14 July 2014 Military News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 14 Jul 2014 [PDF]
- US: Afghan Election Loser Will Play Role in Government VOA 14 Jul 2014 -- The United States says whatever outcome of Afghanistan's election audit, the candidate who does not have the most votes will play a formal role in the new government.
- UN mission welcomes efforts to begin audit of Afghan presidential run-off vote UN News Centre 14 Jul 2014 -- The top United Nations official in Afghanistan has hailed the efforts by the country's Independent Election Commission (IEC) to start the implementation of an audit plan to help resolve concerns over the results of the presidential run-off poll.
- Infantrymen engage Taliban insurgents during 4th of July weekend USMC News 14 Jul 2014 -- While many Americans in the United States were celebrating during the Fourth of July weekend, Marines with Bravo Company, 1st Battalion, 7th Marine Regiment, were engaging Taliban insurgents in Helmand province, Afghanistan.
- Afghan National Army soldiers train, graduate their own at Regional Corps Battle School for first time in Afghanistan USMC News 14 Jul 2014 -- Soldiers with the Afghan National Army graduated from a six-week combat training course at the Regional Corps Battle School aboard Camp Shorabak, Afghanistan, July 10, 2014.
- Background Briefing on Afghanistan Elections US Dept. of State 14 Jul 2014
- Iraq Assessment Team Reports Arrive in Pentagon AFPS 14 Jul 2014 -- Assessment teams working in Iraq have delivered their findings through the chain of command, and they have arrived at Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel's office, Pentagon Press Secretary Navy Rear Adm. John Kirby said here today.
- Pentagon Taking Hard, Cautious Look at Iraq Assessment Reports VOA 14 Jul 2014 -- The Defense Department confirms it has received the written reports of U.S. teams sent to Iraq to assess the state of the country's military and security situation. But officials caution it still could take some time before any decision is made on what should happen next.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Air Force Announces Changes to Headquarters Organization DoD 14 Jul 2014-- Air Force leaders announced changes to headquarters staff manning and organization. The Air Force will create efficiencies by deactivating and realigning organizations at headquarters Air Force, major commands (MAJCOMs), numbered air forces and field operating agencies, resulting in savings of $1.6 billion across the Air Force in the next five years.
- Air Force creates Air Force Installation and Mission Support Center AFNS 14 Jul 2014 -- The Air Force is centralizing its installation support management within a newly created Air Force Installation and Mission Support Center, Air Force officials announced July 11.
- ISR Agency becomes part of newest Numbered Air Force AFNS 14 Jul 2014 -- The Air Force Intelligence Surveillance and Reconnaissance Agency is being realigned from Headquarters Air Force as a Field Operating Agency to become part of a new operational Numbered Air Force, or NAF, under Air Combat Command, or ACC, officials said July 11.
- USS Vella Gulf Departs Black Sea After Successful Engagements with Partners and Allies in the Region NNS 14 Jul 2014 -- Ticonderoga-class guided-missile cruiser USS Vella Gulf (CG 72) departed the Black Sea, July 14, after completing a round of engagements designed to strengthen ties with partners and allies in the Black Sea region.
- The Marine Corps Warfighting Lab Showcases the UHAC During RIMPAC 2014 NNS 14 Jul 2014 -- The Marine Corps Warfighting Lab sponsored an Advanced Warfighting Experiment, featuring a half-scale Ultra Heavy-lift Amphibious Connector (UHAC) prototype at the Marine Corps Training Area Bellows, July 11.
- DoD Official Discusses F-35 at Farnborough Airshow AFPS 14 Jul 2014 -- Safety is the first consideration in whether the F-35 Thunderbolt II joint strike fighter appears at the Farnborough International Airshow in England this week, a senior Defense Department official said today.
- DoD Official Outlines Issues for September's NATO Summit AFPS 14 Jul 2014 -- As NATO prepares for a summit in September, a senior Defense Department official today characterized the alliance as being at a turning point, with questions emerging about the kinds of missions it should take on post-Afghanistan, appropriate levels of defense spending by its members, and whether NATO publics will question the alliance's relevance going forward.
- DoD Statement on Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel's Meeting with Qatar Minister of State for Defense Affairs Hamad bin Ali al-Attiyah DoD 14 Jul 2014 -- Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel hosted Qatar's Minister of State for Defense Affairs His Excellency Hamad bin Ali al-Attiyah at the Pentagon today to sign letters of offer and acceptance for Apache helicopters and Patriot and Javelin defense systems valued at $11 billion dollars.
- Coastal Riverine Force: The Brown Water Navy NNS 14 Jul 2014 -- Reserve Sailors received a glimpse of the unique missions carried out by Navy Coastal Riverine Squadron 4, aboard Joint Expeditionary Base Little Creek, Va., July 12.
