Israel, Hamas agree to ceasefire from Friday: Israel Official
Iran Press TV
Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:44PM GMT
An Israeli official says Tel Aviv and the Palestinian resistance movement Hamas have agreed to a new ceasefire due on Friday.
The official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said on Thursday that the two sides 'have agreed upon a ceasefire that will begin at 6:00am tomorrow.'
Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri, however, denied a truce with Israel, saying, 'The news about a ceasefire is incorrect. There are continuing efforts but no agreement until now.'
The possible ceasefire came after Hamas and Israel agreed to hold a five-hour ceasefire earlier in the day in order to allow UN humanitarian aid to enter the besieged Gaza Strip.
Hours before the truce, Israeli jets struck dozens of targets in Gaza, including the residences of Hamas leaders.
Hamas earlier rejected an Egyptian offer for a ceasefire with Tel Aviv, saying Israel has to recognize the Palestinian national unity government - which includes members of Hamas and Fatah factions – and fully lift the blockade on Gaza.
As of the start of the temporary ceasefire, the Israeli regime has killed at least 231 people and injured 1,700 others as part of military operations it launched against Gaza ten days ago. About a third of the Palestinian fatalities are women and children.
Since July 8, the Israeli military has targeted more than 1,800 targets across Gaza, which is home to around 1.8 million Palestinians living under blockade.
Hamas has been responding to the full force Israeli attacks by firing rockets into Israel.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|