06 December 2013 Military News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 06 Dec 2013 [PDF]
- Afghanistan won't bow to US pressure over security pact: Official Iran Press TV 06 Dec 2013 -- A top aide to Afghanistan President Hamid Karzai has accused the US of trying to force Kabul into signing a security deal with Washington, noting that his country will never bow to US pressure.
- Report: US propaganda fails in Afghanistan Iran Press TV 06 Dec 2013 -- US propaganda efforts in Afghanistan have failed because of poorly designed programs by contractors who often propose expensive marketing solutions to US commanders incapable of making informed choices, according to a study published by the Army's War College.
- Philippines: UN agencies say needs are immense one month after Typhoon Haiyan UN News Centre 06 Dec 2013 -- One month after Typhoon Haiyan churned through the Philippines, the breadth of the damage is still unfolding and the needs for the millions of people affected by the storm are immense, United Nations humanitarian agencies warned today, urging the world to continue to support the massive relief effort under way in the archipelago.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Biden: U.S.-South Korea Alliance Key to Regional Security AFPS 06 Dec 2013 -- The security alliance between the U.S. and South Korea is key to the Asia-Pacific region's peace and stability, Vice President Joe Biden said in Seoul, South Korea.
- Remarks by Vice President Joe Biden and Republic of Korea President Park Geun-Hye in a Bilateral Meeting The White House 06 Dec 2013
- Remarks by Vice President Joe Biden and Republic of Korea Prime Minister Chung Hungwon in a Bilateral Meeting The White House 06 Dec 2013
- Remarks by Vice President Joe Biden on U.S.-Korea Relations and the Asia-Pacific The White House 06 Dec 2013
- Hagel Addresses Iran, Pay, Women in Combat AFPS 06 Dec 2013 -- Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel ended his talk with troops here today as he usually does, offering to answer questions or listen to any advice they can offer.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel's Meeting with Saudi Deputy Minister of Defense Sultan DOD 06 Dec 2013
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel's Meeting with King Hamad al Khalifa of Bahrain DOD 06 Dec 2013
- New Zealand Army learns from Corps USMC News 06 Dec 2013 -- Marine Corps recruit training is regarded by some as the toughest entry level training in the world. Recruit training is often visited by other nations to learn from one the world's premier fighting forces.
- Marines complete arrested landings on Tinian USMC News 06 Dec 2013 -- Marine Wing Support Squadron-171 conducted an arrestment landing exercise using two M-31 Marine Corps expeditionary arresting gear systems Dec. 5 at Tinian's West Field during Exercise Forager Fury II.
- SOP Course Seeks to Assist ECCAS Nations NNS 06 Dec 2013 -- A course focused on writing Maritime Operations Center (MOC) standard operating procedures (SOP) began Dec. 6 with several Economic Community of Central African States (ECCAS) coast nations.
- NMCB 3 Timor-Leste CCAD, F-FDTL Engineers Team Up, Prevent Building Collapse NNS 06 Dec 2013 -- Seabees assigned to Naval Mobile Construction Battalion (NMCB) 3's Construction Civic Action Detail (CCAD) in Timor-Leste teamed up with engineers from the Timor-Leste Defense Force (F-FDTL), Nov. 21 - Dec. 5, to prevent the Cameia Rai Hun Primary School's outside restroom facility from tumbling down a 10-foot drop.
- Carl Vinson Conducts Carrier Qualifications NNS 06 Dec 2013 -- Aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson (CVN 70) departed Naval Air Station North Island, Dec. 3, to provide carrier take-off and landing training for fleet replacement aviators and facilitate squadron carrier qualifications.
- USS New York Changes Homeport to Naval Station Mayport NNS 06 Dec 2013 -- The Mayport community welcomed over 350 new neighbors to Northeast Florida when the USS New York (LPD 21) changed homeport from Naval Station Norfolk to Naval Station Mayport Dec. 6.
- Launch Propels Southcom-sponsored Nanosatellite into Space AFPS 06 Dec 2013 -- An Atlas V rocket launched last night from Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif., carried a U.S. Southern Command-sponsored nanosatellite into space -- and with it, the potential for more reliable and less expensive communications for troops around the world.
- Biden Rejects China's Air Defense Zone, Reaffirms Asia Pivot VOA 06 Dec 2013 -- U.S. Vice President Joe Biden has rejected China's self-declared Air Defense Identification Zone in the East China Sea, saying it raises tensions in the region and the possibility of miscalculation. Biden made the comments while in South Korea where he reaffirmed a U.S. plan to re-focus on the Asia Pacific and urged North Korea to give up its nuclear weapons.
- Biden: US does not recognize China's air defense zone Iran Press TV 06 Dec 2013 -- US Vice President Joe Biden has said on behalf of President Barack Obama that Washington will not recognize China's newly declared air defense zone in the East China Sea.
- Chinese aircraft carrier has major weaknesses: Beijing newspaper CNA 06 Dec 2013 -- By sending its first aircraft carrier to the South China Sea, Beijing aims at more effective control over disputed islands in the region, but the vessel has five major weaknesses that make it unable to match up against U.S. carriers, according to a Friday report in a Chinese state-run newspaper.
- President Ma to urge China not to designate ADIZ in South China Sea CNA 06 Dec 2013 -- President Ma Ying-jeou said Thursday that he will ask China not to establish an air defense identification zone (ADIZ) over the South China Sea, and described Beijing's recent demarcation of an East China Sea ADIZ as unhelpful to the positive development of relations between Taiwan and China.
- Good for defense and economy People's Daily 06 Dec 2013 -- The Decision on Major Issues Concerning Comprehensively Deepening Reforms, issued by the Third Plenum of the 18th Communist Party of China Central Committee, lays special emphasis on 'boosting coordinated development of military and civilian industries'.
