CAR requests ICC probe into violence
Iran Press TV
Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:51PM GMT
The Central African Republic (CAR) has requested the International Criminal Court (ICC) to investigate crimes which have committed in the country over the past two years.
The announcement was made on Wednesday that on May 30 Bangui had lodged an official request with the ICC in order 'to investigate the situation that has been continuing in CAR since August 1, 2012.'
'The intervention of the International Criminal Court appears to us indispensible in seeking the prosecution and conviction of those who have carried out ... these crimes, which will not go unpunished," Minister of Justice Isabelle Gaudeuille said.
The minister went on to say that her country continues to be affected by the ongoing violence.
Last month, an ICC team visited the African nation.
The African country descended into further unrest last December, when Christian armed groups launched coordinated attacks against the mostly Muslim Seleka group that toppled the government in March 2013.
France has deployed some 2,000 troops to the CAR. However, many believe the French troops target Muslims and turn a blind eye to the acts of violence committed by the Christian militia, an accusation Paris rejects.
In March, UN Undersecretary General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator Valerie Amos said almost all of more than 100,000 Muslims once residing in Bangui had fled the violence perpetrated by Christian militiamen.
Amnesty International has said a campaign of "ethnic cleansing" is underway against the Muslim civilians in the CAR despite the presence of thousands of French and African Union troops in the country.
International bodies and organizations have also voiced concern over the situation of CAR refugees in neighboring African countries.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|