25 March 2013 Military News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 25 Mar 2013 [PDF]
- Secretary Kerry Remarks With President Hamid Karzai After Their Meeting US Dept. of State 25 Mar 2013
- Background Briefing: Senior Adminitration Officials US Dept. of State 25 Mar 2013
- Kerry, Karzai Discuss Prisoner Transfer, Taliban Talks VOA 25 Mar 2013 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry is in Afghanistan where he and President Hamid Karzai discussed efforts to bring the Taliban into reconciliation talks. The previously unannounced visit follows agreement on the U.S. handover of its last Afghan prisoners.
- Officials Confirm Deaths of Taliban Leaders in Helmand AFPS 25 Mar 2013 -- Afghan and coalition military officials today confirmed that two key Taliban leaders in Afghanistan's Helmand province were killed in recent operations.
- Afghan government gains control of Bagram prison Iran Press TV 25 Mar 2013 -- Afghan authorities have taken control of Bagram prison from the US-led forces currently stationed in the war-ravaged country.
- Kerry Visits Afghanistan; U.S. Hands Over Bagram Prison RFE/RL 25 Mar 2013 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry has met with Afghan President Hamid Karzai after arriving in Afghanistan on an unannounced trip.
- Iron Horse Gaining Traction In Afghanistan RFE/RL 25 Mar 2013 -- More than 200 years after the arrival of steam locomotives changed the world of transport forever, the 'iron horse' has finally made it to Afghanistan.
- US Hands Full Control of Bagram Prison to Afghanistan VOA 25 Mar 2013 -- Afghanistan has taken full control of a controversial detention center from the United States.
- Kerry Makes Surprise Visit to Afghanistan VOA 25 Mar 2013 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry is in Afghanistan for talks with President Hamid Karzai on security cooperation and preparations for next year's elections. The unannounced visit follows agreement on the transfer of the last Afghan prisoners held by U.S. forces.
- Eisenhower, Carrier Air Wing Seven Begin Supporting OEF NNS 25 Mar 2013 -- Carrier Air Wing 7 embarked aboard aircraft carrier USS Dwight D. Eisenhower flew its first combat sorties of its 2013 deployment in support of Operation Enduring Freedom March 24.
- Lewis-McChord Veterinary Detachment assumes duties in Southern Afghanistan Army News 25 Mar 2013 -- Transfer of authority from the 438th Medical Detachment (Veterinary Services) to the 218th Medical Detachment (Veterinary Service Support).
Defense Policy / Programs
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Hagel's Call with Russian Minister of Defense Sergey Shoygu DoD 25 Mar 2013
- DOD requires more base closings, official says AFNS 25 Mar 2013 -- The Defense Department possesses more real estate than it needs and is looking to close additional bases and installations in the United States and abroad, a senior DOD official told a House panel March 14.
- Stavridis Presses for More NATO-Russia Dialogue AFPS 25 Mar 2013 -- Noting increased cooperation between NATO and Russia in several key areas, the top NATO and U.S. European Command commander emphasized today the importance of working through stumbling blocks in what he called a "complicated partnership."
- Guard prepares for hurricane season in Louisiana Army News 25 Mar 2013 -- As hurricane season approaches, a recently completed preparedness exercise in Louisiana demonstrated that National Guard units and other first responders there are ready to assist if called upon.
- New sensors test trailer delivers savings for Army Army News 25 Mar 2013 -- The development of a new test asset for Army aviation sensors brings results and solutions at a faster pace.
- 189th IN feels HEAT during training exercise Army News 25 Mar 2013 -- During a major training exercise here, Reserve Component Soldiers of Division West's 189th Infantry Brigade learned what to do in case of a Humvee rollover during training in a High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle Egress Assistance Trainer.
- Engineers from two hemispheres work to build FOB USMC News 25 Mar 2013 -- The Marines and sailors of the Black Sea Rotational Force 13 and the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit are currently living at a forward operating base built and constructed by engineers with the U.S. Marine Corps and the Republic of Georgia Army.
- BSRF Marines and Georgian Army conduct live fire range together USMC News 25 Mar 2013 -- Marines and sailors assigned to the Black Sea Rotational Force 13 participated in a live fire range today with soldiers of the Georgian army during exercise Agile Spirit 13 at Vaziani Air Base in the Republic of Georgia, March 19, 2013.
- US, South Korea sign military deal against North 'provocations' Iran Press TV 25 Mar 2013 -- The United States and South Korea have signed a military deal enabling a joint response to what they call provocations by North Korea, official sources say.
- NOSC Rock Island CO Relieved of Duties NNS 25 Mar 2013 -- Capt. George Whitbred, commander, Navy Region Midwest Reserve Component Command (NRWRCC), relieved Lt. Cmdr. Jack O'Neill, commanding officer of Navy Operational Support Center Rock Island.
