27 killed in nine days of Lebanon's Tripoli clashes
Iran Press TV
Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:51PM GMT
The death toll from the latest clashes in the Lebanese city of Tripoli has risen to 27 following nine days of fighting between supporters and opponents of the Syrian government.
Local media said on Saturday that some 175 people have been also injured since clashes between armed men from the neighborhoods of Bab al-Tabbaneh and Jabal Mohsen began on March 13.
The Bab al-Tabbaneh residents support foreign-backed militants operating against the Syrian government, while the inhabitants of neighboring Jabal Mohsen are loyal to Syria's President Bashar al-Assad.
Reports said civilians were among the casualties, adding that some 33 army soldiers were also injured.
Many people have been killed in the Lebanese city since the outbreak of turmoil in Syria in March 2011. The Lebanese army has on many occasions intervened to calm the situation in Tripoli.
Last month, two people were killed and nearly a dozen others injured in clashes that followed the assassination of Abdel-Rahman Diab – a senior official in Lebanon's Arab Democratic Party, which supports President Assad.
Ten people were also killed in January, including a Lebanese army soldier, during five days of clashes between the two sides in the city.
Lebanon has been also suffering from terrorist attacks carried out by al-Qaeda-linked militant groups, as well as random rocket attacks, which are viewed as a spillover of violence from neighboring Syria.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|