30 July 2014 Military News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 30 Jul 2014 [PDF]
- UN envoy welcomes criteria for invalidation, recount in Afghan audit process UN News Centre 30 Jul 2014 -- The top United Nations official in Afghanistan has welcomed the decision to adopt criteria for the invalidation and recount of ballots as part of the ongoing audit over the results of the presidential run-off poll.
- Pakistan Says it 'Foiled' Cross-Border Militant Attack VOA 30 Jul 2014 -- Pakistan said it has repulsed an attack on a military outpost by Afghanistan-based militants, killing at least seven attackers. The foreign ministry later summoned a senior Afghan diplomat to urge Kabul to take steps to stop border incursions by anti-Pakistan groups.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Department of Defense Press Briefing on the State of the Air Force DoD 30 Jul 2014 -- Presenters: Deborah Lee James, Secretary of the Air Force; General Mark A. Welsh III, Air Force Chief of Staff
- James: Air Force Grapples with Congress to Fund Readiness AFPS 30 Jul 2014 -- To balance readiness today and modernization tomorrow, the Air Force's fiscal 2015 budget request is shrinking like today's defense budget thanks to Congress's own priorities and the approaching threat of sequestration in 2016, Air Force leaders said today.
- Tyndall AFB takes F-22 pilot training to next level AFNS 30 Jul 2014 -- The Air Force's ability to continue developing a fifth generation fighter aircraft fleet ready to meet the challenges of future warfare, hinges in large part, on a steady influx of capable and trained F-22 Raptor pilots.
- Department of Defense Announces Progress on Design and Implementation of New Civilian Employee Performance Management System and Appointment Procedures DoD 30 Jul 2014
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel's Call with Israeli Minister of Defense Moshe Ya'alon DoD 30 Jul 2014
- AF launches successful satellite mission AFNS 30 Jul 2014 -- The 45th Space Wing supported a successful United Launch Alliance Delta IV vehicle carrying Air Force Space Command mission assets for the Air Force July 28.
- Locklear Briefs on Asia-Pacific, Partners, Security AFPS 30 Jul 2014 -- The commander of U.S. Pacific Command briefed Pentagon reporters yesterday, discussing the U.S. rebalance to the Asia-Pacific region, successful engagement with partners there and conditions for continued stability and security.
- US Negotiating New Military Base in Uzbekistan RIA Novosti 30 Jul 2014 -- The United States is in negotiations to open a new military base in southern Uzbekistan that would bring $1 billion to the Uzbek budget annually, uzmetronom.com reported Wednesday.
- US to Sell 5,000 Hellfire Missiles to Iraq Worth $700Mln RIA Novosti 30 Jul 2014 -- The United States is planning to sell 5,000 AGM-114K/N/R Hellfire missiles worth $700 million to Iraq to help it fight Sunni Islamic State militants, the US Defense Security Cooperation Agency (DSCA) said in a statement.
- Statement by the Secretary General on the INF Treaty NATO 30 Jul 2014 -- The United States has briefed the North Atlantic Council on its determination that the Russian Federation is in violation of its obligations under the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces (INF) Treaty not to possess, produce, or flight-test a ground-launched cruise missile with a range capability of 500 to 5,500 kilometers, or to possess or produce launchers of such missiles.
- Does Russian Treaty Violation Pose Military Threat? VOA 30 Jul 2014 -- The United States upped the diplomatic pressure this week by saying Russia has violated provisions of the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces treaty - or INF - a treaty considered to be the cornerstone of the U.S.-Russian nuclear disarmament structure.
- Russia Exports Almost $4.3 Bln in Arms to EU Annually – European Commission RIA Novosti 30 Jul 2014 -- Russia's annual arms exports to the European Union total almost $4.3 billion, a European Commission representative told journalists Wednesday.
- Mistral Deal With Russia Unaffected by Sanctions – French Shipbuilders RIA Novosti 30 Jul 2014 -- The new sanctions imposed by the United States against Russia will not impact the delivery of Mistral warships to Russia, according to the director of corporate media relations at DCNS, a French naval defense company.
