31 March 2013 Military News
- Karzai Returns from Qatari Talks on Taliban VOA 31 Mar 2013 -- Afghan President Hamid Karzai has returned home from a two-day visit to Qatar where he discussed the possibility of having the Taliban open a political office there to help move Afghanistan's peace process forward.
- NATO Indian Ocean Task Force involved in dramatic rescue of burning bulk carrier NATO 30 Mar 2013 -- Off the island of Masirah (Oman), the cargo bulk carrier 'Atlantic Confidence', Liberian flag, reported to have a fire in the engine room and requested assistance.
Defense Policy / Programs
- PACAF, Japan Airmen conduct ISR exchange AFNS 31 Mar 2013 -- Pacific Air Forces' Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) Airmen visited their Japanese counterparts at Naha and Kadena Air Base, Japan March 11 to 13 to find new ways to enhance ISR bilateral cooperation between the U.S. Air Force and the Koku-jieitai, or Japan Air Self Defense Force.
- Nimitz Sets Sail for Sustainment Exercise NNS 31 Mar 2013 -- The aircraft carrier USS Nimitz (CVN 68) departed its homeport of Everett, Wash., March 30, to embark Carrier Air Wing 11 for a scheduled Sustainment Training Exercise (SUSTEX) in preparation for an upcoming deployment.
- USS Tortuga Underway for Exercise Balikatan 2013 NNS 31 Mar 2013 -- The amphibious dock landing ship USS Tortuga (LSD 46) departed White Beach, Okinawa, to participate in the 29th annual Republic of the Philippines-U.S. Military exercise Balikatan.
- Manila forces US to compensate for reef damage Iran Press TV 31 Mar 2013 -- The Philippines has pressured Washington to pay compensation for environmental damage caused when a US minesweeper ran aground in a UNESCO-listed World Heritage coral reef in the Southeast Asian country's waters.
- Getting CROWS ready to 'fly' again-reclaiming serviceable components for return to the Warfighter Army News 31 Mar 2013 -- The Common Remotely Operated Weapon Station, or CROWS, was initially tested by the Army in late 2008.
- Russian Troops Return to Base After Surprise Black Sea Drills RIA Novosti 31 Mar 2013 -- Troops of Russia's Southern Military District have returned to their base after taking part in surprise Black Sea exercises ordered by President Vladimir Putin, the military district's press office said on Sunday.
- Peru to Buy 24 Russian Helicopters – Media RIA Novosti 31 Mar 2013 -- Peru's government will buy 24 Russian Mil Mi-171 (Hip) helicopters worth overall $406.8 million to use them in the fight against drug trafficking and terrorism, local media reported.
- Minister: Iran ready to offer demining expertise without any political motivation IRNA 31 Mar 2013 -- Minister of Defense and Logistics of Armed Forces, Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi, said on Sunday that the Islamic Republic of Iran is ready to offer its mine sweeping expertise on humanitarian ground without political considerations.
- 1000s rally in support of N Korean military Iran Press TV 31 Mar 2013 -- Tens of thousands of people have staged mass rallies in North Korea in support of the country's military as tensions flare up on the Korean Peninsula.
- North Korea Vows to Strengthen Nuclear Arsenal VOA 31 Mar 2013 -- North Korea has vowed to develop and launch more advanced satellites and says the country's nuclear weapons are non-negotiable and will not be traded even for 'billions of dollars' in economic assistance.
- Report on Plenary Meeting of WPK Central Committee KCNA 31 Mar 2013 -- The historic March, 2013 plenary meeting of the Central Committee of the Workers' Party of Korea took place at the building of the WPK Central Committee, supreme staff of the Korean revolution.
- Local Army-People Meetings Support Statement of KPA Supreme Command KCNA 31 Mar 2013 -- North Phyongan, North Hwanghae and North Hamgyong provincial army-people meetings were held to support the statement of the Supreme Command of the Korean People's Army.
- DPRK's Practical Military Action Is Just: KCNA Commentary KCNA 31 Mar 2013 -- Supreme Commander of the Korean People's Army Kim Jong Un convened an operation meeting at which he examined and ratified the plan of the Strategic Rocket Force for firepower strike.
- 11 people, including women and children, killed in Syria attacks Iran Press TV 31 Mar 2013 -- At least 11 people, including women and children, have been killed in the Syrian capital Damascus and the western province of Homs as violence rages on in the Arab nation, Press TV reports.
- Iraq to Tighten Searches of Iran-Syria Flights - Media RIA Novosti 31 Mar 2013 -- Iraq has announced it would search more Iranian aircraft flying via its airspace to Syria, soon after US State Secretary John Kerry slammed Baghdad for taking no action in that regard, media reported Saturday.
- 'US Army veteran fighting Syrian government worked for CIA' Iran Press TV 31 Mar 2013 -- The father of a US Army veteran recently arrested by the FBI for joining foreign-backed militants in Syria says his son was serving the CIA and reporting back to the Agency from the country.
- Mali Troops, Islamists Clash in Timbuktu VOA 31 Mar 2013 -- At least one Malian soldier was killed and several others were wounded Sunday during fighting between Malian soldiers backed by French forces and Islamist militants in the northern city of Timbuktu.
- India to create multi-million-dollar fund to insure Iran crude imports Iran Press TV 31 Mar 2013 -- India is set to create a multi-million-dollar Energy Insurance Pool (EIP) fund as part of efforts to support local insurers giving coverage to refiners processing Iranian crude oil.
- India not to halt oil imports from Iran IRNA 31 Mar 2013 -- Notwithstanding the tightening of sanctions by US and European Union (EU), India does not intend to halt imports of crude oil from Iran.
- African Union Hopeful of Kenya's Peace, Unity VOA 31 Mar 2013 -- The deputy chairman of the African Union (AU) has expressed confidence that Kenya's President-elect, Uhuru Kenyatta could unite the country after the Supreme Court upheld his victory in the March 4th presidential vote.
- Kenya police clash with Odinga supporters Iran Press TV 31 Mar 2013 -- Kenyan police have clashed with supporters of defeated presidential candidate Raila Odinga in the capital Nairobi and in the western city of Kisumu, Odinga's home region.
- Ecuador raises Assange case with UK's Labour Iran Press TV 31 Mar 2013 -- The Ecuadorian government has held talks with Britain's Labour party in a bid to resolve the current standoff between Quito and London over WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, media reports say.
- Jordanian King Abdullah Swears in New Reformist Government RIA Novosti 31 Mar 2013 -- Jordan's King Abdullah has sworn a reformist government, the smallest in four decades, media reported Saturday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|