- China's main battle military aircraft can intercept multiple targets in the air defense identification zone People's Daily 06 Dec 2013 -- Colonel Shen Jinke, news spokesperson of the Chinese air force, said on the 28th November that the Chinese air force had dispatched S-30 and J-11 and other main battle aircraft for a standard air patrol in China's East China Air Defense Identification Zone, so as to reinforce the monitoring of aerial targets and carry out a range of missions and tasks.
- Expert: "Sharp Sword" UAV has ability to attack enemy's high-value targets in wartime People's Daily 06 Dec 2013 -- A video showing a taxiing run of one of China's home-made 'Sharp Sword' prototype attack unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) has recently been made available online, quickly attracting the attention of large numbers of netizens.
- Taiwan developing weapons-capable UAV CNA 06 Dec 2013 -- Taiwan's military is developing weapons-capable unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) with some stealth capabilities at the Chung-Shan Institute of Science and Technology, an official at the institute told CNA Friday.
- Royal Navy flagship sails into Gibraltar UK MOD 06 Dec 2013 -- Royal Navy flagship HMS Bulwark sailed into Gibraltar today, 6 December, on her way back to the UK.
- Russian Former Defense Minister Charged With Negligence RIA Novosti 06 Dec 2013 -- A former Russian defense minister was formally charged on Friday with negligence that allegedly caused 56 million rubles ($1.7 million) worth of damage to the state.
- Navy's 28th flotilla berths at Mumbai port IRNA 06 Dec 2013 -- Iranian Navy's 28th Flotilla berthed at Mumbai port on Thursday, a senior Navy commander announced.
- Iranian warships on three-day goodwill visit to Mumbai IRNA 06 Dec 2013 -- Iranian warships have come calling to Mumbai on a goodwill visit as part of the bilateral defence ties with India.
- Indian navy keen to expand cooperation with Iran IRNA 06 Dec 2013 -- Commander of India's West Navy underlined the need for the further expansion of cooperation with Iranian Navy in the Persian Gulf and Indian Ocean.
- December 6, 2013 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 06 Dec 2013
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Jay Carney, 12/6/2013 The White House 06 Dec 2013
- 06 December 2013 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 06 Dec 2013
- International community must act with resolve to tackle Africa's challenges – Ban UN News Centre 06 Dec 2013 -- Addressing the challenges facing Africa requires the international community to act with resolve, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon stressed today, adding that the recent upsurge of violence in the Central African Republic (CAR) is yet another reminder of the need for urgency in taking action.
- 'FSA' says won't attend Geneva talks Iran Press TV 06 Dec 2013 -- The military wing of Syria's foreign-sponsored opposition says it will not take part in the upcoming Geneva conference on the crisis in Syria, Press TV reports.
- UN agencies alarmed at worsening humanitarian situation in Central African Republic UN News Centre 06 Dec 2013 -- Several United Nations agencies today voiced alarm at the deteriorating humanitarian situation in the Central African Republic (CAR), where violent clashes in recent days have reportedly led to the death of around 100 people and forcing many others to flee their homes.
- Aid agencies struggle to reach all of CAR's needy IRIN 06 Dec 2013 -- Chaos following a coup in the Central African Republic (CAR) has left half the population of 4.6 million in need of assstance, some 415,000 people displaced and countless living in fear of increasingly brutal and sectarian violence.
- France starts patrol operation in CAR Iran Press TV 06 Dec 2013 -- France has started military operations in the Central African Republic (CAR) with French soldiers patrolling in the country's capital, Bangui.
- UK in talks with France over support for CAR ops. Iran Press TV 06 Dec 2013 -- London says it is in talks with Paris over offering "limited logistical support" to France for its military operations in the Central African Republic (CAR).
- UK support to international response in Central African Republic UK MOD 06 Dec 2013 -- Foreign Secretary announces UK air transport assistance to France for Central African Republic.
- Japan Scrambles Fighter Jets to Track Russian Bombers RIA Novosti 06 Dec 2013 -- Japan placed its air force on alert on Friday after two Russian Tupolev Tu-95 Bear strategic bombers flew near its airspace, the Japanese military said.
- Kerry: Mideast Peace Deal Closest in Years VOA 06 Dec 2013 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry says he believes Israel and the Palestinians are closer to a peace agreement than they have been in years at the end of a three-day trip to the region.
- UN honours Nelson Mandela as champion of peace, reconciliation UN News Centre 06 Dec 2013 -- The United Nations family today mourned the loss – and celebrated the life and enduring legacy – of Nelson Mandela, the former South African leader and peace advocate who passed away yesterday at the age of 95.
- NSA tracks cellphone locations under executive order Iran Press TV 06 Dec 2013 -- The US National Security Agency collects cellphone location data from around the world under a 1981 executive order signed by former president Ronald Reagan.
- Clapper must be prosecuted for lying to Congress, lawmaker says Iran Press TV 06 Dec 2013 -- US Representative James Sensenbrenner Jr. says the Director of National Intelligence, James Clapper, should be prosecuted for lying to Congress about the nature of massive US spying programs.
- Iran, India stress expansion of naval cooperation Iran Press TV 06 Dec 2013 -- The Islamic Republic of Iran and India are eager to see closer cooperation between the two countries' navies.
- Medvedev Denies Russia Pressured Ukraine to Abandon EU Deal RIA Novosti 06 Dec 2013 -- Ukraine decided independently to abandon a long-anticipated trade deal with the European Union, Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev said Friday, denying that Moscow pressured its neighbor into changing direction.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|