27 March 2013 Military News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 27 Mar 2013 [PDF]
- ISAF Deputy Details Final Afghan Security Transition AFPS 27 Mar 2013 -- With the International Security Assistance Force mission in Afghanistan shifting from combat to support later this spring, the ISAF deputy commander briefed reporters at NATO headquarters in Brussels today on progress and the hard work that remains.
- Pakistan Says Afghanistan 'Overreacts' to Cross-Border Shelling VOA 27 Mar 2013 -- Pakistan on Wednesday criticized as an "overreaction" Afghanistan's decision to cancel a military trip over alleged cross-border shelling by Pakistani troops. Officials have also dismissed Kabul's allegations that Islamabad is not helping in efforts aimed at advancing the Afghan peace process. The renewed bilateral tensions come as foreign forces prepare to leave Afghanistan by the end of 2014.
- Russia, NATO to Discuss Afghanistan Maintenance Bases RIA Novosti 27 Mar 2013 -- Russian defense officials and NATO representatives will discuss the creation of army maintenance bases in Afghanistan in May, a Defense Ministry official said on Wednesday.
Defense Policy / Programs
- ICRC Sends Team to Check Guantanamo Hunger Strike VOA 27 Mar 2013 -- The International Committee of the Red Cross says it has sent a delegation to check conditions at the Guantanamo U.S. military prison, a week earlier than planned, because of a hunger strike among detainees.
- Cyber Vision 2025: AF missions at risk in cyberspace AFNS 27 Mar 2013 -- A recently released year-long study on cyberspace highlighted that missions are at risk from 'malicious insiders, insecure supply chains and increasingly sophisticated adversaries as well as growing systems interdependencies.'
- Readout of Secretary Hagel's Call with South Korean Minister of National Defense Kim DoD 27 Mar 2013
- Pacific Air Forces commander thanks Airmen as Cope Tiger 13 concludes AFNS 27 Mar 2013 -- The commander of Pacific Air Forces met with Airmen from the U.S., Thailand and Republic of Singapore as they joined forces one last time on the flight line during the closing ceremony for Cope Tiger 13 here March 21.
- MilPDS upgrade complete AFNS 27 Mar 2013 -- The Air Force has successfully upgraded and transferred the Military Personnel Data System to the Defense Information Systems Agency Defense Enterprise Computing Center, Air Force Personnel Center officials said March 25.
- Improvements extend C-5 life AFNS 27 Mar 2013 -- Using Air Force Smart Operations for the 21st Century, Airmen here improved the reliability and life expectancy of the C-5M Super Galaxy.
- Blue Horizons: War College students look at 2035 AFNS 27 Mar 2013 -- Each spring, a select group of Air War College students meet for BOGSAT sessions and collaborate in 'murder boards' to help Air Force leaders make decisions on how the service will adapt to technological changes in the next quarter of a century.
- DOD Looks at Funding's Effect on Personnel, Programs AFPS 27 Mar 2013 -- Defense Department officials are looking at the recently signed continuing resolution that funds the government for the rest of the fiscal year to discern how the legislation affects personnel and programs, Pentagon Press Secretary George Little said today.
- FSC move quarry equipment Army News 27 Mar 2013 -- The Forward Support Company, 84th Engineer Battalion, currently forward deployed to Camp Covington, Naval Base Guam, completed their first major movement of oversized quarry equipment to the Port Authority of Guam.
- 523rd Bulldogs make progress on Project 808 Army News 27 Mar 2013 -- While the submarine tender vessel, USS Frank Cable, sat docked idly next to their construction site, the Soldiers of Bravo Company, 84th Engineer Battalion, were anything but stagnant.
- Navy Lauded in New Report NNS 27 Mar 2013 -- A March report issued by the Government Accountability Office (GAO) puts a spotlight on the Office of Naval Research (ONR) for effective ways to get new technologies out of the lab and into the hands of the warfighter.
- Stennis Strike Group Departs U.S. 5th Fleet AOR NNS 27 Mar 2013 -- The John C. Stennis Carrier Strike Group (JCSCSG) departed the U.S. 5th Fleet area of responsibility (AOR), March 26, after spending more than five months operating with and supporting U.S. Naval Forces Central Command (NAVCENT).
