19 May 2013 Military News
- Afghan MPs want foreign spies out of presidential palace Iran Press TV 19 May 2013 -- Afghan lawmakers say President Hamid Karzai should not allow the country's enemies to have any place in the presidential palace.
- Small unit with a big mission Army News 19 May 2013 -- The 2nd Battalion, 15th Field Artillery Regiment, 'Allons' deployed to Paktika Province, Afghanistan in early January. The 'Allons' Battalion is the organic artillery battalion under the 2nd Brigade Combat Team 'Commandos' (2/10 SFAB), 10th Mountain Division from Fort Drum, N.Y.
- Medical Matters Army News 19 May 2013 -- The 2/10 Security Forces Assistance Brigade deployed several U.S. Army medical personnel as part of the Security Force Advisory Teams in support of Operation Enduring Freedom 13.
Defense Policy / Programs
- France to buy drones from US, Israel: French defense min. Iran Press TV 19 May 2013 -- French Defense Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian says his country is in talks with the Unites States and Israel to purchase surveillance drones in a bid to enhance its military capabilities.
- North Korea Launches Short-Range Missile Again – Report RIA Novosti 19 May 2013 -- North Korea launched on Sunday another short-range missile, a day after firing three short-range missiles into the Sea of Japan, Yonhap news agency reported, referring to South Korea' Defense Ministry.
- Ban concerned about provocations after latest DPR Korea missile test UN News Centre 19 May 2013 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has voiced his concern about provocations and tensions on the Korean Peninsula following reports that the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) launched short-range guided missiles into the sea on Saturday.
- North Korea Test-Fires 4th Short-Range Missile VOA 19 May 2013 -- North Korea fired its fourth short-range missile in the past two days into waters off its east coast on Sunday, despite calls for restraint from South Korea and other countries in the region, as well as the United Nations.
- Iran to launch manufacturing line of advanced anti-aircraft system IRNA 19 May 2013 -- Minister of Defense and Logistics of Armed Forces Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi will manufacturing line of advanced anti-aircraft system on Monday, IRNA reported on Sunday.
- Russian Military Inspectors to Make 2 Flights Over US RIA Novosti 19 May 2013 -- A group of Russian military observers will carry out two inspection missions over the United States under the Open Skies Treaty between May 19 and June 3, the Russian Defense Ministry said.
- Russia to Leave T-90S Tank in Peru for Trials RIA Novosti 19 May 2013 -- Russia has decided to leave a prototype T-90S battle tank in Lima, Peru, for trials by the Peruvian military, following its participation there in the SITDEF Peru 2013 arms exhibition last week, Russian state arms corporation Rosoboronexport said on Sunday.
- Russia Ready to Develop Long-Range Air Defense System with Turkey RIA Novosti 19 May 2013 -- Russia is ready to develop jointly with Turkey a long-range air defense complex based on S-300 surface-to-air missile systems, state arms seller Rosoboronexport head Sergei Ladygin said on Sunday.
- Syria army advances on Qusayr in Homs Iran Press TV 19 May 2013 -- The Syrian army continues its operations in the central province of Homs to clear the town of al-Qusayr of the foreign-backed militant groups, Press TV reports.
- Number of Syrian refugees could reach 3 million by end of 2013: UN Iran Press TV 19 May 2013 -- The United Nations has warned that the number of Syrian refugees could double and reach three million people by the end of this year if the unrest does not end.
- Lavrov Discussed Iranian Role in Syria Peace Talks RIA Novosti 19 May 2013 -- Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov revealed on Sunday that he had discussed Iran's possible involvement in a conference to resolve the war in Syria, when he met his US counterpart John Kerry early in May.
- Syrian Army Opens Offensive Against Rebels - Lebanese TV RIA Novosti 19 May 2013 -- The Syrian army opened up a huge offensive on Sunday against rebel forces on four fronts, Lebanese TV channel Al Mayadin reported.
- Taiwan to regularly review sanctions against Philippines CNA 19 May 2013 -- Taiwan will regularly review the results of a series of punitive measures against the Philippines after Manila failed to meet Taipei's demands over the handling of the fatal shooting of a Taiwanese fisherman, Foreign Minister David Lin said Sunday.
