29 June 2014 Military News
- Afghanistan's Abdullah makes fresh fraud allegations Iran Press TV 29 Jun 2014 -- Afghan presidential candidate Abdullah Abdullah has made fresh allegations of fraud in the country's recent presidential runoff vote.
- Afghanistan declares victory in major Taliban battle VoR 29 Jun 2014 -- Afghan security forces on Saturday claimed victory against a Taliban offensive in the country's volatile Helmand province after days of fighting, seen as a test of the country's security forces as NATO-led troops pull out.
- USS Bataan joins other warships in Persian Gulf amid Iraq crisis Iran Press TV 29 Jun 2014 -- The US military has sent another warship to the Persian Gulf with 1,000 marines on board as tension is escalating in several Iraqi cities.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Dempsey in Hawaii to Meet Japanese, South Korean Counterparts AFPS 29 Jun 2014 -- The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff will hold trilateral talks with his Japanese and Korean counterparts during a short trip to Hawaii.
- Multinational Pacific Partnership Medical Team Helps Thousands in Cambodia NNS 29 Jun 2014 -- Medical and dental practitioners from seven countries provided clinical services to more than 4,000 Cambodians over six days as part of the Pacific Partnership 2014 engagement concluding June 27.
- North Korea Fires 2 Missiles in Defiance of UN VOA 29 Jun 2014 -- South Korean military officials say North Korea has test-fired two medium-range missiles off its east coast into the Sea of Japan, once again defying a United Nations ban on missile testing by the communist state.
- N Korea launches two missiles ahead of China's Xi Jinping visit to Seoul VoR 29 Jun 2014 -- North Korea Sunday fired two ballistic missiles into the sea, Seoul's military said, the latest in a series of launches staged in an apparent show of force ahead of a visit by Chinese President Xi Jinping to the South.
- With ISIL 'Caliphate' Declared, What's Next? VOA 29 Jun 2014 -- Iraqis aren't alone in wondering if the Sunni Muslim insurgency led by the al-Qaida offshoot the Islamic State of Iraq and Levant (ISIL) can be stemmed. Al-Qaida, once the world's leading terror organization, is being surpassed by its onetime, wayward affiliate and it is none too pleased, say analysts.
- Target ISIS: First batch of Russian fighter jets arrives in Iraq RT 29 Jun 2014 -- The first delivery of Russian Sukhoi fighter jets arrived in Iraq on Saturday, the country's Defense Ministry said. Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki is hoping the jets will make a key difference in the fight against ISIS.
- Iraqi Forces Battle for Tikrit VOA 29 Jun 2014 -- Iraq's army sent tanks and armored vehicles on Sunday to try to dislodge insurgents from the northern city of Tikrit, which Sunni militants had overtaken on June 11.
- Iran ready to support Iraq in armed revolt against Sunni militias VoR 29 Jun 2014 -- An Iranian general announced that Tehran is ready to support Iraq in an armed revolt employing the same methods used against opposition in Syria, suggesting that Iran has expressed a will to take on a more significant role in fighting Sunni militias that threaten Baghdad, reports Reuters.
- Dempsey: Iraqi National Unity Needed to Counter ISIL AFPS 29 Jun 2014 -- The formation of a national unity government in Iraq will be key to defeating the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff told National Public Radio Friday.
- Iraq: Serious food security concerns due to conflict IRNA 29 Jun 2014 -- Iraq is facing serious food security concerns following the recent escalation of conflict in a large swath of the country, FAO has warned.
- Kurdish forces attack Iraqi military bases in Kirkuk: Military commander Iran Press TV 29 Jun 2014 -- A senior Iraqi military commander says Kurdish Peshmerga forces have seized heavy weapons and military equipment in Kirkuk governorate.
- Iraq army troops flush out militants from Tikrit Iran Press TV 29 Jun 2014 -- Iraq's government soldiers backed by thousands of volunteers have gained the upper hand over Takfiri militants in the northern city of Tikrit, security sources say.
- Iraqi Forces Fight To Retake Tikrit RFE/RL 29 Jun 2014 -- Iraqi government forces have continued an offensive to retake a northern city from Sunni rebels.
- ISIL executes several rival militants in Syria Iran Press TV 29 Jun 2014 -- Terrorists from the so-called Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) have publicly executed and crucified eight rival militants in Syria.
- 'Ukraine army opens fire on civilian sites in east' Iran Press TV 29 Jun 2014 -- The Ukrainian army has opened fire on civilian sites in the eastern regions of the country despite a ceasefire announced by Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko, Self-defense forces say.
- EU Leaders Join Ukraine-Russia Talks RFE/RL 29 Jun 2014 -- European Union leaders have held talks with the presidents of Russia and Ukraine as a truce between Ukrainian government forces and separatists neared its end.
- After EU-Russia-Ukraine talks Poroshenko orders Border Service to consult with Russian counterparts VoR 29 Jun 2014 -- Ukrainian President Petr Poroshenko has instructed State Border Service head Mykola Litvyn, to hold urgent consultations with Russian Border Service officials to negotiate a mechanism of ensuring effective control over the Ukrainian-Russian border, reports Interfax.
- Israel Responds to Rocket Attacks, Strikes Palestinian Sites VOA 29 Jun 2014 -- Israeli aircraft carried out multiple strikes in the Gaza Strip on Sunday, hours after rockets fired from the Palestinian territory set a factory in Israel on fire, Israeli and Palestinian officials said.
- Libya militant leader pleads not guilty in Benghazi attack Iran Press TV 29 Jun 2014 -- A Libyan militant leader who has been charged with masterminding the 2012 attack on the US mission in Benghazi has pleaded not guilty before a US court.
- Legal Process Begins for Benghazi Terror Suspect VOA 29 Jun 2014 -- The accused ringleader of the deadly 2012 attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya pleaded not guilty to terrorism charges Saturday in a federal court in Washington.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|