- Russian Military Inspectors to Fly Over Croatia, Slovenia RIA Novosti 25 Mar 2013 -- Russian military inspectors will make surveillance flights over the territories of Croatia and Slovenia countries under the international Open Skies Treaty beginning on Monday, a spokesman for the Russian Defense Ministry said.
- Shoigu Urges Pentagon to Revive Missile Defense Dialogue RIA Novosti 25 Mar 2013 -- Russia wants to resume regular consultations with the United States on a range of security issues, including missile defense, a top military official said Monday.
- Prosecutors Probe Alleged $1 Mln Space Forces Fraud RIA Novosti 25 Mar 2013 -- Military prosecutors are investigating the suspected embezzlement of over 30 million rubles (about $1 million) at the Space Defense Forces (SDF), the Chief Military Prosecutor's Office said on Monday.
- UK stealth fighters base announced UK MOD 25 Mar 2013 -- The UK's Lightning II stealth fighter aircraft will be based at RAF Marham in Norfolk, Defence Secretary Philip Hammond announced.
- China's recent arms deal may worsen Taiwan-China imbalance: experts CNA 25 Mar 2013 -- Local military experts expressed concerns Monday that China's latest purchase of jet fighters and submarines from Russia may weaken Taiwan's 'qualitative' advantage in military capability.
- China to purchase fighter jets, submarines from Russia: Report Iran Press TV 25 Mar 2013 -- China is set to purchase two dozen fighter jets and four submarines from Russia, Chinese state media say.
- Taiwan regrets being denied access to Jakarta defense conference CNA 25 Mar 2013 -- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) has expressed regret and discontent over Indonesia's snub of Taiwan at the just-concluded 2013 Jakarta International Defense Dialogue, Foreign Minister David Lin said Monday.
- 25 March 2013 - Press Conference by Civil Society Experts on Arms Trade Treaty United Nations 25 Mar 2013
- March 25, 2013 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 25 Mar 2013
- Press Briefing by Principal Deputy Press Secretary Josh Earnest, 03/25/2013 The White House 25 Mar 2013
- 25 March 2013 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 25 Mar 2013
- KCNA Commentary on U.S. Moves to Undermine Truth of DPRK's Possession of Nukes KCNA 25 Mar 2013 -- The United States is resorting to the whole gamut of intrigues to distort the truth of the present situation on the Korean Peninsula.
- AA Nullification Is Bold Decision to Terminate State of War on Korean Peninsula: KCNA Report KCNA 25 Mar 2013 -- The Korean Central News Agency released a report on March 24, clarifying the justice of the decision for nullifying the Korean Armistice Agreement.
- Kim Jong Un Guides Landing and Anti-landing Drills of KPA Units KCNA 25 Mar 2013 -- Supreme Commander of the Korean People's Army Marshal Kim Jong Un guided the landing and anti-landing drills of KPA Large Combined Units 324 and 287 and KPA Navy Combined Unit 597.
- UN to Temporarily Relocate Some Staff from Syria VOA 25 Mar 2013 -- The United Nations said Monday it is relocating about 50 of its international personnel from the Syrian capital after mortars fell near their hotel.
- Syrian Jihadist Fighters Getting Western Weapons VOA 25 Mar 2013 -- A Syrian rebel group the Obama administration considers a terrorist organization is managing to obtain modern anti-tank weapons meant for other groups fighting to oust President Bashar al-Assad, according to regional experts.
- FSA commander badly hurt in Syria car bombing Iran Press TV 25 Mar 2013 -- A militant commander of the foreign-sponsored so-called Free Syrian Army has been gravely injured in a car bomb explosion in the eastern part of the conflict-stricken Arab state, Press TV reports.
- CIA aids Arab kingdoms, Turkey in huge surge of arms shift to Syria rebels Iran Press TV 25 Mar 2013 -- US spy agency CIA has played a major role in locating weapon sources and coordinating a huge surge of arms shipments to foreign-backed militants in Syria by governments of Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Jordan.
- Syrian army restores security to Homs' Baba Amr neighborhood Iran Press TV 25 Mar 2013 -- The Syrian army has restored security to Baba Amr neighborhood in the city of Homs several weeks after terrorist groups had entered the district, Press TV reports.
- Top Syrian Rebel Commander Reportedly Wounded RFE/RL 25 Mar 2013 -- Syrian activists say a top rebel military leader has been severely wounded by a bomb in the eastern Syrian province of Deir Al-Zoir.
- Syrian Rebel Commander Wounded in Bomb Blast VOA 25 Mar 2013 -- Syrian activists say a car bomb in eastern Syria has wounded a top rebel commander who was among the first to defect from Syria's military.
- DRC Warlord Ntaganda Faces ICC Judges Tuesday VOA 25 Mar 2013 -- The spokesman for the International Criminal Court (ICC) says the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) warlord Bosco Ntaganda will make his first appearance in court on Tuesday, March 26.
- CAR Leader Flees; Rebel Chief Declares Self President VOA 25 Mar 2013 -- The ousted president of the Central African Republic has fled to Cameroon, as rebels who overthrew him named a new head of state and pledged to hold elections within three years.
