25 July 2014 Military News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 25 Jul 2014 [PDF]
- Last Tornados to go to Afghanistan UK MOD 25 Jul 2014 -- RAF Marham's 31 Squadron have made final preparations to become the last Tornado GR4 squadron to deploy to Afghanistan.
- Jordanian Army ends mission in Helmand province, Afghanistan USMC News 25 Jul 2014 -- Soldiers from the Kingdom of Jordan gathered for a ceremony marking their end of mission with Regional Command (Southwest) aboard Camp Leatherneck, Helmand province, Afghanistan, as they bid farewell to their coalition counterparts, July 23, 2014.
- Afghan Election Audit Marred By Disagreements, Delays RFE/RL 25 Jul 2014 -- For just more than a week, hundreds of national and international auditors have crammed into the Independent Election Commission (IEC) headquarters in Kabul to separate fraudulent ballots from clean votes. But with just a fraction of the 8.1 million ballots inspected, the process has attracted widespread criticism and is lagging behind schedule.
- Cape Ray Crew Continues Neutralizing Syrian Chemical Materials AFPS 25 Jul 2014 -- Teams aboard the U.S. ship MV Cape Ray continue to neutralize materials from Syria's declared chemical stockpile, Pentagon spokesman Army Col. Steve Warren said today.
- DoD Supports Wildland Firefight in Pacific Northwest AFPS 25 Jul 2014 -- As fires rage in two states in the Pacific Northwest, Defense Department fire-suppression efforts are underway with two Modular Airborne Fire Fighting System-capable C-130s from U.S. Northern Command in Colorado Springs, Colorado, Pentagon spokesman Army Col. Steve Warren said today.
Defense Policy / Programs
- VMFA-122 trains with fifth-generation fighters USMC News 25 Jul 2014 -- Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 122 conducted Dissimilar Air Combat Training against the 199th Fighter Squadron while aboard Marine Corps Base Hawaii during the 2014 Rim of the Pacific exercise, July 1, 2014.
- 3/3, ROK Marines conduct sea-based operation USMC News 25 Jul 2014 -- U.S. Marines with India Company, 3rd Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment, teamed up with Republic of Korea Marines and attachments from the New Zealand Army to conduct a simulated assault on opposing forces provided by 1st Battalion, 12th Marine Regiment at Kahuku Training Area, Hawaii, July 11, 2014 as part of the 2014 Rim of the Pacific exercise.
- Team Vinson Prepares for Deployment NNS 25 Jul 2014 -- USS Carl Vinson (CVN 70) and Carrier Strike Group 1 (CSG-1) Sailors and their family members prepared for a 10-month deployment by attending a pre-deployment brief in the ship's hangar bay, July. 23.
- USS Makin Island Amphibious Ready Group and 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit Deploy NNS 25 Jul 2014 -- Nearly 4,000 Sailors and Marines from the Makin Island Amphibious Ready Group (ARG) and 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) departed San Diego on July 25 for a deployment in support of the Navy's maritime strategy.
- Kendall: F-35 Rollout Marks U.S.-Australia Partnership Milestone AFPS 25 Jul 2014 -- The official rollout of the first two F-35 Lightning II joint strike fighter aircraft for the Royal Australian Air Force is a milestone in the U.S.-Australia partnership, the undersecretary of defense for acquisition, technology and logistics said yesterday.
- Dempsey: Russian Attacks Change Europe's Security Landscape AFPS 25 Jul 2014 -- Russia's decision to fire artillery from within Russia onto Ukrainian military positions transforms the security environment throughout Eastern Europe, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said here yesterday.
- Donald Cook Returns to Rota after First FDNF Patrol NNS 25 Jul 2014 -- Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Donald Cook (DDG 75) returned to Naval Station Rota, Spain, July 25, after completing her first patrol in the U.S. 6th Fleet area of operations.
- SECNAV Announces Contract for Navy Photovoltaic Array Project NNS 25 Jul 2014 -- Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus announced today that Naval Facilities Engineering Command (NAVFAC) Pacific awarded a contract to Pacific Energy Solutions LLC, for the procurement of electricity produced from renewable energy generation systems.
