Israel resumes deadly strikes against Gaza Strip
Iran Press TV
Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:43AM GMT
Israel has put an abrupt end to a humanitarian ceasefire requested by the United Nations, resuming its fatal military attacks against Palestinians in the besieged Gaza Strip, Press TV reports.
On Sunday, the Israeli military said it was resuming its ground offensive and airstrikes against the impoverished Palestinian territory after members of the Islamic resistance movement Hamas fired a salvo of rockets at southern Israel.
"Following Hamas' incessant rocket fire, the (army) will now resume its aerial, naval and ground activity in the Gaza Strip," a military statement said.
Residents in Gaza reported hearing heavy shelling east of Gaza City shortly after the announcement was made. Israeli tanks and warplanes also started pounding targets inside the Gaza Strip.
At least three Palestinians have been killed in the fresh Israeli bombardments against Gaza.
The latest attacks come following a 12-hour humanitarian ceasefire, which had taken effect on Saturday. There had been calls for the extension of the truce.
Hamas announced that it would not accept any long-term ceasefire unless Israeli troops withdrew from the Gaza Strip. It also demanded the return of Palestinians to their homes and the free movement of ambulances.
The Palestinian death toll from three weeks of Israeli strikes has reached about 1,052 and at least 6,000 Palestinians have been injured in the onslaught.
Israel has been carrying out military attacks against the blockaded Gaza Strip since July 8.
While Israel says 43 Israelis have been killed in the war, Hamas sources put the number at about 90.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|