- Russian Jets Hold Exercises in Arctic RIA Novosti 30 Jul 2014 -- Crews of MiG-31 "Foxhound" supersonic interceptor aircraft held drills accompanying Tu-95 "Bear" strategic bombers in the Arctic, the press service of the Eastern Military District reported Wednesday.
- Defense Department Calls on North Korea to End Military Buildup AFPS 30 Jul 2014 -- Defense Department officials are aware of reports that North Korea has fired short-range ballistic missiles into the Sea of Japan, and call on that nation to end its military buildup, Director of Pentagon Press Operations Army Col. Steve Warren said today.
- N. Korea Test-fires More Projectiles VOA 30 Jul 2014 -- North Korea has fired four more short-range projectiles into the sea, the latest in a series of missile and artillery tests.
- Satellite Imagery Suggests Future Large N. Korean Rocket Launch VOA 30 Jul 2014 -- The U.S.-Korea Institute has released satellite photographs indicating North Korea may be nearing completion of construction and testing leading to long-range missile and satellite launches. The images were made public Tuesday as the top U.S. Navy Pacific commander cautioned the global community against indifference to the pace of the North's advances in nuclear and missile technology.
- Press Gaggle by Principal Deputy Press Secretary Eric Schultz en route Joint Base Andrews, 7/30/14 The White House 30 Jul 2014
- July 30, 2014 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 30 Jul 2014
- 30 July 2014 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 30 Jul 2014
- Gaza: Deadly shelling of another UN school draws condemnation, calls for ceasefire UN News Centre 30 Jul 2014 -- As another United Nations school serving as a shelter for Palestinians in Gaza was hit by shells this morning, killing children, senior UN officials strongly condemned the attacks and warned against the targeting of civilians.
- At Least 15 Killed in Israeli Strike on Gaza Market VOA 30 Jul 2014 -- At least 15 palestinians were killed during an Israeli military strike near a crowded market in Shejaia on Wednesday, Gaza health ministry spokesman Ashraf al-Qidra said. He said 160 people were also wounded.
- Hamas fighters kill dozens of Israeli soldiers Iran Press TV 30 Jul 2014 -- Al-Qassam Brigades, which is the military wing of Hamas, says Palestinian resistance fighters have killed dozens of Israeli soldiers over the past 24 hours.
- 1,300 Palestinians killed in Israeli attacks on Gaza Iran Press TV 30 Jul 2014 -- Latest figures show the Palestinian death toll from Israel's deadly military offensive against the blockaded Gaza Strip has risen to at least 1,300.
- Israel attacks on Gaza destroy almost 5,000 Palestinian homes Iran Press TV 30 Jul 2014 -- The deadly Israeli military attacks against the blockaded Gaza Strip have destroyed nearly 5,000 Palestinian houses.
- Hamas hopes Hezbollah joins ongoing fight against Israel Iran Press TV 30 Jul 2014 -- Hamas has expressed hope that Lebanon's Hezbollah joins the Palestinian resistance movement against the current Israeli onslaught on the Gaza Strip.
- Ban urges halt to fighting, unfettered access to Malaysia Airlines crash site in Ukraine UN News Centre 30 Jul 2014 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today called for an immediate halt to hostilities in eastern Ukraine so that international investigators can gain access to the site where a Malaysia Airlines passenger flight crashed earlier this month.
- G-7 Leaders Statement on Ukraine The White House 30 Jul 2014
- Observers Turned Back From MH17 Crash Site in Ukraine VOA 30 Jul 2014 -- International observers in eastern Ukraine have turned back from the crash site of Malaysia Airlines Flight 17, after pro-Russian separatists once again prevented them entering the area.
- E Ukraine fighting yet again stops MH17 probe Iran Press TV 30 Jul 2014 -- International experts have been prevented for the fourth consecutive day from visiting the crash site of Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 in eastern Ukraine due to heavy fighting in the area.