- Navy, Air Force Air Traffic Controllers Cross-train for Emergencies NNS 25 Jul 2014 -- Air National Guardsmen with the 245th and 259th Air Traffic Control (ATC) Squadrons conducted air traffic control training at Naval Air Station Key West July 21-25.
- George Washington Embarks FASTPAC Marines For ADIUTRIX SPEAR NNS 25 Jul 2014 -- Twenty-two Marines assigned to Fleet Anti-Terrorism Security Team Pacific (FASTPAC) embarked the U.S. Navy's forward-deployed aircraft carrier USS George Washington (CVN 73) as part of ADIUTRIX SPEAR 14-2, July 23-25.
- Over 50% of US oversea troop deployments are in Asia Pacific: NGO People's Daily 25 Jul 2014 -- A Chinese non-governmental organization issued reports on Wednesday on the 2013 military power of the US and Japan.
- Dempsey Explains Danger Posed By Extremist Groups AFPS 24 Jul 2014 -- It's important to recognize that the various religious extremist groups that threaten the United States do not share the same ideologies, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said here today.
- NATO Considers Reinforcing Military Base in Poland RIA Novosti 25 Jul 2014 -- NATO is expected to consider supplying a base in Szczecin, Poland, with additional personnel and equipment to help the alliance respond faster to any threat posed by Russia, a NATO military officer told RIA Novosti.
- US to Give Ukrainian Army $33 Mln in 2014 – Ambassador RIA Novosti 25 Jul 2014 -- The United States will provide financial support to Ukrainian government troops by allocating them $33 million by the end of this year, US ambassador to Ukraine, Geoffrey Pyatt said at a briefing on Friday.
- Indonesian defense minister meets with senior Chinese military official People's Daily 25 Jul 2014 -- Indonesian Defense Minister Purnomo Yugisantoro met here with Chinese general Fan Changlong on Thursday, according to media report.
- Russian Reconnaissance Officers Master Drone Use at Foreign Military Base RIA Novosti 25 Jul 2014 -- Russian reconnaissance officers stationed at the 102nd military base in Armenia are currently in training, including specific exercise to practice the use of unmanned air vehicles or drones, the press service of the Southern Military District told RIA Novosti on Friday.
- Borei-Class Submarines Enter Service Ahead of Russian Navy Day RIA Novosti 25 Jul 2014 -- Two Russian submarines are entering service just in time for the Russian Navy Day, which falls on July 27 this year: a Yasen-class nuclear attack submarine Severodvinsk and a Borei-class ballistic missile submarine Alexander Nevsky.
- Chinese Airlines Brace for Dramatic Losses Due to Military Drills – Report RIA Novosti 25 Jul 2014 -- China's airlines prepare to announce collapses in profits and dramatic losses in the wake of Chinese land forces' military exercises, with about 26,000 flights being canceled, The Financial Times reported on Thursday.
- July 25, 2014 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 25 Jul 2014
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Josh Earnest, 07/25/14 The White House 25 Jul 2014
- DoD News: Contracts for July 25, 2014
- Russia's Largest Defense Consortium Sees Canada's Sanctions as Political Bias RIA Novosti 25 Jul 2014 -- Canada's decision to impose sanctions on Russia's Almaz-Antey Corporation is politically biased and taken under pressure of the United States, the company's press service stated on Friday.
- Canada Imposes Sanctions Against Key Russian Banks, Defense Firms RIA Novosti 25 Jul 2014 -- Canada has included a range of Russian banks and entities related to Russia's arms industry on a "black list" over the Ukrainian crisis, a statement on the website of the country's prime minister has said.
- 25 July 2014 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 25 Jul 2014
- Pentagon Warns of New Arms to Ukraine Rebels VOA 25 Jul 2014 -- The Pentagon warned Friday that an "imminent" delivery of Russian artillery to separatists battling government forces in eastern Ukraine creates "a great concern" for civilian casualties.
