40 killed, dozens injured in attack in DRC
Iran Press TV
Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:8AM GMT
At least 40 civilians have been killed and dozens injured in an attack on a village in the Beni region in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).
'Up to this morning we have found more than 40 bodies, all of them civilians, in the latrines,' AFP quoted Teddy Kataliko, the head of civil society in the Beni region, as saying on Thursday.
'Teams from the Red Cross and the police are searching to see if they find other victims,' Kataliko added.
The attack has been blamed on Ugandan rebels.
On Wednesday, the UN mission to the DRC (MONUSCO) helped government forces retake the border town of Kamango in Beni.
Kataliko said on the same day that militants of the Ugandan rebel group of Allied Democratic Forces-National Army (ADF-Nalu) were 'now heading towards" the border town of Nobili where more than 150,000 people have taken refuge from the fighting.
'We believe there is the risk of a massacre and that's why we are asking to establish a humanitarian corridor,' he said.
The mineral-rich region bordering Uganda has been plagued by a number of armed groups in recent months.
In July, thousands of people fled the region after the ADF-Nalu rebels attacked Kamango and took control of it.
Last week, MONUSCO reported that at least 21 people were killed in Beni.
MONUSCO, which includes around 3,000 troops from Tanzania, South Africa and Malawi, has been specially authorized to go after armed groups ravaging DR Congo.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|