09 June 2014 Military News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 09 Jun 2014 [PDF]
- RAF gunner foils Afghan bombers UK MOD 09 Jun 2014 -- A keen-eyed RAF gunner has been commended by US and UK commanders for his life-saving diligence in Afghanistan.
- Karachi airport attack leaves 28 people dead Iran Press TV 09 Jun 2014 -- At least 28 people have been killed after an airport in the Pakistani city of Karachi came under heavy militant attack.
- Dozens Killed As Militants Attack Pakistani Airport RFE/RL 09 Jun 2014 -- The Pakistani Taliban has claimed responsibility for an attack on the country's busiest airport that killed at least 28 people.
- Pakistan Taliban Claims Responsibility for Assault on Karachi Airport VOA 09 Jun 2014 -- The Pakistani Taliban is claiming responsibility for Sunday night's deadly assault on the country's largest international airport in Karachi that left at least 28 people dead, including 10 "terrorists" and more than a dozen security personnel.
- After Terrorist Attack Pakistan-Taliban Peace Process Hits Roadblock VOA 09 Jun 2014 -- The terrorist attack on Pakistan's busiest and biggest airport in Karachi has stunned many in Pakistan and underscored the security threat facing the country from al-Qaida-linked groups hiding in the volatile northwestern tribal areas along the Afghan border.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Pacific Partnership 2014 Wraps Up Mission in Kupang and Rote Ndao NNS 09 Jun 2014 -- Guests and service members from Indonesia, New Zealand, Singapore and the United States attended a ceremony which concluded the mission of Pacific Partnership (PP14) 2014 in Kupang and Rote Ndao at the Tuadale School in West Kupang, Indonesia, June 9.
- CNO Wraps Up Visit With French Chief of Staff NNS 09 Jun 2014 -- Chief of Naval Operations, Adm. Jonathan Greenert, completed a five day visit in France this weekend with the Chief of Staff of the French Navy Adm. Bernard Rogel.
- Hurricane Hunters fly first storm reconnaissance mission of season AFNS 09 Jun 2014 -- The Hurricane Hunters of the 53rd Weather Reconnaissance Squadron flew to the southwest quadrant of the Gulf of Mexico June 6 to gather weather data in their first storm reconnaissance mission of the 2014 Atlantic basin hurricane season.
- US Steps Up Military Presence in Europe with Stealth Bombers – Report RIA Novosti 09 Jun 2014 -- The United States has stepped up its military presence in Europe, sending two B-2 stealth bombers to the region, the Army Times reported Monday.
- Georgian, US servicemen start joint military exercises in Georgia VoR 09 Jun 2014 -- Annual Georgian-US military drills, Agile Spirit-2014, have started in Georgia, the country's Defense Ministry said on Monday. The planned training exercises being held on the Defense Ministry's Vaziani firing range outside Georgia's capital involve 350 US marines from the Black Sea rotational force stationed in the Romanian city of Constance and 550 Georgian troops.
- RPA community launches 65th combat air patrol AFNS 09 Jun 2014 -- The Remotely Piloted Aircraft enterprise reached new heights as the community pulled together to launch the 65th combat air patrol, or CAP, here on May 28.
- VA Releases Data on Quality, Access to Health Care AFPS 09 Jun 2014 -- The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs today released the results from its nationwide access audit, along with facility-level patient access data, medical center quality and efficiency data, and mental health provider survey data for all veteran health facilities.
- DOD Announces Recruiting and Retention Numbers for Fiscal 2014, through April 2014 DoD 09 Jun 2014 -- The Department of Defense announced today recruiting and retention statistics for the active and reserve components for fiscal 2014, through April 2014.
- USS Coronado Completes Final Contract Trials NNS 09 Jun 2014 -- USS Coronado (LCS 4) successfully completed final contract trials (FCT) June 6.
- North Carolina Visits Yokosuka During Western Pacific Deployment NNS 09 Jun 2014 -- The Virginia-class, fast-attack submarine USS North Carolina (SSN 777) arrived in Yokosuka June 8 for a routine visit as part of its second deployment to the Western Pacific.
- Armed forces training gets £250 million boost UK MOD 09 Jun 2014 -- A new, state-of-the-art defence training college is to be built in Hampshire.
- Russia considers NATO buildup near its borders as demonstration of hostility - deputy FM VoR 09 Jun 2014 -- Russia views the NATO buildup near its borders as a demonstration of hostile intentions and the deployment of additional forces in Central and Eastern Europe as a violation of the Founding Act and promises to retaliate against that move.
- India-Russia Missile Successfully Test Fired from Indian Warship RIA Novosti 09 Jun 2014 -- India's armed forces successfully test launched a BrahMos supersonic anti-ship cruise missile, developed jointly with Russia, from the country's newest warship INS Kolkata, the PTI news agency reported Monday quoting Indian defense officials.
