24 March 2013 Military News
- Hagel Welcomes Karzai's Commitment in Detention Facility Pact AFPS 24 Mar 2013 -- Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel called Afghan President Hamid Karzai yesterday after an agreement was reached to transfer control of the Parwan detention facility to the Afghan government tomorrow, Pentagon Press Secretary George Little reported.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Officials Sign Plan to Counter North Korean Threats AFPS 24 Mar 2013 -- The chairman of the South Korean military's Joint Chiefs of Staff and the U.S. Army general who leads the Republic of Korea-United States Combined Forces Command have signed a combined plan to counter future threats from North Korea.
- Chinese Leader Vows Stronger Military Ties With Russia RIA Novosti 24 Mar 2013 -- Newly-elected Chinese President Xi Jinping has affirmed that China and Russia will continue to strengthen and develop their military, political and strategic relations, including cooperation between their armed forces.
- Iran Navy to boost presence in international waters: Iran MP Iran Press TV 24 Mar 2013 -- An Iranian legislator has praised the high capabilities of the Iranian naval forces, saying that the Islamic Republic's Navy plans to enhance its presence in the international waters.
- Israeli forces fire rockets at Syrian army near Golan Heights Iran Press TV 24 Mar 2013 -- Israeli forces have fire rockets at the Syrian army across from the occupied Golan Heights, an Israeli military official says.
- Israeli Army Opens Fire at Syrian Military Post RIA Novosti 24 Mar 2013 -- The Israeli army opened fire at a Syrian military post in retaliation to a fire attack on its patrols in the Golan Heights, an army spokesman said on Sunday.
- Syria opposition coalition chief Moaz al-Khatib resigns Iran Press TV 24 Mar 2013 -- The leader of Syria's opposition National Coalition Ahmed Moaz al-Khatib has resigned from his post in protest against the institutional limitations of the foreign-backed body.
- Syrian Opposition in Turmoil as Khatib Quits, Hitto Rejected VOA 24 Mar 2013 -- Syria's opposition movement was in disarray Sunday, as the head of the main exiled opposition group resigned, and rebels inside the country rejected the group's appointment of an interim prime minister.
- Kerry Presses Maliki to Block Iranian Shipments to Syria VOA 24 Mar 2013 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry made a surprise visit to Baghdad, where he pressed Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki to block Iran from using Iraq to resupply embattled Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
- Rebels in control of Central African Republic capital, Bangui Iran Press TV 24 Mar 2013 -- Rebels in the Central African Republic say they have taken control of the capital city of Bangui after heavy fighting.
- France sends 350 troops to Central African Republic Iran Press TV 24 Mar 2013 -- France has sent some 350 troops to the Central African Republic to counter the Seleka fighters, who have allegedly taken control of the capital city of Bangui.
- Fierce Fighting Continues in Central African Republic's Capital RIA Novosti 24 Mar 2013 -- Fierce fighting continued in Central African Republic's capital Bangui on Sunday where rebels were seeking to topple President Francois Bozize, Paris-based news channel France 24 reported.
- CAR President Flees Capital as Rebels Take Bangui VOA 24 Mar 2013 -- Rebels in Central African Republic have seized control of the capital, Bangui, forcing President Francois Bozize to flee Bangui.
- DRC Urges Civilian Protection in Neighboring CAR VOA 24 Mar 2013 -- The Democratic Republic of the Congo's government has called for the protection of unarmed civilians and property in the neighboring Central African Republic, after the Seleka rebel group seized control of the capital, Bangui, forcing President Francois Bozize to flee.
- Iran rejects Saudi Arabia's espionage allegations Iran Press TV 24 Mar 2013 -- Iran's Foreign Ministry Spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast has dismissed Saudi Arabia's claims about the presence of an Iranian national in an alleged spy network in the country.
- Iranians skeptical about US calls for direct talks: MP Iran Press TV 24 Mar 2013 -- An Iranian lawmaker says the country remains skeptical about the US intentions and cannot trust Washington's calls for direct negotiations.
- Ex-President Pervez Musharraf returns to Pakistan despite threats Iran Press TV 24 Mar 2013 -- Former Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf has returned home after four years of self-exile despite threats by pro-Taliban militants to kill him upon his arrival.
- Musharraf Returns to Pakistan After Four-Year Exile VOA 24 Mar 2013 -- Pakistan's former military president Pervez Musharraf has returned home after four years of self-imposed exile. He is now running in upcoming parliamentary elections, despite death threats from Taliban extremists and pending legal challenges.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|