05 July 2014 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- JS Kunisaki Arrives in Tacloban for Pacific Partnership 2014 NNS 05 Jul 2014 -- The Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force's JS Kunisaki (LST 4003), carrying a multinational crew of U.S., Australian, Malaysian and Japanese personnel, arrived in Tacloban July 4 as part of Pacific Partnership 2014 (PP14).
- RIMPAC Medical Exchange Conference Held Aboard PLA(N) Peace Ark NNS 05 Jul 2014 -- PEARL HARBOR (NNS) - The Chinese People's Liberation Army Navy (PLA(N)) hospital ship Peace Ark (T-AH 886) hosted a medical exchange conference as part of Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) Exercise 2014 in Pearl Harbor July 3.
- NATO, Russia Launch Black Sea Drills RFE/RL 05 Jul 2014 -- NATO and Russia both launched on July 4 naval exercises in the Black Sea amid strained ties between the Kremlin and the West over the crisis in Ukraine.
- Xi's visit new milestone for China-S.Korea ties: Chinese FM People's Daily 05 Jul 2014 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping's short yet fruitful visit to South Korea set a new milestone for the future development of bilateral ties, Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi said Friday.
- Xi's visit a new dawn for China-ROK ties People's Daily 05 Jul 2014 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping's visit to the Republic of Korea (ROK) could be the beginning of a new era in China-ROK relations.
- Kim Jong Un Guides KPA Ground, Naval, Air and Anti-Air Forces' Drill for Landing on Island KCNA 05 Jul 2014 -- Supreme Commander of the Korean People's Army Kim Jong Un, first secretary of the Workers' Party of Korea and first chairman of the National Defence Commission of the DPRK, guided the drill of the KPA ground, naval, air and anti-air forces for landing on an island.
- ISIL Chief Allegedly Gives Sermon In Mosul RFE/RL 05 Jul 2014 -- The head of the Islamic militants who control territory in Syria and Iraq has allegedly been shown giving a sermon in Iraq.
- Islamists destroy religious shrines and historical heritage of Iraq VoR 05 Jul 2014 -- According to refugees, extremists have demolished several religious shrines with bulldozers and burned down historical monuments, including mosques. Gunmen from the terrorist organization 'Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant' (ISIL) in Iraq, are obliterating Muslim shrines and mosques. Reported by the Iranian 'Press TV' channel, informs TASS.
- Donetsk militia confirm leaving stronghold cities of Slavyansk and Kramatorsk RT 05 Jul 2014 -- The self-defense forces of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic (DPR) have left the cities of Slavyansk and Kramatorsk and are heading to the south of the region, according to the republic's headquarters.
- Ukrainian Forces Hoist Flag Over Slovyansk RFE/RL 05 Jul 2014 -- Ukrainian government forces have hoisted the national flag over the pro-Russian rebels' main stronghold of Slovyansk after flushing them out of the eastern industrial city in overnight fighting.
- Ukraine Troops Take Back Rebel Stronghold VOA 05 Jul 2014 -- Ukrainian troops have overtaken the rebel stronghold of Slovyansk in the country's east in a nighttime offensive, and President Petro Poroshenko ordered the armed forces to raise the Ukrainian flag over the city.
- Urging Somali unity, UN envoy deplores 'murderous campaign' being waged by Al-Shabaab UN News Centre 05 Jul 2014 -- Condemning this morning's attempted attack on Somalia's Parliament, the United Nations envoy to the country has called on all Somalis to unite with the authorities to thwart future attacks and "bring to justice those behind this murderous campaign" of terror that has intensified since the start of Ramadan.
- Ugandan army kills ex-rebels in Central Africa by mistake VoR 05 Jul 2014 -- Ugandan troops have killed at least 15 former rebels from the Central African Republic after mistaking them for fighters of the notorious Lord's Resistance Army, police said Friday. 'Fifteen ex-Seleka members were killed in a clash with the Ugandan army in the village of Kono in the Nzako region' of Central African Republic on Monday, a police official at Bangassou, the main town in the area, told AFP.
- US ambassador summoned to German Foreign Ministry over spy scandal VoR 05 Jul 2014 -- US ambassador to Germany John Emerson has been summoned to the German Foreign Ministry following the detention of a German foreign intelligence (BND) officer on suspicion of spying for the United States, the ministry says in a statement on its website.
- DPRK Channels Big Efforts into Preventing Flood Damage KCNA 05 Jul 2014 -- The DPRK is pushing ahead with the work to prevent flood damage.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|