22 March 2013 Military News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 22 Mar 2013 [PDF]
- Stennis Strike Group Concludes Support to OEF NNS 22 Mar 2013 -- The John C. Stennis Carrier Strike Group (JCSCSG) concluded its support of Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF), March 22, after providing nearly four months of air and tactical support to allied troops on the ground in Afghanistan.
- Combined Operation Yields Arrests in Wardak Province AFPS 22 Mar 2013 -- A combined Afghan and coalition security force arrested a senior Taliban leader and two high-profile attack facilitators and detained two other insurgents in the Jalrayz district of Afghanistan's Wardak province, military officials reported.
- Austin: Afghanistan, Engagement Remain Centcom Priorities AFPS 22 Mar 2013 -- The war in Afghanistan and maintaining contacts throughout the U.S. Central Command area of responsibility will be Centcom's continuing mission, Army Gen. Lloyd J. Austin III said here after taking the command's reins.
- Insecurity Springs From Afghan Dam Projects RFE/RL 22 Mar 2013 -- As international forces leave Afghanistan, a flood of disputes over water resources threatens to be the main source of regional conflict.
- US spy aircraft kills 4 in Pakistan IRNA 22 Mar 2013 -- An American spy aircraft killed at least four people in Pakistani's North Waziristan tribal region early Friday and killed at least four people, official sources said.
- US sets up new drone base in Niger Iran Press TV 22 Mar 2013 -- The United States has set up a drone base in Niger apparently to back up French troops in Mali and to fight al-Qaeda in Africa, a report says.
Defense Policy / Programs
- DOD Releases Strategy for Homeland Defense and Defense Support for Civil Authorities DoD 22 Mar 2013 -- The Department of Defense announced today the release of the Strategy for Homeland Defense and Defense Support of Civil Authorities. This policy establishes DoD's priorities in the areas of homeland defense and defense support of civil authorities through 2020, consistent with the president's National Security Strategy and the 2012 Defense Strategic Guidance.
- Statement on Futenma Replacement Facility Landfill Permit Request DoD 22 Mar 2013
- U.S., Japan Move Forward With Futenma Replacement Initiative AFPS 22 Mar 2013 -- Japan's government has moved forward with the submission of a landfill request permit to the Okinawa prefectural government in the relocation of Marine Corps Air Station Futenma, Pentagon Press Secretary George Little said.
- Army entering period of innovation, critical investments Army News 22 Mar 2013 -- The Army learned the art of adaptation throughout the last 12 years of war, but is now moving into a period of innovation that will require critical investments for the force of the future.
- Army tests new parachutes with latest body armor Army News 22 Mar 2013 -- The Army is one step closer to marrying body armor and parachutes thanks to recent test jumps with a select few paratroopers here.
- Carter: Asian Defense Leaders Will Feel U.S. Rebalance to Region AFPS 22 Mar 2013 -- Asian defense leaders are eager for U.S. presence and involvement in the region and will "very palpably" feel the U.S. rebalance to the Asia-Pacific region, Deputy Defense Secretary Ash Carter said yesterday after a week of meetings there.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Hagel's Call with Polish Minister of Defense Tomasz Siemoniak DoD 22 Mar 2013
- General Officer Announcements DoD 22 Mar 2013
- Army Releases February 2013 Suicide Information DoD 22 Mar 2013
- Remarks at Central Command Change-of-Command Ceremony at MacDill Air Force Base, Tampa, Florida DoD 22 Mar 2013 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Martin E. Dempsey
- Prepositioning equipment, supplies enable Marines to be America's expeditionary force in readiness USMC News 22 Mar 2013 -- The U.S. Marine Corps and Navy demonstrated their capability of generating and sustaining combat power ashore during annual training exercise Freedom Banner 2013 with the Maritime Prepositioning Force offload in Subic Bay, March 21-22.
- Kauffman, Comfort and Grasp Deployments Cancelled NNS 22 Mar 2013 -- U.S. Fleet Forces formally notified several Navy commands that the Secretary of Defense approved cancellations of their upcoming deployments.