- Evolving Ukraine Crisis Tests Obama Foreign Policy VOA 25 Jul 2014 -- Just hours after reports that Malaysian Airlines flight 17 had been shot down over eastern Ukraine, the stark reality that 298 civilians from nearly a dozen nations had just become the latest victims in a Russian-backed separatist movement came as somewhat of a jolt.
- 230,000 flee homes in Ukraine crisis: UNHCR Iran Press TV 25 Jul 2014 -- The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) says 230,000 Ukrainians have fled their homes amid Kiev's military operations against pro-Russia forces in the country's volatile east.
- Now You See It, Now You Don't: Rewriting The Ukraine Crisis RFE/RL 25 Jul 2014 -- Knowing how and when to make a screen grab has suddenly become one of the basic skills of journalism.
- EU To Add More Names, Entities To Ukraine Sanctions List RFE/RL 25 Jul 2014 -- The European Union on July 25 is expected to add to its sanctions list 15 Ukrainian and Russian individuals and 18 entities over their role in the Ukraine crisis.
- Kiev Should Have Informed Airlines About Possible Use of Buk Missiles in Advance - Russia RIA Novosti 25 Jul 2014 -- If the Ukrainian military were aware about the possible use of Buk missiles in the southeast of the country, they should have informed the crews flying over the territory, the head of Russia's Federal Air Transport Agency (Rosaviatsiya) Alexandr Neradko said Friday.
- Ukrainian Army Used Phosphorus Bombs on Civilians - Russian Defense Ministry RIA Novosti 25 Jul 2014 -- Russia says it has evidence that Ukraine used phosphorus bombs on populated areas in the country's east, the deputy head of operations at Russia's General Staff said on Friday.
- EU Receives, Assesses Russian Defense Ministry's Information on Malaysian Air Crash RIA Novosti 25 Jul 2014 -- The European Union has received information from the Russian Defense Ministry on the tragic Malaysian Airlines passenger jet crash in eastern Ukraine and is currently assessing it, EU Ambassador to Russia Vygaudas Ušackas told RIA Novosti on Friday.
- Russia Regrets Hostile US Rhetoric, Rejects Groundless Accusations Over Ukraine RIA Novosti 25 Jul 2014 -- Moscow rejects the recent «unfounded public accusations», made by the United States over Ukraine and regrets that Washington continues to intesify tensions in bilateral relations, the Russian Foreign Ministry said in a statement on Friday.
- UN and partners urge humanitarian ceasefire, return to dialogue by Israelis, Palestinians UN News Centre 25 Jul 2014 -- The United Nations and its diplomatic partners today called for a seven-day humanitarian ceasefire, as they continue their efforts to bring about an end to the bloodshed and destruction that is tearing apart the lives of so many civilians in Gaza and Israel.
- US Official: Israel Declares 12 Hour Cease-Fire in Gaza Saturday VOA 25 Jul 2014 -- A U.S. official says Israel has declared a 12-hour long cease-fire in Gaza for Saturday.
- During Skype call, Ban voices gratitude for courageous efforts of UN staff in Gaza UN News Centre 25 Jul 2014 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today spoke with United Nations staff in Gaza via Skype and thanked them for their courageous efforts amid the ongoing conflict, which has now displaced over 140,000 people in the area.
- Death toll from Israeli attacks on Gaza hits 830 Iran Press TV 25 Jul 2014 -- Latest figures show the death toll from fresh Israeli aerial and ground attacks against Palestinians in the besieged Gaza Strip has risen to at least 830.
- Israel Rejects Gaza Cease-Fire Proposal VOA 25 Jul 2014 -- Israel has rejected a proposal presented by U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry for a cease-fire between Israel's military and Hamas militants in the Gaza Strip, Israeli medi reported..
- Impact of Iraq conflict on minorities 'devastating and irreversible' - UN rights experts UN News Centre 25 Jul 2014 -- Two United Nations human rights experts warned today that ethnic and religious minorities in Iraq are bearing the "devastating and irreversible" brunt of the conflict that has once again engulfed the country.