- Chinese Ships Head to US-led Pacific Rim Exercises VOA 09 Jun 2014 -- China for the first time is sending multiple ships to a U.S.-led international maritime drill known as RIMPAC, or Rim of Pacific exercise . China's official media describes the trip as a venture "deep into the tiger's den." Absent from this year's participant list is Russia.
- Sri Lanka, China to strengthen cooperation on Maritime Silk Road: think tank chief People's Daily 09 Jun 2014 -- Sri Lanka and China can strengthen cooperation on trade, combating terrorism and confidence building in terms of the Maritime Silk Road initiative, Asanga Abeyagoonasekera, executive director of Sri Lanka state- owned think tank Lakshman Kadirgamar Institute for International Relations said here on Monday.
- French-Russian Mistral Ship Deal Continuing as Planned – Kremlin RIA Novosti 09 Jun 2014 -- The Kremlin believes that the Mistral warships deal with France is continuing as planned and scheduled, Kremlin Spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Monday.
- June 9, 2014 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 09 Jun 2014
- Press Briefing by Principal Deputy Press Secretary Josh Earnest, 6/9/2014 The White House 09 Jun 2014
- 9 June 2014 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 09 Jun 2014
- Syrian president announces general amnesty Iran Press TV 09 Jun 2014 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has issued a decree granting a 'general amnesty' for crimes committed during the Syria crisis which erupted in 2011.
- Syrian President Assad Declares General Amnesty RIA Novosti 09 Jun 2014 -- Syrian President Bashar Assad declared a general amnesty shortly after being reelected for another presidential term, AFP reported Monday citing state TV.
- Vietnam Wants Larger US Role in Dispute With China VOA 09 Jun 2014 -- Vietnam wants the United States to play a bigger role in settling territorial disputes with China. Washington is refusing, though, to take a stand on the location of a Chinese oil rig that Vietnam says is in its territorial waters.
- China unveils documents to clarify Xisha situation People's Daily 09 Jun 2014 -- The Chinese Foreign Ministry has released documents making clear Vietnam's provocation and China's stance regarding the Xisha Islands in the South China Sea, a ministry spokeswoman said on Monday.
- Spokeswoman: Philippine-Vietnamese acts on South China Sea atoll 'clumsy farce' People's Daily 09 Jun 2014 -- Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Hua Chunying said here Monday the 'joint activities' by the Philippines and Vietnam on one of China's Nansha Islands were a clumsy farce.
- New UN site in Malakal offers protection to South Sudanese civilians fleeing conflict UN News Centre 09 Jun 2014 -- The United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) today inaugurated a new site adjacent to its base in Malakal to offer protection for civilians uprooted by conflict and to relieve the congestion inside the world body's compound, which is hosting an estimated 19,000 people.
- South Sudan Lawmakers Tell Why They Defected to Rebels VOA 09 Jun 2014 -- More than a dozen members of South Sudan's ruling Sudan People's Liberation Movement (SPLM) have quit the party and sided with rebels led by Riek Machar, saying they can no longer work with a government that kills its own people, foments tribalism, and commits other ills.
- Nigeria: UN envoy urges national actors to 'close ranks' to ensure release of schoolgirls UN News Centre 09 Jun 2014 -- A United Nations envoy today renewed the world body's commitment to supporting ongoing efforts by the Nigerian Government to secure the safe release of the abducted schoolgirls from Chibok, and called for concerted efforts to tackle the insurgency in the north-east of the country.
- Report: Nigeria Has Largest Displaced Population in Africa VOA 09 Jun 2014 -- A new report shows that Nigeria now has the largest internally displaced population in Africa, and the third largest in the world. In recent years, hundreds of thousands of people fled Boko Haram insurgents in the northeast but some families are returning to their homes, saying there is nowhere safe for them to hide.
- Recent political, security tensions threaten Libya's transition, warns UN envoy UN News Centre 09 Jun 2014 -- The recent turmoil in Libya has not only slowed the pace of important aspects of the democratic transition but threatens to thrust the North African nation back into conflict and instability, the United Nations envoy to the country told the Security Council today.
- Rasmussen Says NATO Does Not Recognize South Ossetia Election Results RIA Novosti 09 Jun 2014 -- NATO does not recognize the results of the Sunday parliament elections in South Ossetia, the organization's Secretary General, Anders Fogh Rasmussen, said in a statement Monday.
- UN envoy appeals for end to clan-based fighting in Somalia's Lower Shabelle region UN News Centre 09 Jun 2014 -- The top United Nations envoy to Somalia today appealed to an end to clan-based hostilities in the Lower Shabelle region which have resulted in a number of casualties in recent days.
- UK increases military support in Bosnia UK MOD 09 Jun 2014 -- Ninety additional UK army personnel are being sent to Bosnia and Herzegovina to support the EU mission.