- Ukraine forces retake Avdiivka town in Donetsk Iran Press TV 30 Jul 2014 -- Ukraine's army says it has recaptured the town of Avdiivka on the outskirts of Donetsk as it continues to battle pro-Russia forces in the country's eastern regions.
- Belarus To Host Ukraine-Russia Talks RFE/RL 30 Jul 2014 -- Belarus says it will host talks between Ukraine, Russia, and the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) on the crisis in eastern Ukraine.
- EU Sanctions Reveal Lack of Political Will to Solve Ukraine Crisis - Moscow RIA Novosti 30 Jul 2014 -- New European Union sanctions against Moscow show that Brussels lacks political will and desire to find a solution to the crisis in Ukraine, the Russian Foreign Ministry said Wednesday.
- Russia Striving to Start Ukraine Negotiations – Lavrov RIA Novosti 30 Jul 2014 -- Russia will do its utmost to start the negotiations process in Ukraine and end the bloodshed, Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Wednesday.
- Russia Concerned by Reports of Kiev Using Ballistic Missiles in Eastern Ukraine RIA Novosti 30 Jul 2014 -- Moscow is concerned by reports that Ukraine's government troops have used ballistic missiles against independence supporters in the country's east, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Wednesday.
- Heavy Fighting Prevents International Experts from Accessing MH17 Crash Site RIA Novosti 30 Jul 2014 -- A group of independent experts from Australia and the Netherlands was again unable to reach the crash site of Malaysian Flight MH17 due to heavy fighting between militia and the Ukrainian Army, according to the Australian Federal Police (AFP).
- The United States Contributes $378 Million in Additional Funding to Syria US Dept. of State 30 Jul 2014 -- Press Statement by John Kerry, US Secretary of State
- Fact Sheet: United States Announces Additional Humanitarian Assistance for Syria Crisis US Dept. of State 30 Jul 2014
- 'Flagrant' violations of international law continue in Syria, Top UN relief official warns UN News Centre 30 Jul 2014 -- 'Flagrant' violations of international law continue in Syria, Top UN relief official warns With the United Nations and its partners in Syria begin to ramp up aid deliveries across battle lines, the Organization's Emergency Relief Coordinator warned today that attacks on civilians by all parties to the conflict and human rights abuses continue "in flagrant violation of the most basic principles of…international law."
- Lebanon Cracks Down on Syrian Refugees VOA 30 Jul 2014 -- Lebanese authorities have started to enforce new measures that would limit the number of Syrians entering Lebanon as part of efforts to reduce the more than one million refugees from the war-shattered nation already within their borders.
- Negotiator Named to Tackle Libyan Conflict VOA 30 Jul 2014 -- As Libya's rival factions fight in the country's two largest cities, the former head of Libya's interim Transitional National Congress, Mustapha Abdel Jalil, has been appointed to try to negotiate an end to the violence.
- Islamist Militants Seize Libyan Army Base in Benghazi VOA 30 Jul 2014 -- After days of fighting, Islamist groups in Libya have seized the headquarters of the Libyan special forces in the eastern city of Benghazi.
- UN envoy welcomes agreement of intent to form new central Somalia administration UN News Centre 30 Jul 2014 -- The United Nations envoy in Somalia welcomed today the agreement stating intent and principles for forming a new regional administration in the central part of the country.
- Central African Republic: Ban appoints Cameroonian general to lead UN peacekeeping force UN News Centre 30 Jul 2014 -- As the United Nations "re-hats" some of the African troops currently serving in the Central African Republic to a peacekeeping mission that will take over in mid-September, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today announced that the current African force commander will remain in charge under the UN flag.
- Security Council extends mandates of UN missions in Iraq, Cyprus UN News Centre 30 Jul 2014 -- The Security Council today unanimously approved resolutions extending the United Nations missions in Iraq and Cyprus, recognizing the vital role they continue to play in the maintenance of peace and security.
