26 July 2014 Military News
- Deploring attack on Afghan civilians, UN mission calls for prompt investigation UN News Centre 26 Jul 2014 -- The United Nations mission in Afghanistan strongly condemned the killing on Friday of civilians in the western province of Ghor, and called for a prompt investigation into the crime.
- U.S. Embassy in Tripoli Relocated DoD 26 Jul 2014
- Diplomats, Marines evacuated from US Embassy in Libya Iran Press TV 26 Jul 2014 -- The US Embassy in Libya was evacuated Saturday because of violence raging in the capital, Tripoli, according to the State Department.
- US Evacuates Embassy in Libya VOA 26 Jul 2014 -- The United States has temporarily closed its embassy in Libya and evacuated the staff to neighboring Tunisia because of heavy fighting near the embassy site in Tripoli.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Retired military officials ordered to return extra homes People's Daily 26 Jul 2014 -- China's military authorities have warned retired officials to return public housing if the number or size of the properties is deemed excessive.
- 14 Brigades, Helicopter Regiments to be Established in Russian Air Force in Coming Years RIA Novosti 26 Jul 2014 -- Fourteen army aviation brigades and separate helicopter regiments will be formed in the Russian Air Force in the next few years, Commander-in-Chief of the Russian Air Force said Saturday.
- Greenert: China Moving Quickly to Modernize Navy AFPS 26 Jul 2014 -- China's naval modernization program is moving at a rapid pace, the chief of U.S. naval operations said here yesterday.
- Hamas Fires Rockets After Truce Expires VOA 26 Jul 2014 -- Hamas militants have fired several rockets into Israel after refusing its offer to extend Saturday's 12-hour cease-fire.
- Kerry seeks permanent ceasefire in Gaza Iran Press TV 26 Jul 2014 -- US Secretary of State John Kerry has set out the conditions for a permanent ceasefire to end the deadly conflict in Gaza.
- Death toll from Israel war on Gaza surpasses 1,000 Iran Press TV 26 Jul 2014 -- Latest figures show the death toll from the ongoing Israel's war on the besieged Gaza Strip has exceeded 1,000 as more bodies are recovered from the rubble.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel's Phone Call with Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert, Minister of Defense of the Netherlands DoD 26 Jul 2014
- Intel Community Assists Flight MH17 Investigation AFPS 26 Jul 2014 -- Agencies throughout the U.S. intelligence community are collaborating to develop as complete a picture as possible of the events surrounding the downing of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17, Richard H. Ledgett Jr., the deputy director of the National Security Agency, said here today.
- US Defense Department Warns of Arms to Eastern Ukraine VOA 26 Jul 2014 -- The top U.S. military officer says he thinks Russia is a reluctant participant in Ukraine's conflict.
- Explosions Echo in East Ukraine as Russia Slams EU Sanctions VOA 26 Jul 2014 -- Fighting neared Donetsk Saturday, and explosions were heard within the rebel-controlled eastern city as the Ukrainian army pressed insurgents who have bolstered defenses after a string of defeats.
- Luhansk Region Disconnected from Ukraine's Power System after Projectile Hits Substation RIA Novosti 26 Jul 2014 -- Luhansk region has been disconnected from the country's power grid after primary substation was destroyed by a projectile, acting governor Irina Verigina reported Saturday.
- Obama Administration Shares Responsibility for Ukrainian Conflict - Moscow RIA Novosti 26 Jul 2014 -- The Obama administration shares responsibility for the conflict in Ukraine and its grave consequences, the Russian Foreign Ministry said in a statement Saturday.
- ISIL terrorists demolish shrines in Nineveh Province Iran Press TV 26 Jul 2014 -- ISIL Takfiri militants overrunning parts of the troubled northern Iraq have demolished two more religious sites in the volatile city of Mosul.
- Tehran to Continue Supporting Stability, Security in Iraq - Iranian President RIA Novosti 26 Jul 2014 -- Iran is interested in stability and security in Iraq and is determined to further assist its development, Mehr news agency reported Saturday citing Iran's President Hassan Rouhani.
- Over 350k Somalis in need of food aid: UN Iran Press TV 26 Jul 2014 -- More than 350,000 people in Somalia's capital city of Mogadishu are in acute need of food aid, the United Nations has warned.
- CAR's Seleka military chief rejects truce Iran Press TV 26 Jul 2014 -- The military chief of the mostly Muslim Seleka group in the Central African Republic (CAR) has refused to accept a recent ceasefire with anti-Balaka Christian militants.
- Nigeria issues red alert on Ebola death Iran Press TV 26 Jul 2014 -- Nigeria has placed the country on red alert after confirming the death of a Liberian man who was carrying the Ebola virus.