- UN political chief attends Ukrainian president's inauguration, reiterates support for new government UN News Centre 09 Jun 2014 -- The top United Nations political official today concluded a visit to Ukraine where he reiterated Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon's commitment to supporting the country, and held meetings with senior Government and civil society representatives.
- Ukraine, Russian Envoys Reach 'Mutual Understanding' on Parts of Peace Plan VOA 09 Jun 2014 -- Ukraine's foreign ministry says it has reached a 'mutual understanding' with Russia on key stages of a peace plan for eastern Ukraine.
- Ukraine, Russia Resume Gas Talks Amid Conflict VOA 09 Jun 2014 -- A Russian official says Ukraine and Russia are meeting Monday to resolve a natural gas dispute after Moscow threatened to cut-off supplies if Ukraine does not pay outstanding debts. The dispute adds to tension between the two countries, as Ukraine combats a pro-Russian insurgency in the east.
- Moscow hopes Poroshenko will deliver on his pledge to end fighting VoR 09 Jun 2014 -- Russia hopes that Ukrainian President Petr Poroshenko will put an end to the military operation in southeastern Ukraine, said Konstantin Dolgov, the Russian Foreign Ministry's commissioner for human rights, democracy and rule of law. 'We do hope that these pledges will be finally converted into concrete steps,' Dolgov told Rossiya 24 television.
- All forces to join Ukraine military operation: Avakov Iran Press TV 09 Jun 2014 -- Ukraine's acting Interior Minister Arsen Avakov has announced plans to deploy all the department's forces in combat and patrol units to eastern Ukraine for participation in the ongoing military operations against pro-Russia protesters.
- On The Road With Volunteers Supplying Ukrainian Troops RFE/RL 09 Jun 2014
- Over 7,000 Ukrainians Flee to Russia's Rostov Region in Past Day RIA Novosti 09 Jun 2014 -- More than 7,300 Ukrainian citizens have fled to neighboring Russia's Rostov Region, since Sunday, the region's government said on its website Monday.
- Shelling Ukraine's Slaviansk Causes Serious Destruction, Leads to Casualties RIA Novosti 09 Jun 2014 -- The eastern Ukrainian city of Slaviansk in the Donetsk region, which has become the epicenter of intense fighting between the Ukrainian army and local independence supporters, suffered significant damage during shelling Sunday.
- Independence Supporters Say Destroyed Rocket System Near Ukraine's Slaviansk RIA Novosti 09 Jun 2014 -- A Grad multiple-launch rocket system was destroyed near the eastern Ukrainian city of Slaviansk, local independence supporters told RIA Novosti Monday.
- Hillary Clinton Urges Tougher Line On Putin RFE/RL 09 Jun 2014 -- Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has called for a 'new course' on U.S.-Russian relations with a tougher line against President Vladimir Putin.
- Final nuclear deal needs serious efforts by Sextet: Araqchi Iran Press TV 09 Jun 2014 -- A top Iranian nuclear negotiator has called on the Sextet of world powers to devote serious efforts to narrowing differences with Tehran in the course of the ongoing nuclear talks.
- Nuclear arms totally against humanity: Ayatollah Khamenei Iran Press TV 09 Jun 2014 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei says nuclear weapons are totally against humanity.
- US, Iran, EU Meet in Geneva for Nuclear Talks VOA 09 Jun 2014 -- U.S. and Iranian diplomats meet in Geneva Monday and Tuesday for direct talks on Iran's controversial nuclear program ahead of a looming July 20 deadline to reach a final agreement. As full international negotiations are set to resume next week, the U.N. atomic energy agency has indicated Tehran is showing some signs of cooperation in the investigation into the military aspects of Iran's program.
- Russia to Allocate $26 Billion to Atomic Energy Complex Development RIA Novosti 09 Jun 2014 -- The Russian government has approved a state program on the development of an atomic energy complex by 2020, with total funding of about 900 billion rubles or $26 billion, a decree on Russia's official legal information website indicates.
- S.Korea's top nuclear envoy to visit China this week People's Daily 09 Jun 2014 -- South Korea's top nuclear envoy will visit China for two days from Tuesday to meet his Chinese counterpart for talks on the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK)'s nuclear weapons program, Seoul's foreign ministry said Monday.
- Serbia Says It Will Be Forced To Suspend South Stream Construction RFE/RL 09 Jun 2014 -- Serbia says it may have to suspend construction of the South Stream gas pipeline through its territory, after Bulgaria said it was halting work on its segment of the pipeline.
- Serbia Suspends Works on South Stream Project Over Bulgaria's Stance RIA Novosti 09 Jun 2014 -- Serbia is putting its participation in the South Stream pipeline project on hold due to Bulgaria's decision to suspend its involvement, Serbia's Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Construction Zorana Mihajlović said Monday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|