- S. Sudan Warring Parties Ready for Another Round of Talks VOA 30 Jul 2014 -- New peace talks between South Sudan's warring parties have been delayed by at least a day, as the two sides prepare for another round of negotiations. Hopes for a lasting peace are pinned to the process, which has repeatedly failed to end the seven-month conflict.
- Genocide Trial Begins for Aging Khmer Rouge Leaders VOA 30 Jul 2014 -- A United Nations-backed tribunal has begun the second trial of the two surviving senior members of the Khmer Rouge.
- Argentina, US Creditors Fail to Reach Deal; Default Imminent VOA 30 Jul 2014 -- Argentina's economic minister says the country will default on its debt.
- EU Releases New Sanctions List RFE/RL 30 Jul 2014 -- the joint stock concern Almaz-Antey Defense Corporation; Dobrolet, a subsidiary of a Russian state-owned airline; and the Russian National Commercial Bank.
- Explainer: New Western Sanctions Will Severely Hurt Russian Economy RFE/RL 30 Jul 2014 -- some $75 billion from Russia so far this year, or more than for all of 2013. That has sent the value of the ruble tumbling by some 9 percent and raised the price of imported goods.
- Russia Lashes Out at Latest Western Sanctions VOA 30 Jul 2014 -- Russia is lashing out at new U.S. and European economic sanctions imposed to protest what the West sees as Moscow's intervention in Ukraine.
- Russia Defiant In Face Of Unprecedented Western Sanctions RFE/RL 30 Jul 2014 -- Russia says unprecedented Western sanctions imposed on its financial, arms, and energy sectors over the Ukraine crisis would hurt the United States and the European Union.
- Russia Says EU Sanctions Will Hurt Energy Market in Europe RIA Novosti 30 Jul 2014 -- EU sanctions against Russia's energy sector will inevitably lead to a price hike on the European energy market, the Russian Foreign Ministry said Wednesday.
- US to Sustain Tangible Loss From 'Short-Sighted' Anti-Russian Sanctions – Moscow RIA Novosti 30 Jul 2014 -- The United States will experience "significant loss" due to its anti-Russian sanctions, used by Washington as revenge against Moscow's independent policies, the Russian Foreign Ministry said Wednesday.
- Tokyo Says Japan Prepares to Implement New Sanctions Against Russia RIA Novosti 30 Jul 2014 -- Japan is in the process of preparing for the implementation of its sanctions against Russia, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said at a press conference in Tokyo.
- US Pushing for Tehran's Missile Program in Multilateral Nuclear Deal RIA Novosti 30 Jul 2014 -- Tehran's missile program should be a part of the final agreement between the six world powers and Iran, Wendy Sherman, the lead US negotiator in the discussions and US under secretary of state for political affairs, said during a House Foreign Affairs Committee meeting.
- UN health agency moves to allay mounting fears over Ebola spread UN News Centre 30 Jul 2014 -- The United Nations World Health Organization (WHO) today advised that while travellers should be aware of Ebola, they will not contract the highly-contagious, often fatal disease unless they actually touch someone who is showing active symptoms.
- Peace Corps Volunteers Isolated in Liberia After Suspected Ebola Exposure VOA 30 Jul 2014 -- Two U.S. Peace Corps volunteers in Liberia have been isolated after suspected exposure to Ebola, although neither one is showing symptoms of the deadly virus.
- Nigeria Tracking 30,000 People at Risk of Contracting Ebola VOA 30 Jul 2014 -- Nigerian health authorities are in the process of tracing more than 30,000 people who could be at risk of contracting Ebola, after the virus surfaced in Lagos.
- African airline halts flights to Ebola-hit countries Iran Press TV 30 Jul 2014 -- Pan-African airline ASKY has suspended all flights to and from the capitals of Liberia and Sierra Leone over the Ebola health crisis in the two countries.
- Senate unveils new NSA reform bill Iran Press TV 30 Jul 2014 -- A US senator introduced a new legislation on Tuesday in order to ban massive collection of Americans' telephone records and Internet data.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|