- PCU Arlington Arrives in Norfolk Homeport NNS 22 Mar 2013 -- Precommissioning Unit Arlington (LPD 24) arrived in her Norfolk homeport March 22, in advance of an April 6, commissioning.
- Seabees Work to Improve Maritime Response With Partners in Guatemala NNS 22 Mar 2013 -- Construction Battalion Maintenance Unit 202 (CBMU 202) deployed to Guatemala today in support of Southern Partnership Station 2013 (SPS), a 4th Fleet mission to strengthen regional civil and maritime capabilities, supporting a Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) initiative to improve maritime response.
- USS Klakring Decommissioned at Naval Station Mayport NNS 22 Mar 2013 -- After nearly 30 years of Naval service, friends, family and service members gathered at Naval Station Mayport to bid farewell to the Oliver Perry class Frigate USS Klakring (FFG 42) March 22nd, during a decommissioning ceremony at Naval Station Mayport.
- DESRON 15, ROK Navy Conclude Foal Eagle 2013 NNS 22 Mar 2013 -- U.S. forward-deployed naval ships from Destroyer Squadron (DESRON) 15 and Republic of Korea (ROK) navy forces concluded their participation in exercise Foal Eagle 2013 (FE 13), March 21.
- MLP 1 Successfully Completes Builder's Sea Trials NNS 22 Mar 2013 -- The Navy's first Mobile Landing Platform, USNS Montford Point (MLP 1), successfully completed builder's sea trials March 20, in San Diego.
- Frank Cable Visits the Republic of the Philippines NNS 22 Mar 2013 -- The submarine tender USS Frank Cable (AS 40) arrived in the Republic of the Philippines for a scheduled port visit March 22.
- USS Farragut Receives Battle 'E' NNS 22 Mar 2013 -- USS Farragut (DDG 99) Sailors painted four 'E's on the ship's bridge while moored in Funchal, Portugal, March 20, in recognition of the command recently being awarded the Battle 'E' for 2012.
- Quantico Shooting Incident Leaves 3 Marines Dead AFPS 22 Mar 2013 -- Three active-duty Marines are dead after a shooting incident that began late last night at Marine Corps Base Quantico, Va.
- B-52 gets new sniper pod AFNS 22 Mar 2013 -- The 2nd Bomb Wing made its first live run with a new addition to the aging bomber.
- Budget Concerns Take Center Stage at Beaufort Town Hall AFPS 22 Mar 2013 -- The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff gave Marines and their families the long view of defense budgets during a town-hall meeting here yesterday.
- Marine General Bids Farewell to Centcom Family AFPS 22 Mar 2013 -- The outgoing commander of U.S. Central Command bid farewell to his team during a ceremony in Tampa, Fla., as he prepares to retire after more than 40 years of service.
- Austin Takes Central Command Flag from Mattis AFPS 22 Mar 2013 -- Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel presided over the change of command of U.S. Central Command from Marine Corps Gen. James N. Mattis to Army Gen. Lloyd J. Austin III here.
- Marine Corps' first operational F-35B conducts initial Vertical Landing USMC News 22 Mar 2013 -- Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 121 watched in amazement and satisfaction as the Corps' first operational F-35B Lightning II squadron conducted its first Short Take Off, Vertical Landing operations aboard Marine Corps Air Station Yuma, Ariz. March 21, 2013.
- Shared Data Warehouse helps head off parts shortages USMC News 22 Mar 2013 -- Loss of manufacturer or supplier's items or raw materials is nothing new. The military services and private industry have worked together on this problem for decades, dating from ballistic missile systems development in the 1950s. Potential shortages take on greater importance with today's ever tighter defense budgets and greater emphasis on affordability and efficiency.
- 45th Space Wing launches second SBIRS GEO satellite AFNS 22 Mar 2013 -- The 45th Space Wing successfully launched a United Launch Alliance Atlas V rocket carrying the second Space Based Infrared System (SBIRS) GEO-2 satellite into orbit from Space Complex 41 here March 19.
- HMS Duncan enters Royal Navy service UK MOD 22 Mar 2013 -- HMS Duncan, the 6th and final of the UK's advanced Type 45 destroyers, has been handed over to the Royal Navy by shipbuilder BAE Systems.
