24 August 2014 Military News
- U.S. Military Conducts Airstrikes Near Irbil, Mosul Dam AFPS 24 Aug 2014 -- U.S. military forces continued support Iraqi security force operations today, using attack and remotely-piloted aircraft to conduct two airstrikes against terrorists associated with the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.
- US Lawmakers Urge Obama to Expand Military Action Against Islamic State VOA 24 Aug 2014 -- The U.S. Congress is in recess and members are scattered across the country in their home districts.
- Karzai Urges Quick End to Afghan Election Stalemate VOA 24 Aug 2014 -- Outgoing Afghan President Hamid Karzai urged rival candidates to accelerate and conclude a U.N.-supervised audit of all 8.1 million ballots cast in the hotly disputed June 14 presidential runoff election.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Work Meets Leaders, Troops on First Official Asia Trip AFPS 24 Aug 2014 -- Deputy Defense Secretary Bob Work completed his first official trip to Asia today after spending his second day in Japan meeting with defense and military leaders in Tokyo, Yokosuka and Iwakuni.
- Hickam C-17 dedicated in honor of late Sen. Daniel Inouye AFNS 24 Aug 2014 -- A C-17 Globemaster III from the 535th Airlift Squadron was dedicated "Spirit of Daniel Inouye," in memory of local and national hero Sen. Daniel Inouye, Aug. 20, during a ceremony here.
- Ukraine's Poroshenko Vows $3 Billion for Military VOA 24 Aug 2014 -- Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko has vowed to increase military spending by $3 billion over the next few years because of the ongoing pro-Russian separatist threat in the east of Ukraine.
- South Sudan Rebels Seize Monitors' Helicopter VOA 24 Aug 2014 -- South Sudan opposition forces seized a helicopter of the regional monitoring and verification teams early Sunday and a team member has reportedly died.
- China Executes 8 on Terrorism Convictions VOA 24 Aug 2014 -- China is reported to have executed eight people from the restive northwestern region of Xinjiang who were convicted of terrorist attacks.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|