- Submarine USS Asheville Departs for Six-month Deployment NNS 27 Mar 2013 -- USS Asheville (SSN 758) deployed from Naval Base Point Loma for a scheduled six-month Western Pacific deployment, March 26.
- Army Signal Corps Takes Control of Cryptography and Cryptanalysis. This Week in History, April 5, 1929 Army News 27 Mar 2013 -- The business of solving codes and ciphers had been an active field in the U.S. government since World War I when Ralph Van Deman realized he needed a cipher bureau as part of his newly organized Military Intelligence Division. Van Deman picked a State Department code clerk and amateur cryptologist named Herbert Yardley to head up his newly created Codes and Ciphers division, or MI-8. Yardley was commissioned a lieutenant in 1917, and tasked with setting up MI-8. The fledgling Cipher Bureau had quite a few remarkable successes.
- Joint Russia-NATO Missile Shield Inefficient - Rasmussen RIA Novosti 27 Mar 2013 -- NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen said on Thursday that he did not see a joint Russia-NATO missile shield in Europe as the most efficient option.
- Taiwan to receive 12 anti-sub aircraft by June 2015: military CNA 27 Mar 2013 -- Taiwan will take delivery of 12 P-3C submarine-hunting aircraft from the United States by mid-June 2015, Navy Chief of Staff Vice Admiral Hsu Pei-shan said Wednesday.
- Russia to Equip Submarine Forces With High-Precision Weapons RIA Novosti 27 Mar 2013 -- Russia plans to equip its submarine forces with long-range high-precision weapons, which will enhance their strategic deterrent capabilities, Russia's defense minister said Wednesday.
- Investigators Probe $3 Mln Defense Firm Fraud RIA Novosti 27 Mar 2013 -- Investigators are probing the suspected embezzlement of 102 million rubles ($3.3 million) by the head of a state-owned defense firm during the development of a space rocket system, the Prosecutor General's Office said on Wednesday.
- Bulgarian Prime Minister visits NATO headquarters NATO 27 Mar 2013 -- Bulgaria was commended for its contributions to Allied missions in Afghanistan and Kosovo during the Bulgarian Prime Minister's visit to NATO headquarters on Wednesday (27 March 2013).
- Bangladesh Plans to Buy 24 Russian Jet Trainers RIA Novosti 27 Mar 2013 -- Bangladesh is planning to buy 24 Yak-130 Mitten jet trainers on $1 billion credit from Russia, Russia's state arms exporter Rosoboronexport said on Wednesday.
- Press Briefing by Principal Deputy Press Secretary Josh Earnest, 03/27/2013 The White House 27 Mar 2013
- March 27, 2013 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 27 Mar 2013
- 27 March 2013 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 27 Mar 2013
- Pyongyang warns of nuclear war due to South Korea-US provocations Iran Press TV 27 Mar 2013 -- North Korea says it is informing the United Nations of an imminent nuclear war on the Korean peninsula due to provocations from Washington and Seoul.
- North Korea Cuts Key Military Hotline with South VOA 27 Mar 2013 -- North Korea says it is cutting a key military hotline with the South. It is the latest setback on the peninsula, amid an escalating war of words between the two Koreas.
- Head of UN probe into chemical weapons use in Syria says preparatory work has begun UN News Centre 27 Mar 2013 -- The newly-appointed head of the United Nations investigation into allegations of reported chemical weapons use in Syria says that preparations for the probe have begun and the mission could start in a week or two.
- Syria: Security Council express 'grave concern' over presence of troops in Golan Heights UN News Centre 27 Mar 2013 -- The United Nations Security Council today said it was gravely concerned at the presence of the Syrian and opposition troops inside the demilitarized area of the Golan Heights that peacekeepers have been monitoring since 1974, calling on both sides to respect the blue helmets' freedom of movement and security.
- Analysts: Arab Recognition Boosts Syrian Opposition, Arms Flow VOA 27 Mar 2013 -- The Arab League's decision to recognize Syria's anti-government coalition as the legitimate representative of the Syrian people has boosted the opposition's international standing and opened the door to increasing an already substantial arms flow to rebel fighters, analysts say.
- Russia Calls Syrian Opposition's Arab League Seat 'Illegal' RFE/RL 27 Mar 2013 -- Russia has criticized the Arab League's decision to give Syria's seat in the organization to the antigovernment opposition as 'Illegal,' 'indefensible,' and 'anti-Syrian.'