- Russia's Baltic Fleet Gets 2 New Tugboats RIA Novosti 22 Mar 2013 -- Russia's Baltic Fleet on Friday put into service two new tugboats, the fleet's press service said.
- Second Borey-Class Sub to Join Russian Navy by Yearend RIA Novosti 22 Mar 2013 -- A second Project 955 Borey-class nuclear-powered strategic submarine will be handed over to the Russian Navy by the end of the year, a Navy official told RIA Novosti on Friday.
- Estonian Army Ruled by Knights Templar – Paper RIA Novosti 22 Mar 2013 -- Several high-ranking military officers in the Baltic nation of Estonia have been exposed as members of a Knights Templar-style order.
- March 22, 2013 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 22 Mar 2013
- Press Briefing by Senior Administration Officials The White House 22 Mar 2013
- 22 March 2013 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 22 Mar 2013
- UN chief and Security Council strongly condemn terrorist attack on Damascus mosque UN News Centre 22 Mar 2013 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and the United Nations Security Council have strongly condemned yesterday's terrorist attack on the Iman mosque in Damascus, Syria, that left over 40 people dead, including a senior Muslim cleric, and dozens injured.
- Syrian army storms militant positions, kill scores of terrorists Iran Press TV 22 Mar 2013 -- The Syrian army has stormed militant positions in several parts of the country, killing and injuring scores of terrorists fighting against the Damascus government.
- Damascus Mosque Blast Kills 42, Including Senior Cleric - Report RIA Novosti 22 Mar 2013 -- At least 42 people were killed, including a pro-government senior Muslim cleric, and over 80 were wounded in an explosion at the Iman Mosque in downtown Damascus on Thursday, Syria's state news agency SANA reported.
- Syria's Assad Vows to 'Purge Extremists' VOA 22 Mar 2013 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad vowed Friday to purge his country of extremists he blames for a suicide bombing that killed at least 49 people at an ancient Damascus mosque.
- Congolese warlord Bosco Ntaganda now in custody of International Criminal Court UN News Centre 22 Mar 2013 -- The Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court (ICC) has welcomed the news of the transfer of Congolese warlord Bosco Ntaganda to The Hague, where he faces charges for a range of alleged war crimes, including rape, murder and the recruitment of children.
- Congolese Warlord In Custody at The Hague VOA 22 Mar 2013 -- The International Criminal Court (ICC) has taken Congolese war crimes suspect Bosco Ntaganda into custody, four days after he turned himself in at the U.S. embassy in Rwanda.
- UN envoy says Sudan and South Sudan withdrawing troops from demilitarized zone UN News Centre 22 Mar 2013 -- The Governments of Sudan and South Sudan have begun withdrawing their troops from a safe demilitarized border zone, a United Nations envoy said today, as he briefed Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on the latest agreements between the two neighbours.
- Central African Republic: Ban, Security Council urge parties to immediately halt fighting UN News Centre 22 Mar 2013 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and members of the Security Council, expressing strong concern over reports of armed groups advancing toward Bangui, capital of the Central African Republic (CAR), today urged all parties in the troubled country to immediately cease hostilities.
- Ongoing tensions must not be allowed to derail Serbia-Kosovo talks, says UN envoy UN News Centre 22 Mar 2013 -- A senior United Nations envoy warned today that ongoing tensions and incidents on the ground must not be allowed to jeopardize the political talks between Serbia and Kosovo which have resulted in important positive developments and must be permitted to achieve their potential.
- Displacement tops 1,000 in Meiktila IRIN 22 Mar 2013 -- More than 1,000 people have been displaced following sectarian violence in central Myanmar this week, government officials tell IRIN.
- Myanmar: UN envoy voices sadness at loss of lives in latest violence UN News Centre 22 Mar 2013 -- The United Nations special envoy for Myanmar has voiced deep sorrow at the tragic loss of lives and destruction in Meiktila township in Mandalay division, one of several areas that has been the scene of recent violence, and called on all segments of society to promote communal harmony.
