04 May 2013 Military News
- Karzai Urges Taliban To Fight Enemies Of Afghanistan RFE/RL 04 May 2013 -- Afghan President Hamid Karzai has called on the Taliban to 'turn their weapons' against those who 'plot' against Afghanistan.
- Karzai Asks Taliban to Support Kabul on Border Spat VOA 04 May 2013 -- Afghanistan's President Hamid Karzai has called on Taliban insurgents to drop their weapons against the Afghan people and turn them against enemies of the war-ravaged country. The statement is widely seen as directed at neighboring Pakistan and it comes just days after one of the worst border clashes between the two uneasy neighbors.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Sailors Weather Alaskan Cold to Commission Navy's Newest Amphib NNS 04 May 2013 -- 'Man our ship and bring her to life!' exclaimed ship sponsor Annette Conway, wife of retired Marine Corps Gen. James T. Conway, 34th Commandant of the U.S. Marine Corps, as the crew ran up the brow and engaged all ship systems.
- US Experimental Military Aircraft Hits Hypersonic Speed RIA Novosti 04 May 2013 -- An unmanned US military aircraft has flown more than five times faster than the speed of sound in a "breakthrough" flight experiment, the US Air Force said Friday.
- China's carrier group secretly assembling: reports CNA 04 May 2013 -- Escort ships for China's first aircraft carrier, the Liaoning, are quietly assembling at Qingdao Harbor and the carrier battle group is suspected to be sailing out soon, a Hong Kong-based Chinese-language newspaper said Saturday.
- China Commissions Surveillance Frigate RIA Novosti 04 May 2013 -- China has commissioned a long-range surveillance frigate to boost its presence in the South China Sea, the Xinhua news agency reported on Saturday.
- Iran to Use New Mine-Sweeping System in Persian Gulf RIA Novosti 04 May 2013 -- Iran will soon put into service a new mine-sweeping system in the Persian Gulf, Navy Commander Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari said on Saturday, the Fars news agency reported.
- Israel Confirms Carrying Out Syrian Air Strike RFE/RL 04 May 2013 -- Israeli officials have confirmed the country's war planes carried out a strike against Syria targeting a shipment of missiles bound for Lebanon's Hizballah.
- Israeli Officials Confirm Air Strike on Syria – News Agency RIA Novosti 04 May 2013 -- Israeli officials confirmed Saturday that their country had carried out an air strike against neighboring Syria, the Associated Press reported.
- Syria Efforts Aimed at Political Dialog - UN Spokesman RIA Novosti 04 May 2013 -- The parties to the conflict in Syria should seek political dialog, a UN spokesman said Friday.
- Syrian Sunnis Flee Coastal City Fearing Massacre VOA 04 May 2013 -- Along Syria's Mediterranean coast, hundreds of residents have left their homes, seeking safety elsewhere after overnight raids by pro-government forces, fearing for their lives after this week's reports of atrocities and mass killings in a nearby Sunni Muslim village.
- Israel Launches Air Strike in Syria VOA 04 May 2013 -- Israel has attacked targets in Syria, raising fears that the Syrian civil war could spread into a broader regional conflict.
- Senegal, Chad Sign Agreement to Investigate Wartime Crimes VOA 04 May 2013 -- The justice ministers from Senegal and Chad have signed an agreement Friday that will allow Senegalese judges to carry out investigations in Chad on the alleged wartime crimes committed during the reign of former Chadian dictator Hissène Habré. Human Rights Watch says this will "greatly facilitate" the work of the court and help move the long-delayed case forward.
- Chinese Researchers Criticized for Creating New Flu Strains RIA Novosti 04 May 2013 -- Top scientists have slammed Chinese researchers for their "appalling irresponsibility" after they deliberately created new strains of influenza virus in a veterinary laboratory, British media reported this week.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|