- Nigeria on Alert Following Ebola Death VOA 26 Jul 2014 -- Nigeria has stepped up surveillance at its ports and borders, following the country's first confirmed death from the Ebola virus.
- EU Sanctions Against Russia Put Under Threat Security Cooperation - Moscow RIA Novosti 26 Jul 2014 -- By imposing additional sanctions against Russia, the European Union puts under threat international cooperation
- EU imposes sanctions on Russia intelligence chiefs Iran Press TV 26 Jul 2014 -- The European Union has targeted two Russian intelligence chiefs with its sanctions, after announcing it was working on adopting tougher economic sanctions against Moscow.
- Russia Chides EU, U.S., Says Sanctions Endanger Security Cooperation RFE/RL 26 Jul 2014 -- The Russian Foreign Ministry says additional sanctions imposed by the European Union over Moscow's role in the Ukraine crisis put at risk cooperation over security issues.
- Sanctions fail to cut Iran gas output: EIA ISNA 26 Jul 2014 -- The US Energy Information Administration (EIA) admitted that international sanctions have failed to stop Iran's natural gas production growth.
- Snowden: NSA, Saudi Arabia spying on Iran ISNA 26 Jul 2014 -- The former US NSA contractor Edward Snowden has recently released documents showing that NSA and Saudi Arabia have closely cooperated, spying on Iran.
- NSA expands spying cooperation with Saudi Arabia: Leaked memo Iran Press TV 26 Jul 2014 -- The US National Security Agency (NSA) last year significantly expanded its intelligence cooperation with Saudi Arabia, one of the world's most repressive and abusive regimes, a newly leaked document shows.
- NSA Cooperates with 'Human Rights Violator' Saudi Arabia - Report RIA Novosti 26 Jul 2014 -- The US National Security Agency (NSA) last year significantly expanded its cooperation with Saudi Arabia in spying, despite Washington's accusations of human rights violations in the country, according to the Edward Snowden's latest revelation.
- Chinese peacekeepers in Mali provide assistance after plane crash People's Daily 26 Jul 2014 -- The first batch of Chinese peacekeepers stationed in Mali has started on Friday its humanitarian assistance after a fatal plane crash in the West African nation.
- Kim Jong Un Issues Order on Promoting Military Ranks of KPA Commanding Officers KCNA 26 Jul 2014 -- Supreme Commander of the Korean People's Army Kim Jong Un on July 17 issued an order on promoting the military ranks of commanding officers of the KPA on the occasion of the war victory day.
- Kim Jong Un Gives Field Guidance to Wonsan Shoe Factory KCNA 26 Jul 2014 -- Kim Jong Un, first secretary of the Workers' Party of Korea, first chairman of the National Defence Commission of the DPRK and supreme commander of the Korean People's Army, provided field guidance to the Wonsan Shoe Factory.
- Justice Is Inviolable: KCNA Commentary KCNA 26 Jul 2014 -- The U.S. has made every possible effort to distort the truth about the Korean war over the past more than six decades. The U.S. and south Korean puppet forces are now going so foolish as to paint the day of their defeat as 'day of victory in the war,' a political chicanery.
- U.S. Should Not Forget Disgraceful Defeat in War: Rodong Sinmun KCNA 26 Jul 2014 -- Rodong Sinmun Saturday in an article warns that the U.S. should not forget the history of its ignominious defeat in the Korean war.
- War Provokers Are Doomed to Ruin: Rodong Sinmun KCNA 26 Jul 2014 -- The U.S. should bear in mind that the war provokers are doomed to a miserable ruin and the defenders of justice deserve a great victory.
- History: U.S. Suffers Shameful Defeat in Korean War KCNA 26 Jul 2014 -- On June 25, 1950, the U.S. imperialists ignited a war against the young Democratic People's Republic of Korea.
- Kim Il Sung Overpowers U.S. Forces with Superb Stratagem KCNA 26 Jul 2014 -- The Korean people's victory in the 1950-1953 Fatherland Liberation War was entirely attributable to President Kim Il Sung's Juche-based military idea, superb stratagem and distinguished commanding art.
- Korean People's Tradition of Winning Victory in War Will Last Forever KCNA 26 Jul 2014 -- 61 years have passed since the DPRK won the great Fatherland Liberation War.
- Downpour Hits DPRK KCNA 26 Jul 2014 -- Typhoon-10, which turned to low pressure, moving northeast through the central West Sea of Korea, brought much rainfalls to most areas of the DPRK between 18:00 Thursday and 18:00 Saturday.
- Command to Continue Planned Tasks Sent to Russia's Foton-M Satellite - Roscosmos RIA Novosti 26 Jul 2014 -- The command to continue accomplishing the scheduled tasks has been sent to the Russian Foton-M biosatellite after communication with the spacecraft was restored, the representative of Russia's Federal Space Agency Roscosmos told RIA Novosti Saturday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|