- UN refugee agency condemns attack on displaced persons camp in northern Pakistan UN News Centre 22 Mar 2013 -- The United Nations refuge agency today urged the Government of Pakistan to improve security around the country's largest camp for internally displaced people after a deadly bomb attack left at least 10 people dead, including an aid worker, and led UN agencies to temporarily suspend humanitarian services in the camp.
- Israel, Turkey Agree To Restore Ties RFE/RL 22 Mar 2013 -- Israel and Turkey have agreed to mend their badly damaged ties.
- Ban welcomes return of normal relations between Israel and Turkey UN News Centre 22 Mar 2013 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today welcomed the restoration of normal relations between Israel and Turkey, following the May 2010 incident in which nine sea-bound protesters were killed as they sought to breach Israel's Gaza blockade to deliver humanitarian aid.
- Obama in Jordan After Israel Visit VOA 22 Mar 2013 -- U.S. President Barack Obama arrived in Jordan Friday following a visit to Israel and the West Bank that included talks with Israeli and Palestinian leaders and calls for the two sides to resume peace efforts.
- Russia' Putin Meets With New Chinese Leader RFE/RL 22 Mar 2013 -- Russian President Vladimir has held his first meeting with new Chinese President Xi Jinping, who is in Moscow on an official visit.
- Putin, Chinese President Hold Kremlin Meeting VOA 22 Mar 2013 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has met with China's new President Xi Jinping, who arrived in Moscow Friday on his first foreign trip since taking the official title last week.
- South Korea: China May Not Have Initiated Cyberattack RFE/RL 22 Mar 2013 -- South Korea's communications regulator says the cyberattack that paralyzed South Korean computer networks earlier this week might not have originated in China as originally believed.
- Following resignation of Lebanese Prime Minister, Ban calls for unity UN News Centre 22 Mar 2013 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today called on all parties in Lebanon to remain united to maintain calm and stability in the country following the resignation of Prime Minister Najib Mikati.
- Enemies unable to isolate Iran by sanctions, propaganda: Official Iran Press TV 22 Mar 2013 -- Iran Foreign Ministry spokesman says the Islamic Republic has managed to foil the enemies' sanctions and their attempts to isolate the Islamic Republic.
- Khamenei Leaves Door Open To Direct Nuclear Talks With U.S. RFE/RL 22 Mar 2013 -- Iran's supreme leader, who's known for his staunch opposition to talks with the United States on Iran's nuclear program, said in a speech to mark the Persian New Year on March 21 that he's not opposed to direct talks with Washington.
- US Secret Service Fired Gun Near Iranian Leader in '06—Book RIA Novosti 22 Mar 2013 -- A US Secret Service agent accidentally fired a shotgun near Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's motorcade during his 2006 visit to Manhattan for the United Nations General Assembly, jolting White House officials who learned of the incident in an intelligence briefing, according to a new book.
- UN Human Rights Council's 'Resolution on Human Rights' against DPRK Rejected by DPRK FM Spokesman KCNA 22 Mar 2013 -- A spokesman for the DPRK Foreign Ministry Friday gave the following answer to a question put by KCNA as regards the very provocative 'resolution' against the DPRK adopted at a session of the UN Human Rights Council:
- Top UN human rights official welcomes inquiry into abuses in DPR Korea UN News Centre 22 Mar 2013 -- A senior United Nations official has welcomed the establishment by the Human Rights Council of a commission of inquiry into alleged abuses in the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), one of several decisions taken by the 47-member body as it wrapped up its current session.
- Chinese NASA Worker in US Court Over Computer Cache RIA Novosti 22 Mar 2013 -- A former Chinese contractor with the NASA appeared in US federal court Thursday, his lawyer said, after he was arrested following an attempt to fly back to China carrying laptops, hard drives and SIM cards in his bags.
- Returning from Balkans, UN official urges greater efforts in countering illicit drugs UN News Centre 22 Mar 2013 -- The head of the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) today underscored the need to ramp up efforts in combating drug demand, supply and trafficking, while urging Member States to intensify prevention strategies, particularly in the Balkans, where the main European trafficking routes for illicit drugs continue to operate.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|