- Taiwan, Philippines to cooperate in shooting investigation CNA 19 May 2013 -- Taiwan and the Philippines have agreed to cooperate on an investigation into the death of a Taiwanese fisherman at the hands of Philippine coast guard personnel, and the two sides are working out the details of the arrangement, Foreign Minister David Lin said Sunday.
- Nigeria military intensifies campaign against militants Iran Press TV 19 May 2013 -- The military in Nigeria has intensified its campaign against the militants in the country's northeast to retake the seized territories.
- Nigeria Government Encouraged with Military Offensive Progress VOA 19 May 2013 -- An advisor to Nigeria's President Goodluck Jonathan says the government is encouraged by the progress of the ongoing military offensive against the Islamic militant sect, Boko Haram.
- Nigeria says 14 Militants, 3 Soldiers Killed in Latest Fighting VOA 19 May 2013 -- The Nigerian military says it has killed 14 Boko Haram militants and arrested 20 others. The military says three soldiers died in the fighting Sunday and another is missing.
- Netanyahu Says Israel Acts To Deny Hizballah Syrian Arms RFE/RL 19 May 2013 -- Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has said Israel is 'acting' to prevent Syrian weapons reaching Lebanon's Hizballah and will continue to do so.
- Indian, Chinese Leaders Discuss Border Dispute VOA 19 May 2013 -- Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and his visiting Chinese counterpart Sunday discussed efforts to resolve a decades-old border dispute between the world's two most populous countries.
- Amano: IAEA ready to settle Iran's nuclear dossier IRNA 19 May 2013 -- Director General of International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Yukiya Amano said the agency stands ready to settle Iran's nuclear dossier.
- Iranians should play role in global management, President IRNA 19 May 2013 -- President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said Sunday that the Islamic Republic of Iran should play a role in global management.
- Guardian Council may approve up to 40 Iranian presidential hopefuls: Spokesman Iran Press TV 19 May 2013 -- Iran's Guardian Council Spokesman Abbas Ali Kadkhodaei says the supervisory body might approve as many as 40 presidential hopefuls for the June 14 election.
- 'CIA spy' Fogle leaves Russia: TV Iran Press TV 19 May 2013 -- US diplomat Ryan Fogle, who was accused of spying for the CIA in Moscow, has left Russia, Russian television has reported.
- 'Unprecedented' CIA Moscow Chief Leak Puzzles Ex-Spies RIA Novosti 18 May 2013 -- Russia's decision to publicly identify a purported top US spy in the country is an "unprecedented" move in relations between Moscow and Washington with no clear indication of how the United States will react, former US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) officers and security experts told RIA Novosti on Friday.
- Alleged Unmasked CIA Agent Leaves Moscow RIA Novosti 19 May 2013 -- Ryan Fogle, the man Russia's security services claimed to have captured last week as he tried to recruit a Russian to spy for the United States, left Russia on Sunday, NTV television reported.
- UN Chief Ban Ki-moon Calls on North Korea to Return to Six-Party Talks RIA Novosti 19 May 2013 -- UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon said on Sunday he was concerned over North Korea's latest short-range missile launches and called on Pyongyang to return to six-party talks on its controversial nuclear program.
- Space Capsule Returns Cosmic Rodents to Earth after Month-Long Flight RIA Novosti 19 May 2013 -- The returnable capsule of a biological research satellite has landed in the Russian Orenburg Region near the border with Kazakhstan, bringing mice, Mongolian gerbils, geckos and various microorganisms and plants back to Earth after their month-long flight, Mission Control said on Sunday.
- Astronomers Awaiting Comet ISON's Year-End Spectacular VOA 19 May 2013 -- Excitement has been growing in recent months over the approach of Comet ISON. Like other comets, this chunk of rock and ice is following a long, elliptical orbit around the Sun, and like other comets, when it nears the Sun later this year, its trailing stream of dust and vapor will catch the sunlight and become a long, luminous, tail. Many astronomers are predicting that when this celestial traveler sweeps by us later this year, it could turn out to be 'the comet of the century.'
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|