- Turkish Kurds want Ankara to Declare Stance on ISIL VOA 25 Jul 2014 -- The leadership of the Kurdish rebel group PKK has called on Ankara to 'declare its stance on ISIL.'
- Lebanon Deploys Troops to Halt Syrian Jihadist Spillover VOA 25 Jul 2014 -- Lebanese security forces say a tip from U.S. intelligence agencies enabled them to pre-empt an assault planned by Syrian jihadists on predominantly Shi'ite Muslim villages in the Bekaa Valley. The intelligence disclosure is part of a mounting Western effort to help Lebanon's army curb violent sectarian spillover from Syria's civil war, analysts say.
- Arms race in Syria must be stopped to reduce civilian suffering, says head of UN panel UN News Centre 25 Jul 2014 -- As 'gross human rights violations' continue in Syria, the head of a United Nations-appointed human rights probe today implored Member States to stop supplying weapons to both sides.
- UN chief welcomes roadmap adopted by parties at inter-Malian peace talks UN News Centre 25 Jul 2014 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has congratulated the Malian parties on the adoption of a roadmap at the end of the first round of peace talks, while voicing his deep concern at the deteriorating security situation in parts of northern Mali.
- UN warns of 'hunger catastrophe' for South Sudanese children UN News Centre 25 Jul 2014 -- Two United Nations humanitarian agencies today called for action to stop a potential famine in South Sudan which they said is being allowed to happen, just as it occurred in Somalia and the Horn of Africa three years ago.
- Troubled by escalating violence in Libya, ICC Prosecutor urges halt to fighting UN News Centre 25 Jul 2014 -- The Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court said today she is "deeply troubled" by the escalating violence in Libya, and called on all parties to refrain from committing criminal acts that may fall within the jurisdiction of the Court.
- UN agencies urge greater support to fight mounting hunger crisis in Africa's Sahel region UN News Centre 25 Jul 2014 -- Two United Nations agencies today urged the international donor community to renew its commitment to fight hunger and food insecurity in the Sahel by strengthening the resilience of destitute families in the region.
- Al-Shabab Commanders Killed Near Mogadishu VOA 25 Jul 2014 -- African Union security forces say they killed two senior al-Shabab commanders during a joint operation with Somali troops in a region north of Mogadishu.
- Ukraine Names Hroysman Acting Prime Minister RFE/RL 25 Jul 2014 -- The Ukrainian government has officially named Volodymyr Hroysman as the country's acting prime minister.
- EU Sanctions Hit Russian Intelligence Officials, Rebel Leaders RFE/RL 25 Jul 2014 -- The European Union has added to its sanctions list 15 individuals and 18 entities over their role in the Ukraine crisis.
- EU reaches preliminary deal on Russia sanctions Iran Press TV 25 Jul 2014 -- European Union (EU) ambassadors have reached a preliminary deal on widening sanctions against Russia over the crisis in Ukraine.
- Libya can try ex-Gaddafi spy chief: ICC Iran Press TV 25 Jul 2014 -- The International Criminal Court (ICC) has upheld a decision which allows Libyan authorities to try Muammar Gaddafi's ex-spy chief Abdullah Senussi.
- Ousted Kyrgyz President Bakiev Sentenced To Life RFE/RL 25 Jul 2014 -- Former Kyrgyz President Kurmanbek Bakiev has been sentenced to life in prison in absentia for involvement in the 2010 killing of protesters during the uprising that ousted him.
- Thailand's Junta Moving Further Away From Democratic Rule, Critics Say VOA 25 Jul 2014 -- Critics of Thailand's new interim charter are saying it does just the opposite of what the military claims: paving the way for a return to democratic civil rule. Further reaction to the temporary constitution, which was issued this week.
- Liberian Man Tests Positive for Ebola in Nigeria VOA 25 Jul 2014 -- Nigerian officials say a man who died in a Lagos hospital Friday has tested positive for the dreaded ebola virus.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|