposals for new sanctions on Russia over its action in Ukraine within a week.
- Putin Calls for Talks Inside Ukraine, Not Giving Statehood to Novorossiya - Spokesman RIA Novosti 31 Aug 2014 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin in his Sunday’s interview called for inclusive negotiations inside Ukraine, not granting statehood to Novorossiya, the union of Donetsk and Luhansk republics in the east of the country.
- Putin Calls For Eastern Ukraine 'Statehood' Talks RFE/RL 31 Aug 2014 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin said talks on ending the conflict in eastern Ukraine must discuss statehood for the region.
- U.S. Senators Call For Washington To Arm Ukraine RFE/RL 31 Aug 2014 -- Two top U.S. lawmakers have called for the United States to arm Ukraine in its battle against pro-Russian separatists and Russian forces in eastern Ukraine.
- Militia Releases Over 220 Ukrainian Soldiers to Kiev RIA Novosti 31 Aug 2014 -- Militia released over 223 captives to Kiev early Sunday morning, the Donetsk People’s Republic said in a statement.
- Humanitarian supplies reach Amerli UK MOD 31 Aug 2014 -- Lifesaving UK aid for thousands of people trapped by ISIL in the Iraqi town of Amerli was delivered overnight by the Royal Air Force.
- Iraqi Forces Break Siege of Northern Town VOA 31 Aug 2014 -- Iraqi officials say their forces broke through Sunday to the jihadist-besieged northern town of Amerli.
- Australia To Assist Forces Fighting Islamic State In Iraq RFE/RL 31 Aug 2014 -- Australia says it will fly military equipment and aid into Iraq to help fight Islamic State militants.
- Iraqi forces enter ISIL-besieged Amerli town Iran Press TV 31 Aug 2014 -- Iraqi army troops, backed by thousands of volunteers, have entered the northern city of Amerli that has been surrounded by the ISIL cult since two months ago.
- Iraqi Kurds advance on ISIL Takfiris northwest of Mosul Iran Press TV 31 Aug 2014 -- Iraqi Kurdish forces have gained access to the Zumar area northwest of Mosul while continuing their advance against the ISIL Takfiri terrorists.
- 'Militants returning from Iraq, Syria may attack Germany' Iran Press TV 31 Aug 2014 -- The chief of Germany's domestic security agency has warned of the potential attacks against the country by militants returning from Iraq and Syria.
- UN: Philippine Peacekeepers Safe After 'Greatest Escape' VOA 31 Aug 2014 -- The United Nations said all the Philippine peacekeepers seized by Syrian rebels in the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights last week are now safe, but 44 Fijian peacekeepers are still missing.
- Israeli Military Downs Syrian Drone Over Golan Heights RIA Novosti 31 Aug 2014 -- Israeli military have shot down a drone that flew into Israeli-controlled airspace near the Golan Heights.
- Israel Appropriates More West Bank Land From Palestinians VOA 31 Aug 2014 -- The land is in the Etzion bloc near Bethlehem. It may be used for possible Jewish settlements and a new Israeli city to be called Gevaot.
- Libyan Militia Takes Control of Vacant US Embassy Annex in Tripoli VOA 31 Aug 2014 -- An Islamist militia group in Libya said it has taken control of the residential annex, but have not gone into the main compound, of the vacated U.S. embassy in Tripoli.
- At Least 10 Killed, 25 Injured in Fresh Violence in Libya’s Benghazi - Agency RIA Novosti 31 Aug 2014 -- The forces of the former general Khalifa Haftar and Islamist fighters clashed in Benghazi, Libya’s second largest city, on Saturday, leaving at least 10 people dead and 25 injured.
- Somalia government forces foil al-Shabab attack Iran Press TV 31 Aug 2014 -- Somalia’s security forces say they have repelled an attack by al-Shabab militants against an intelligence headquarters and detention facility in the capital, Mogadishu.
- 11 Killed as Militants Attack Prison in Somalia VOA 31 Aug 2014 -- At least 11 people are dead after Somali security forces repelled an attack on a prison housing al-Shabab militants in Mogadishu.
- Elusive Deal With Iran Could Yield Foreign Policy Legacy for Obama VOA 31 Aug 2014 -- Call between Presidents Barack Obama and Hassan Rouhani marked the first direct contact between the United States and Iran since 1979.
- Rouhani Slams New US Sanctions Against Iran as Illegal RIA Novosti 31 Aug 2014 -- Hassan Rouhani, the President of Iran, has called new sanctions imposed by the United States on more than 25 companies and individuals illegal, adding that Tehran will circumvent them, BBC reports.
- Khan Vows To Continue Deadly Antigovernment Protests RFE/RL 31 Aug 2014 -- Pakistani opposition leader Imran Khan says he will protest to "the last breath" as clashes between police and protesters left at least three people dead and hundreds injured.
- Full text of NPC decision on universal suffrage for HKSAR chief selection People's Daily 31 Aug 2014 -- Following is the full text of the Decision of the Standing Committee of the National People's Congress on Issues Relating to the Selection of the Chief Executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region by Universal Suffrage and on the Method for Forming the Legislative Council of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region in the Year 2016.
- SADC, Lesotho Leaders to Discuss Political Crisis VOA 31 Aug 2014 -- The prime minister of the southern African kingdom of Lesotho, who fled what he called an attempted coup, is in South Africa to discuss recent unrest in his country.
- Ban voices concern about reported military takeover in Lesotho UN News Centre 31 Aug 2014 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon voiced concern on Sunday about the reported military takeover in the southern African nation of Lesotho, and called on all parties to resolve their differences peacefully.
- Ghana Officials Meet to Prepare Aggressive Ebola Strategy VOA 31 Aug 2014 -- Ghana is to launch a nationwide Ebola campaign to educate students against the deadly disease.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|