29 March 2013 Military News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 29 Mar 2013 [PDF]
- Combined Force Arrests Senior Taliban Leader AFPS 29 Mar 2013 -- An Afghan and coalition security force arrested a senior Taliban leader and detained one other insurgent during an operation in the Nahr-e Saraj district of Afghanistan's Helmand province today, military officials reported.
Defense Policy / Programs
- DOD Releases Update to Sexual Assault Prevention and Response Policy AFPS 29 Mar 2013 -- The Department of Defense yesterday released updated policies and procedures aimed at combating sexual assaults in the military and improving care for victims.
- 2013 DACOWITS Committee Members Announced DoD 29 Mar 2013 -- The Department of Defense announced today the selection of six appointees to the Defense Advisory Committee on Women in the Services (DACOWITS).
- 200th MPCOM participates in Exercise Key Resolve Army News 29 Mar 2013 -- From Africa to Iraq, Afghanistan to South Korea, the Army Reserve's 200th Military Police Command has answered the call and will continue to do so.
- USS Freedom Visits Guam During First Pacific Deployment NNS 29 Mar 2013 -- USS Freedom (LCS 1), the Navy's first littoral combat ship, arrived in Guam, the furthest western U.S. territory, during her first Pacific deployment, March 29.
- Florida National Guard prepares for Qatar security operations mission Army News 29 Mar 2013 -- Florida National Guard Soldiers are in the final training phase of the unit's mobilization. In a matter of weeks, they will deploy to Qatar to conduct security operations missions.
- Centcom-area Troops to Get Commercial Tickets for R&R Flights AFPS 29 Mar 2013 -- Beginning in April, service members and others serving overseas in U.S. Central Command's area of operations will be issued commercial airline tickets to travel to their rest and recuperation leave destination, officials said.
- USS Chancellorsville Completes Combat Systems Upgrades NNS 29 Mar 2013 -- Naval Sea Systems Command completed the first-ever Air Defense Cruiser Aegis Baseline 9 combat systems upgrade for USS Chancellorsville (CG 62), March 29.
- Military-to-Military Engagement Increases Maritime Law Enforcement Capabilities NNS 29 Mar 2013 -- Coast Guard and Navy personnel from Cape Verde, United Kingdom and the United States took part in a maritime law enforcement engagement in coordination with Cape Verde's maritime operations center (MOC), March 16-24.
- Navy Designs Mechanized Rear-Door Assist for Mine Resistant Vehicles NNS 29 Mar 2013 -- The U.S. Marine Corps' Mine Resistant Ambush Protection (MRAP) Buffalo vehicles were designed to protect Marines from Improvised Explosive Devices, and the Navy is improving MRAPs this March by upgrading them with a new Rear-Door Assist (RDA) mechanism.
- AF system improves homeland air defense AFNS 29 Mar 2013 -- An Air Force system designed in the wake of Sept. 11 to provide comprehensive air surveillance and defense for North America recently got even better.
- Stratcom Research Partnership Tackles WMD Threat AFPS 29 Mar 2013 -- A new partnership between U.S. Strategic Command and the University of Nebraska is pushing the envelope to address what Air Force Gen. C. Robert Kehler, Stratcom's commander, calls one of the most pervasive threats to the United States: weapons of mass destruction.
- WGS-5 Launch Aboard a Delta IV Confirmed for May 8 AFNS 29 Mar 2013 -- The launch of the U.S. Air Force's Wideband Global SATCOM mission on a United Launch Alliance Delta IV vehicle has been placed on the 45th Space Wing range schedule for May 8.
- No longer used safety shelters at McAlester Army Ammunition Plant being removed Army News 29 Mar 2013 -- Excavator crews at McAlester Army Ammunition Plant in Oklahoma are busily removing 36 underground safety shelters and two small facilities.
- Russian president orders unscheduled military drill in Black Sea Iran Press TV 29 Mar 2013 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has ordered an unexpected military exercise involving dozens of ships and thousands of troops in the Black Sea.
- Russian Navy Develops New Mini Submarines RIA Novosti 29 Mar 2013 -- Russian shipbuilders are working on developing new "super mini" submarines, the United Shipbuilding Corporation state holding company said on Friday.
- President Putin Attends Black Sea Military Drills RIA Novosti 29 Mar 2013 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin arrived in the country's southern Black Sea region on Friday to attend large-scale military exercises aimed at testing the combat readiness of units in the area, which will host the Winter Olympic Games next year.