- Russia Slams Arab League's Decision to Arm Syrian Rebels RIA Novosti 27 Mar 2013 -- The Russian Foreign Ministry said in a statement on Wednesday that the Arab League's decision to allow its members to supply Syrian opposition forces with weapons broke international laws.
- Syria, Russia, Iran Slam Arab League VOA 27 Mar 2013 -- Syria, Russia and Iran have criticized the Arab League for its decision to award Damascus's seat at the organization to anti-government representatives, as the opposition coalition opened its first embassy in the Qatari capital, Doha.
- Congolese refugee camps in Rwanda 'full' IRIN 27 Mar 2013 -- Camps in Rwanda hosting thousands of refugees from the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) are running out of space following an influx of people fleeing insecurity in eastern DRC, says a senior government official.
- Time to reconcile in Bangladesh? IRIN 27 Mar 2013 -- Recent civil unrest on the streets of Bangladesh has left experts questioning how to move past the country's violent birth - without incurring more deaths.
- Argentina renews demands for talks over Malvinas Islands Iran Press TV 27 Mar 2013 -- Argentinean Foreign Minister Hector Timerman has called for the British government officials to sit down at the negotiating table to settle the long-lasting sovereignty dispute over the Malvinas Islands (Falklands).
- Argentina calls on UK to enter talks over Malvinas Islands Iran Press TV 27 Mar 2013 -- Argentinean Foreign Minister Hector Timerman has once again called on British authorities to enter talks over the Malvinas Islands at the United Nations.
- British troops support Mali training mission UK MOD 27 Mar 2013 -- British troops have arrived in Mali to assist in the training of the Malian military as part of a European Union Training Mission.
- Former high-ranking Bosnian Serbs receive sentences for war crimes from UN tribunal UN News Centre 27 Mar 2013 -- Two former high-level Bosnian Serb officials were sentenced today to 22 years imprisonment by a United Nations tribunal, for crimes against humanity and war crimes committed in Bosnia and Herzegovina in 1992.
- UN Considers Mali Stabilization Mission VOA 27 Mar 2013 -- The U.N. Security Council held initial discussions Wednesday about options for a peacekeeping force in Mali after France withdraws its troops.
- Fire-Gutted Vessel Highlights Vietnam-China Maritime Dispute VOA 27 Mar 2013 -- A long-running territorial dispute between Hanoi and Beijing has flared again after an incident this week in the South China Sea. A day after the Vietnamese government accused China of firing flares at a fishing boat near Chinese-controlled islands, Hanoi announced a plan to honor what it says are the islands' original Vietnamese settlers.
- Majlis Speaker hails defense power of Iranian armed forces IRNA 27 Mar 2013 -- Majlis (Parliament) speaker Ali Larijani on Wednesday praised defense power of Iranian armed forces saying that western and regional powers are well aware of preparedness of Iranian defense power and that they enjoy support from the nation.
- Nuclear achievements neutralizing Western sanctions: Iran MP Iran Press TV 27 Mar 2013 -- Iranian lawmaker Mansour Haqiqatpour says the speedy progress of the country's nuclear energy program has rendered illegal Western sanctions futile.
- Iran strongly protests to Saudi government over alleged financing spy network IRNA 27 Mar 2013 -- Saudi charge d'affaires in Tehran was summoned to Foreign Ministry on Wednesday to hear Iran's strong protest to Saudi government over alleged Iranian intelligence service financing spy network in Saudi Arabia.
- Iran summons Saudi chargé d'affaires over spy cell allegations Iran Press TV 27 Mar 2013 -- Iran has summoned the Saudi Arabia's chargé d'affaires in Tehran over Riyadh's allegations that the Islamic Republic has links to a spy cell in the Arab kingdom.
- Woman that ran CIA's torture ops picked as its clandestine service chief Iran Press TV 27 Mar 2013 -- The new head of the US spy agency has appointed a woman involved in running the CIA's detention and torture program and destroying videotapes of the interrogation sessions as the chief of its clandestine service.
- Proton Rocket Successfully Launches Satmex-8 into Orbit RIA Novosti 27 Mar 2013 -- Russia's Proton-M carrier rocket has successfully put a Mexican telecommunications satellite into orbit, a spokesperson for the Russian Federal Space Agency Roscosmos said on Wednesday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|