- Central African Republic: UN chief calls for restoration of constitutional order UN News Centre 25 Mar 2013 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today called for the swift restoration of constitutional order in the Central African Republic (CAR) after rebels seized the capital, Bangui, in fierce fighting, forcing President François Bozizé to flee.
- 13 South African soldiers killed in CAR capital Iran Press TV 25 Mar 2013 -- At least 13 South African soldiers have lost their lives in clashes with rebels at a checkpoint on the outskirts of Central African Republic's capital, Bangui.
- Seleka fighters respect January peace deal with CAR government: Seleka leader Iran Press TV 25 Mar 2013 -- Seleka fighters in the Central African Republic (CAR) say they would respect a peace deal signed between them and the CAR government in January.
- CAR coup comes amid deepening humanitarian crisis IRIN 25 Mar 2013 -- A rebel-led weekend coup in the Central African Republic (CAR) took place against a backdrop of worsening humanitarian conditions in many parts of the country, with access to affected populations severely restricted.
- CAR Rebels Plan Power Sharing Government VOA 25 Mar 2013 -- Rebels in the Central African Republic say they plan to put in place a power sharing government, a day after seizing the capital.
- France May Evacuate Russians from Central African Republic RIA Novosti 25 Mar 2013 -- French military may evacuate Russian nationals if necessary from the Central African Republic (CAR) after rebel forces seized the republic's capital of Bangui on Sunday, Russia's Kommersant daily reported.
- UN envoy cites opening for serious push for Israeli-Palestinian peace UN News Centre 25 Mar 2013 -- With the Israeli and Palestinian leaders having reiterated their commitment to a two-State solution, it is vital for the international community to help them bridge their differences and make a serious push for progress in the peace process, a senior United Nations envoy said today.
- Palestinians reject partial freeze on Israeli settlements Iran Press TV 25 Mar 2013 -- Palestinian Authority (PA) chief negotiator Saeb Erekat says that his government will not accept a "partial" Israeli settlement freeze as a conciliatory move to restart peace talks.
- DR Congo: UN peacekeepers transfer rebels to authorities after peaceful surrender UN News Centre 25 Mar 2013 -- The United Nations peacekeeping mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) today transferred hundreds of Mayi-Mayi combatants to Kinshasa after the rebels turned over their weapons to the peacekeepers this weekend and took part in UN-led mediation.
- UN peacekeepers step up patrols in western Côte d'Ivoire after deadly attack UN News Centre 25 Mar 2013 -- The United Nations peacekeeping missions in Côte d'Ivoire and neighbouring Liberia have been reinforcing their patrols after an attack by armed elements in Petit Guiglo, in Côte d'Ivoire's western region.
- Progress in Liberia must be inclusive to ensure lasting peace – UN envoy UN News Centre 25 Mar 2013 -- All Liberians must be part of their country's progress to ensure lasting peace, a United Nations envoy said today, praising the West African nation for its advances since the end of its civil war two decades ago and stressing the role of people's participation in the security transition process.
- UN agency and partners aid Thai refugee camp after deadly fire UN News Centre 25 Mar 2013 -- The United Nations refugee agency and its partners are rushing aid to north-western Thailand, where a fire killed more than 30 people, wounded several others and destroyed thatched homes leaving thousands of people homeless in a remote refugee camp in Mae Hong Son province.
- President Ma pitches Diaoyutais peace plan to U.S. congressmen CNA 25 Mar 2013 -- President Ma Ying-jeou told visiting U.S. congressmen Monday that Taiwan is a peace-loving country that hopes to address territorial disputes in the East China Sea through a peace initiative Ma proposed last year.
- Joint UN-AU mission in Darfur condemns arrest of internally displaced persons UN News Centre 25 Mar 2013 -- The joint United Nations-African Union peacekeeping mission in Darfur today condemned the arrest of dozens of internally displaced persons (IDPs) by an unidentified armed group while they were en route to a national conference.
- Microsoft reveals FBI spies on its clients Iran Press TV 25 Mar 2013 -- The world's largest software company has revealed that the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) secretly spies on the private information of its customers.
- Mossad's Prisoner X leaked secrets to Hezbollah: Der Spiegel Iran Press TV 25 Mar 2013 -- A prominent German magazine says the Australian-Israeli Mossad agent called Prisoner X had leaked confidential information to Lebanese resistance group Hezbollah before his death.
- Briefing: Devolution to transform Kenya IRIN 25 Mar 2013 -- Whatever the outcome of Kenya's disputed presidential race, this month's elections have delivered a mighty boost to the process of decentralizing power from Nairobi, one designed to improve local governance and to reduce marginalization and the risk of conflict between communities.
- Georgian Lawmakers Strip Saakashvili of Vital Powers RIA Novosti 25 Mar 2013 -- Lawmakers in Georgia approved changes to the Constitution on Monday that will reduce President Mikheil Saakashvili's authority and tip the balance of power to the prime minister.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|