- First Modernized Il-38N Fighter Jet to Be Delivered to Russian Navy on July 15 RIA Novosti 14 Jul 2014 -- The first modernized Il-38N anti-submarine warfare plane will be delivered to the Russian Navy on July 15, an Ilyushin Aviation Complex spokesperson told RIA Novosti.
- Russian Paratroopers to Receive 800 Automatic Cannons by Year's End RIA Novosti 14 Jul 2014 -- Russian paratroopers are to receive more than 800 30-millimeter 2A42 automatic cannons by the end of the year, military spokesman Yevgeny Meshkov said Monday.
- Two More GLONASS Stations to Open in Brazil - Brazilian Foreign Minister RIA Novosti 14 Jul 2014 -- Two More GLONASS stations are to open in the Brazilian states of Pernambuco and Rio Grande do Sul, Brazilian Foreign Minister Luiz Alberto Figueiredo said in an interview with RIA Novosti Monday.
- PM announces £1.1 billion investment in capabilities for the armed forces UK MOD 14 Jul 2014 -- David Cameron unveils a joint long-term plan between government and industry to secure a thriving defence sector.
- RAF Voyager aircraft arrive on schedule UK MOD 14 Jul 2014 -- Voyager flies into Farnborough for the International Air Show as MOD confirms all 9 aircraft have now been delivered to the RAF.
- Navy's sub-hunting helicopters enter service early UK MOD 14 Jul 2014 -- The UK's next generation of submarine-hunting Merlin helicopters have entered service with the Royal Navy 4 months earlier than planned.
- Young Emiratis Signing Up for Military Service for First Time in History RIA Novosti 14 Jul 2014 -- Hundreds of young Emiratis started registering for military service in special recruitment centers all over the country for the first time in history Monday.
- Daily Briefing by the Press Secretary, 07/14/2014 The White House 14 Jul 2014
- 14 July 2014 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 14 Jul 2014
- Israeli airstrikes kill 40 Palestinians in 24 hours Iran Press TV 14 Jul 2014 -- Some 40 more Palestinians have been killed in Israel's ongoing airstrikes on the besieged Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours.
- Ground Operations in Gaza Not Ruled Out - Israeli Ambassador RIA Novosti 14 Jul 2014 -- Israel has not ruled out using ground operations in the Gaza Strip, Israeli Ambassador to Russia Dorit Golender said Monday.
- Israel Intercepts Unmanned Aircraft, Continues Gaza Attacks RIA Novosti 14 Jul 2014 -- The Israeli Army attacked approximately 40 targets in the Gaza Strip and shot down a Palestinian unmanned aircraft in the south, the Israeli military press service reported Monday.
- Pressure Mounts for Israel-Hamas Cease-fire VOA 14 Jul 2014 -- Worldwide pressure is mounting for a cease-fire in the weeklong clash between Israel and Hamas militants in the Gaza Strip, but the warring parties continued their attacks across the skies on Monday.
- Questions Remain About Hamas Drone VOA 14 Jul 2014 -- There are still more questions than answers regarding a drone Israel claims to have shot down.
- On visit to Gaza, senior UN humanitarian officials call for halt to Israeli offensive UN News Centre 14 Jul 2014 -- Concerned about more civilian casualties in a possible Israeli military incursion into Gaza, senior United Nations humanitarian officials on a visit to the area called today for an immediate return to calm and a ceasefire to avoid further loss of life.
- Iraqi forces kill 150 Takfiri militants Iran Press TV 14 Jul 2014 -- Iraqi forces have killed more than 150 Takfiri militants in recent operations across Iraq.
- Iraq militants seize area near Baghdad Iran Press TV 14 Jul 2014 -- Takfiri militants in Iraq have taken control of part of the town of Dhuluiyah near Baghdad, as they pressed a fresh offensive against the Iraqi capital.
- Ukraine Says Russia Increasing Role In Fighting RFE/RL 14 Jul 2014 -- Ukrainian officials have accused Russian Army officers of fighting with separatists in eastern Ukraine and suggested a military transport plane was shot down with a rocket from Russian territory.
- Fact Sheet: Russia's Continuing Support for Armed Separatists in Ukraine and Ukraine's Efforts Toward Peace, Unity, and Stability US Dept. of State 14 Jul 2014
- Ukraine Says Russian Army Officers Fighting with Rebels VOA 14 Jul 2014 -- Ukraine on Monday accused Russian army officers of fighting alongside separatists in the country's east.
- Ukraine denies shelling Russia's Donetsk, says 'army not deployed there' VoR 14 Jul 2014 -- Ukraine's National Guard says it had nothing to do with the shelling of the Russian town of Donetsk in the Rostov region on Sunday, July 13. 'The Ukrainian National Guard command categorically denies reports that the National Guard was involved in the shelling of the Russian town of Donetsk on July 13. Again, the National Guard is not deployed in the cited district, or in a territory matching the shell's trajectory,' the National Guard announced. This was a response to Moscow saying that the Russian government 'knew exactly where the gunfire was coming from'.