- Russian Shipbuilders Oppose Domestic Mistral Construction RIA Novosti 29 Mar 2013 -- Russia should not build a second pair of French-designed Mistral-class amphibious assault ships, as Russian shipbuilders are capable of designing and building their own vessels of this type, a senior defense industry official said on Friday.
- Japanese Study Warns of China's Rising Military Assertiveness VOA 29 Mar 2013 -- A Japanese government-funded study published Friday is warning that China is becoming less afraid of angering its neighbors as it pursues a bolder maritime policy.
- Iran, N.Korea, Syria Block Global Arms Treaty RIA Novosti 29 Mar 2013 -- Delegations from 193 UN member states failed to reach unanimity on the first international treaty establishing rules for cross-border conventional arms trade, due to objections from Iran, North Korea and Syria.
- Press Gaggle by Principal Deputy Press Secretary Josh Earnest Aboard Air Force One en route Miami, FL, 3/29/2013 The White House 29 Mar 2013
- Kim Jong Un Convenes Operation Meeting, Finally Examines and Ratifies Plan for Firepower Strike KCNA 29 Mar 2013 -- The moves of the U.S. imperialists to violate the sovereignty of the DPRK and encroach upon its supreme interests have entered a grave phase.
- Little: North Koreans 'Need to Dial the Temperature Down' AFPS 29 Mar 2013 -- The world cannot afford a miscalculation when dealing with North Korea, Pentagon Press Secretary George Little told CNN last night.
- Rockets ready, says North Korea Iran Press TV 29 Mar 2013 -- North Korea has ordered the preparations for strategic rocket strikes in the event of any 'reckless' US provocation.
- Moscow Fears Korea Tensions Slipping 'Out Of Control' RFE/RL 29 Mar 2013 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has warned that an escalation in tensions between North Korea and the United States could get out of control, and urged all sides involved in the standoff to show restraint.
- N.Korea Puts Rocket Units on Standby - Agency RIA Novosti 29 Mar 2013 -- North Korean strategic rocket forces were ordered to be on standby on Friday to strike US and South Korean targets, South Korea's Yonhap news agency said, citing state media.
- Moscow Warns Against 'Muscle Flexing' Around N. Korea RIA Novosti 29 Mar 2013 -- Russia cautioned against aggressive posturing in response to increasingly bellicose North Korean rhetoric on Friday, saying that it could spiral into violence.
- North Koreans Rally for Military Strike Against US VOA 29 Mar 2013 -- Tens of thousands of North Koreans held a huge rally Friday, in support their leader's threat of a possible military strike against the United States.
- Army and People of DPRK Pledge Revenge on Enemies: CPRK Secretariat KCNA 29 Mar 2013 -- The Secretariat of the Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of Korea (CPRK) released its information bulletin No. 1027 Friday which says as follows:
- DPRK Premier Makes Field Survey of Work in North Phyongan Province KCNA 29 Mar 2013 -- DPRK Premier Choe Yong Rim made a field survey of work in various fields in North Phyongan Province.
- Pyongyangites Meet to Support Statement of KPA Supreme Command KCNA 29 Mar 2013 -- A meeting of Pyongyangites took place at Kim Il Sung Square Friday to support the statement of the Supreme Command of the Korean People's Army (KPA) and to win victory in the final do-or-die battle with aggressors including the U.S. imperialists and south Korean puppet group of traitors.
- DPRK Servicepersons on Highest Alert KCNA 29 Mar 2013 -- All services and arms units of the Korean People's Army (KPA), including the strategic rocket units, have been placed on the highest alert to cope with new war moves of the U.S. imperialists.
- DPRK People Confident of Victory in Faceoff with U.S. KCNA 29 Mar 2013 -- It was reported through media Friday that Marshal Kim Jong Un, supreme commander of the Korean People's Army (KPA), convened an urgent operation meeting on the KPA Strategic Rocket Forces' performance of duty for firepower strike and finally examined and ratified a plan for the firepower strike.
- Nuclear War to Be Conducted on Korean Peninsula KCNA 29 Mar 2013 -- A nuclear war has turned out to be an established one on the Korean Peninsula.
- U.S., Common Enemy of World's Progressives KCNA 29 Mar 2013 -- The Supreme Command of the Korean People's Army in a statement called upon the progressive people across the world to actively join the army and people of the DPRK in defending independence and justice, not blindly following the U.S. high-handed and arbitrary practices.
