27 July 2013 Military News
- US-led airstrikes leave 60 people dead across Afghanistan Iran Press TV 27 Jul 2013 -- At least 60 people have been killed as a result of separate US-led airstrikes in Afghanistan's provinces of Paktia, Kunar and Helmand, Press TV reports.
Defense Policy / Programs
- US intends to repatriate 2 Guantanamo prisoners: White House Iran Press TV 27 Jul 2013 -- The administration of US President Barack Obama has announced it plans to transfer two long-held detainees at the notorious Guantanamo detention facility back home to Algeria.
- U.S., Australian Airmen exercise to improve combined force integration for future operations AFNS 27 Jul 2013 -- Airmen from Andersen Air Force Base, Guam, worked hand in hand with the Royal Australian Air Force airmen on an air base opening and sustainment mission during Talisman Saber 2013.
- Readout of Secretary Hagel's Call with Egyptian Defense Minister al-Sisi DoD 27 Jul 2013
- Israel army holds parachuting exercise Iran Press TV 27 Jul 2013 -- Israeli regime's army has held a nighttime parachuting exercise in Negev desert in the southern part of the occupied land.
- Syrian forces capture mosque in al-Khaldiyeh neighborhood Iran Press TV 27 Jul 2013 -- Syrian troops have managed to capture a mosque in al-Khaldiyeh neighborhood in the western city of Homs as clashes between government forces and foreign-backed militants continue in the restive city.
- Syria Rebel Leaders Hold Talks at UN, Urge Russia to End Assad Support RIA Novosti 27 Jul 2013 -- Syrian opposition leaders appealed to Russia to stop its support for Syrian President Bashar Assad's regime as the country's rebel leaders met with the UN Security Council for the first time to discuss the situation in the country plagued by a two-year war.
- Talks on chemical weapons probe 'productive' – UN and Syria jointly say UN News Centre 27 Jul 2013 -- The United Nations disarmament chief and the head of the team probing the alleged use of chemical weapons in Syria have had "thorough and productive" discussions with the Government that led to an agreement on moving forward.
- Korean War Vets Brought Freedom, Victory to 50 Million AFPS 27 Jul 2013 -- While the Korean War ended just about where it started, "that war was no tie," President Barack Obama said today. "Korea was a victory."
- Hagel, Winnefeld Honor Korean War Vets, Those Still Serving in the Republic AFPS 27 Jul 2013 -- Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel and Navy Adm. James Winnefeld remembered the Korean War as the first time the world united under the banner of the United Nations to stand up to aggression and support the rule of law.
- Korean Peninsula, Obama Mark Armistice Anniversary VOA 27 Jul 2013 -- Koreans across the peninsula have observed the 60th anniversary of the 1953 armistice that ended fighting in the Korean War.
- Fireworks Gala Marks Anniversary of Victory in Fatherland Liberation War KCNA 27 Jul 2013 -- Fireworks gala 'We will always emerge victorious!' took place here on Saturday, the 60th anniversary of the victory in the Fatherland Liberation War.
- Grand Banquet Given to Mark Anniversary of War Victory in Presence of Kim Jong Un KCNA 27 Jul 2013 -- The Central Military Commission of the Workers' Party of Korea and the National Defence Commission of the DPRK gave a grand banquet at the Mokran House Saturday, the 60th anniversary of the victory in the great Fatherland Liberation War.
- Victorious Fatherland Liberation War Museum Opens in Presence of Kim Jong Un KCNA 27 Jul 2013 -- An opening ceremony of the Victorious Fatherland Liberation War Museum took place with splendor on Saturday.
- Kim Jong Un Visits Kumsusan Palace of Sun KCNA 27 Jul 2013 -- Kim Jong Un, first secretary of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK), first chairman of the National Defence Commission of the DPRK and supreme commander of the Korean People's Army, visited the Kumsusan Palace of the Sun to pay tribute to Generalissimos Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il on Saturday, 60th anniversary of the victory in the great Fatherland Liberation War.
- War Victory Day Observed in DPRK KCNA 27 Jul 2013 -- The DPRK has celebrated the 60th anniversary of the victory in the Fatherland Liberation War with splendor.
- DR Congo: peacekeeping mission denounces M23's alleged abuses against civilians UN News Centre 27 Jul 2013 -- The United Nations peacekeeping mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo today said it is highly alarmed over allegations of killings, forced recruitment and illegal detention of civilians by the March 23 Movement (M23) and urged humanitarian access to areas controlled by the rebel group.
- Somalia: UN envoy 'strongly condemns' suicide attack targeting Turkish staff building UN News Centre 27 Jul 2013 -- The top United Nations envoy in Somalia strongly condemned a suicide attack against an office housing Turkish staff earlier today in Mogadishu which reportedly ended in deaths and injuries.
- Resumption of Israeli-Palestinian Direct Final Status Negotiations US Dept. of State 27 Jul 2013
- Situation in Egypt US Dept. of State 27 Jul 2013
- Dozens Killed At Pro-Morsi Protest In Cairo RFE/RL 27 Jul 2013 -- Dozens of people have been killed in violence that followed massive rival rallies by supporters and opponents of Egypt's deposed Islamist President Muhammad Morsi.
- Scores of Demonstrators Killed in Egypt VOA 27 Jul 2013 -- Egypt's health ministry says at least 65 people were killed in Cairo on Saturday after clashes erupted between security forces and supporters of ousted President Mohamed Morsi.
- Protests Erupt at Funeral for Tunisian Opposition Politician VOA 27 Jul 2013 -- Tunisian police fired tear gas at crowds gathered outside the national parliament building Saturday in continuing protests about the killing of a leading opposition politician.
- At Least 53 Killed In Twin Pakistan Bombings RFE/RL 27 Jul 2013 -- Officials in northwest Pakistan have told RFE/RL's Radio Mashaal that the death toll from twin bombings has risen to at least 53, with more than 180 people injured.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|