23 March 2013 Military News
- Readout of Secretary Hagel's Call with President Karzai DoD 23 Mar 2013
- Washington, Kabul reach agreement on Bagram: Pentagon Iran Press TV 23 Mar 2013 -- The United States says it has reached an agreement with Afghanistan over the handover of the notorious Bagram prison to the Afghan government.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Congress reviews reserve forces equipment needs AFNS 23 Mar 2013 -- Lt. Gen. James F. Jackson, chief of Air Force Reserve, joined other Reserve and National Guard senior leaders on Capitol Hill March 19 to testify and answer questions.
- Rentz, Jefferson City Deployments Cancelled; Thach to Return Home Early NNS 23 Mar 2013 -- U.S. Pacific Fleet formally notified several Navy commands March that the Secretary of Defense approved cancellations of their upcoming deployments.
- Syrians hold funeral for top Sunni cleric killed in Damascus attack Iran Press TV 23 Mar 2013 -- Syrians have held a funeral procession for the prominent Sunni cleric Sheikh Mohammad Said Ramadan al-Bouti who was killed in the recent terrorist attack on a mosque in Damascus.
- Funeral Held for Top Syrian Cleric VOA 23 Mar 2013 -- A large crowd of Syrians turned out amid tight security Saturday for the funeral of slain Sunni cleric Mohammed al-Bouti, who died in what Syrian authorities say was a suicide-bombing in Damascus Thursday night.
- PKK announces formal ceasefire with Ankara Iran Press TV 23 Mar 2013 -- The Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) has announced a formal ceasefire with the Turkish government after the PKK's jailed leader Abdullah Ocalan this week ordered to halt the 28-year armed struggle against Ankara.
- Central African Republic Rebels Move Into Capital VOA 23 Mar 2013 -- Central African Republic rebels pushed into the capital of Bangui on Saturday, ignoring a call by the country's prime minister for talks to avoid a bloodbath.
- Belgian MP involved in assassination plot against Kabila: Congo Iran Press TV 23 Mar 2013 -- The Democratic Republic of Congo has foiled an assassination plot involving a Belgian lawmaker against President Joseph Kabila, the government says.
- Pakistani Taliban Threatens Musharraf With Death VOA 23 Mar 2013 -- The Pakistani Taliban says it will try to kill former president Pervez Musharraf when he returns to the country to take part in upcoming parliamentary elections.
- Exiled Russian Tycoon Boris Berezovsky Dead RFE/RL 23 Mar 2013 -- Boris Berezovsky, the exiled Russian tycoon and long-time Kremlin critic, has died in Britain at the age of 67.
- Obituary: From Kremlin Insider To Exiled Putin Foe, Boris Berezovsky Dead at 67 RFE/RL 23 Mar 2013 -- Exiled Russian oligarch Boris Berezovsky - a onetime Kremlin insider who became one of President Vladimir Putin's fiercest critics - has died at the age of 67.
- Controversial Russian Tycoon Berezovsky Dead at 67 RIA Novosti 23 Mar 2013 -- Self-exiled Russian businessman and Kremlin critic Boris Berezovsky has died in his Surrey home at the age of 67, his son-in-law, Yegor Shuppe, said on his Facebook page Saturday.
- France Confirms Death of al-Qaida Commander Abou Zeid VOA 23 Mar 2013 -- France says it can confirm with certainty that Abdelhamid Abou Zeid, a top commander in al-Qaida's North African branch, was killed in Mali last month.
- Russia Extends Space Cooperation With US RIA Novosti 23 Mar 2013 -- Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev signed a decree set to extend the U.S.-Russia agreement on cooperation in the use and exploration of outer space till 2020, the government reported on Saturday.
- Dragon Return from Space Station Postponed – NASA RIA Novosti 23 Mar 2013 -- The return of the US Dragon space freighter from the International Space Station (ISS) to Earth has been postponed by one day due to poor weather conditions, NASA reported Friday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|