- Moscow mulls 'targeted strikes' on Ukraine Iran Press TV 14 Jul 2014 -- Russia is considering targeted retaliatory strikes against Ukraine after shells fired from inside Ukraine hit Russian territory, killing a civilian, media say.
- Pro-Russians claim they downed Ukraine military plane Iran Press TV 14 Jul 2014 -- Pro-Russia forces in eastern Ukraine say they have shot down a Ukrainian military plane.
- Ukraine Accuses Russia Of Building Up Forces On Border RFE/RL 14 Jul 2014 -- Kyiv is accusing Russia of building up forces on its border with Ukraine and says that separatists backed by 'Russian mercenaries' are firing on Ukrainian border guards in an attempt to bring armored vehicles into the country.
- Investigators Say 7 Artillery Shells from Ukraine Landed in Russia Sunday RIA Novosti 14 Jul 2014 -- At least seven artillery shells fired from Ukraine, landed in Russia Sunday, a spokesman for the Russian Investigative Committee said Monday.
- Poroshenko Plans to Change Military Tactics in East Ukraine, Strengthen Defense of Border RIA Novosti 14 Jul 2014 -- Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko has announced the need for several changes in military tactics that would narrow the zone of special operations, according to the president's press service.
- Russia Considering 'Surgical Strike' on Ukraine - Report RIA Novosti 14 Jul 2014 -- Moscow is considering "surgical retaliatory strikes" on the Ukrainian territory after the standoff has led to first civilian victims among Russians on Russia's territory, a Kremlin source told Kommersant Monday.
- Amidst fierce clashes in Libya, Ban urges need for dialogue UN News Centre 14 Jul 2014 -- Extremely concerned by the dramatic increase in violence endangering civilians in the Libyan capital, Tripoli, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today called for a halt to the fighting and a return to the country's political objectives.
- In Cameroon, Boko Haram Fighters' Bodies Quickly Disappear VOA 14 Jul 2014 -- Cameroon's military says Nigerian Boko Haram militants attacked a military post, sparking a gun battle with soldiers. Local residents note that each time Boko Haram battles Cameroon's military, the bodies of dead militants are buried quickly so they cannot be identified.
- Boko Haram Claims Lagos, Abuja Attacks VOA 14 Jul 2014 -- The leader of Boko Haram claimed responsibility for a recent bombing in Lagos, which, if confirmed, would be the militant group's first attack in the Nigerian commercial capital.
- Lebanon faces 'national calamity' as refugee crisis deepens, UN relief official warns UN News Centre 14 Jul 2014 -- The top United Nations relief official in Lebanon today warned of the implications for Lebanon as the number of refugees in the country grows amid the ongoing conflict in Syria as well as unrest in Iraq and now Gaza.
- Hundreds of foreigners holed up in South Sudan camps IRIN 14 Jul 2014 -- Among the 100,000 civilians holed up in UN bases in South Sudan since fighting broke out in mid-December 2013 between supporters and opponents of President Salva Kiir are several hundred citizens from Eritrea, Somalia and Ethiopia.
- Thai junta to send back Myanmar refugees Iran Press TV 14 Jul 2014 -- Thailand's ruling junta says it plans to send home 100,000 refugees who have been living in camps for two decades and more along the border with Myanmar.
- New UN survey shows 10 million Yemenis still struggle for food UN News Centre 14 Jul 2014 -- A new United Nations survey has found that over 10 million Yemenis – more than 40 per cent of the population – do not know where their next meal will come from.
- Kerry Meets Iran's Zarif In Vienna Nuclear Talks RFE/RL 14 Jul 2014 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry and his Iranian counterpart, Mohammad Javad Zarif, are meeting in Vienna as talks over Iran's nuclear program continue.
- NSA Whistleblower Snowden Criticizes UK Emergency Surveillance Bill RIA Novosti 14 Jul 2014 -- Former US National Security Agency whistleblower Edward Snowden has criticized a new surveillance bill that British lawmakers are pushing to pass this week, The Guardian reported.
- Not a zero-sum game for China, U.S. in Latin America People's Daily 14 Jul 2014 -- Just over a year after Xi Jinping's visit to three Latin American countries, the Chinese president sets foot again on the continent Monday with a comprehensive agenda to uplift ties and deepen cooperation.
- DPRK Premier Discusses Steps to Prevent Flood Damage KCNA 14 Jul 2014 -- DPRK Premier Pak Pong Ju made a field survey of the work to prevent flood damage.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|