1130 Palestinians killed in Israeli attacks on Gaza
Iran Press TV
Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:48AM GMT
The Palestinian death toll from Israel's 22-day deadly military offensive against the blockaded Gaza Strip has risen to at least 1,130.
A Palestinian health official on Tuesday announced the figure. More than 6,000 others have been injured in the Israeli onslaught, which started on July 8.
Israel says 53 Israelis have been killed so far; however, Palestinian fighters say they have killed over a hundred Israeli troopers.
The new figures come as nearly 30 Palestinians were killed and dozens more injured in the latest Israeli attacks overnight. The houses of several Hamas officials, including that of the Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh, also came under fire.
"My house is not more valuable than the houses of other people, destroying stones will not break our determination," Haniyeh said in a statement after the attack.
At dawn Tuesday, plumes of smoke rose above the Al-Shorouq media building in central Gaza City, which houses the offices of the Hamas-run Al-Aqsa television and radio. Hours earlier, at least two major blasts hit the media building.
On Monday, at least 10 people, mostly children, lost their lives in an Israeli strike on Shati refugee camp on the edge of Gaza City. Israeli tanks also killed five people, including three children and a 70-year-old woman, and wounded 50 in the town of Jebaliya, according to the Red Crescent.
Later in the day, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Tel Aviv needs "to be ready for a prolonged campaign."
However, Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri responded by saying, "His (Netanyahu's) threats do not scare Hamas or the Palestinian people, and the occupation will pay the price for the massacres against civilians and children."
Israel has rejected a recent call by the UN for a ceasefire Hamas had endorsed.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|