- Just War of Retaliation Will Lead to Victory in Great War for National Reunification: KCNA Commentary KCNA 29 Mar 2013 -- The U.S. hostile policy toward the DPRK that has been intensified after the DPRK's launch of satellite for peaceful purposes has now reached the phase of a provocation of a nuclear war.
- There Is No Prospect for Peaceful Settlement of DPRK-U.S. Relations: Minju Joson KCNA 29 Mar 2013 -- An opportunity for peacefully settling the DPRK-U.S. relations is no longer available as the U.S. opted for staking its fate. Consequently, there remains only the settlement of accounts by a physical means. Minju Joson Friday says this in a bylined commentary.
- U.S. Introduces B-2As into S. Korea KCNA 29 Mar 2013 -- The U.S. imperialists on Thursday let B-2As fly into the sky above south Korea to stage a drill for striking ground targets in the DPRK, south Korean KBS reported.
- Syria's Opposition Leader Reaches Political Crossroads VOA 29 Mar 2013 -- The man now representing the Syrian opposition to the world almost didn't attend his own coming out party. Indeed, Mouaz al-Khatib had resigned as president of the Syrian opposition's National Coalition two days before a scheduled Arab League meeting in Doha and hadn't even planned to attend the gathering.
- France says will keep 1,000 troops in Mali post-2013 Iran Press TV 29 Mar 2013 -- French President Francois Hollande says the country will keep at least 1,000 troops in the war-ravaged West African country of Mali beyond 2013.
- Iran will not negotiate on its Persian Gulf islands: Iranian lawmaker Iran Press TV 29 Mar 2013 -- The Iranian delegation to the 128th assembly of the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU) has reiterated Iran's sovereignty over the three Persian Gulf islands of the Greater Tunb, the Lesser Tunb, and Abu Musa.
- UNICEF warns 2 million children without basic services in Central African Republic UN News Centre 29 Mar 2013 -- Two million children in the Central African Republic are without basic social services and are exposed to violence following a power grab by the Séléka rebel coalition and subsequent insecurity and looting, the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) today said, warning that more children will be at risk if the country does not stabilize quickly.
- Cambodia: UN-backed genocide court rules Nuon Chea fit for trial UN News Centre 29 Mar 2013 -- The trial chamber of the United Nations-backed court in Cambodia that is trying those accused of genocide and crimes against humanity today ruled that Nuon Chea, also knows as "Brother Number Two" to Khmer Rouge leader Pol Pot, is fit for trial.
- Juba Says Khartoum Complicit in Border Raids VOA 29 Mar 2013 -- South Sudan said Friday that Khartoum is doing nothing to stop attacks by Arab nomads on communities near the border of the two countries, adding that it has filed a complaint with the United Nations security forces about the attacks.
- Western sanctions have failed to impede Iran's progress: Mehmanparast Iran Press TV 29 Mar 2013 -- The Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman says the Western sanctions on Iran have failed to impede the Islamic Republic's progress in various fields of science.
- Iran to build first small oil refinery in Golestan Province Iran Press TV 29 Mar 2013 -- Head of Iran's Oil Products Exporters Union says the Islamic Republic is planning to build its first small oil refinery in the northeastern province of Golestan.
- Negotiations between Iran and P5+1 making progress: Iran FM Iran Press TV 29 Mar 2013 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi says negotiations between Iran and the six major world powers over the Islamic Republic's nuclear energy program are moving forward.
- Iraq: UN envoy strongly condemns coordinated attacks in Baghdad and Kirkuk UN News Centre 29 Mar 2013 -- The top United Nations official in Iraq today condemned in the strongest terms the coordinated attacks on several Husseiniyas in the capital Baghdad and the northern city of Kirkuk that killed and injured dozens, including Cleric Muhsin Al-Battat, Grand Ayatollah Al-Sistani's representative in Kirkuk.
- Deadly Pakistan Suicide Bombing Targets Police Commander RFE/RL 29 Mar 2013 -- A suicide attack in northwestern Pakistan has targeted a paramilitary police force commander, killing at least 10 people and wounding at least 25 others.
- New UK domestic spy agency chief named Iran Press TV 29 Mar 2013 -- Britain has named the current deputy director of its domestic spy agency MI5 as the new intelligence organization's chief with his mandate beginning next month.
- Russia's Soyuz Spacecraft Docks with ISS RIA Novosti 29 Mar 2013 -- The Soyuz TMA-08M spacecraft, carrying new crew members to the International Space Station (ISS), docked with the station as scheduled on Friday, a spokesman for the Russian space agency Roscosmos said.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|