02 March 2013 Military News
- New flight system deploys with 2-3 Aviation Army News 02 Mar 2013 -- A team from Foxtrot Company, 2nd Battalion, 3rd Aviation Regiment, Task Force Viper, keeps the air traffic running 24 hours a day with a little help from the latest equipment on the battlefield.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Chairman Commits to 'Lead Through' Budget Crisis AFPS 02 Mar 2013 -- In a video message to service members yesterday, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff committed to leading through the effects of sequestration and encouraged dialogue about its impact.
- Navy Announces Response to Sequestration NNS 02 Mar 2013 -- Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus announced March 2 that the Navy will go ahead with reductions in spending in order to meet the fiscal constraints imposed by sequestration.
- Commander, Helicopter Sea Combat Wing Pacific Holds Change of Command NNS 02 Mar 2013 -- Commander, Helicopter Sea Combat Wing Pacific (HSCWP) held a Change of Command Ceremony at Naval Air Station North Island (NASNI) on Feb. 28.
- USNS Montford Point christened in San Diego NNS 02 Mar 2013 -- The Navy's first mobile landing platform ship, USNS Montford Point (T-MLP 1), was christened at the General Dynamics NASSCO shipyard in San Diego, March 2.
- Key Resolve and Foal Eagle Assailed KCNA 02 Mar 2013 -- With neither rhetoric nor jugglery can the U.S. and south Korean forces cover up the aggressive and provocative nature of joint military exercises Key Resolve and Foal Eagle, says Rodong Sinmun.
- U.S. Navy Hosts Mine Warfare Staff Talks with Japanese Navy NNS 02 Mar 2013 -- Commander, Amphibious Force Seventh Fleet, Commander, Mine Countermeasures Squadron Seven (MCMRON 7), and Japanese Maritime Self Defense Force Commander (JMSDF), Mine Warfare Force and subordinate commands concluded a three day mine warfare staff conference March 1 at CTF 76 headquarters, Okinawa, Japan.
- USS Hawaii Holds Change of Command NNS 02 Mar 2013 -- The warrior spear was passed to a new commanding officer at a change of command ceremony for the Virginia-class submarine USS Hawaii (SSN 776) at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Mar. 1.
- Reserve activates cyberspace operations group AFNS 02 Mar 2013 -- Air Force Reserve Command activated the first cyberspace operations group in the Air Force March 1.
- Russia to buy no more foreign drones Voice of Russia 02 Mar 2013 -- Russia will buy no more foreign-made drones. According to the Director of the Federal Service for Military-Technological Cooperation, Alexander Fomin, Russia has launched the production of its own drones.
- Brazil aims to build first N-powered sub Iran Press TV 02 Mar 2013 -- Brazil has opened a naval shipyard installation as the South American country aims to build its first nuclear-powered submarine in partnership with France.
- UK Defense Sec: cut welfare not defense Iran Press TV 02 Mar 2013 -- British Defense Secretary Philip Hammond has controversially called for cuts into welfare to protect the armed forces from further savings.
- Syria militants say 'desperate' for arms Iran Press TV 02 Mar 2013 -- The head of the Syria militants says his forces are in 'desperate' need of weapons and ammunition rather than the "non-lethal support" the US has pledged to give.
- Syria Army captures key road to Aleppo airport: Report Iran Press TV 02 Mar 2013 -- The Syrian army has taken back control of a key road linking the central province of Hama to Aleppo International Airport from foreign-backed militants, army officials say.
- United Nations ready to host Syria government-opposition talks Iran Press TV 02 Mar 2013 -- The United Nations has offered to broker peace talks between the Syrian government and armed opposition to end the violence that has ravaged the country.
- Syria foreign minister accuses US of double-standard policy Iran Press TV 02 Mar 2013 -- Syrian Foreign Minister Walid al-Muallem has condemned Washington's double-standard policy towards the ongoing crisis in Syria, saying the US can stop bloodshed in the Arab country.
- UN Chief Expresses 'Deep Frustration' Over Syrian Crisis RIA Novosti 02 Mar 2013 -- UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and international peace envoy Lakhdar Brahimi have expressed "deep frustration" over the ongoing conflict in Syria and urged the international community to step up collective effort to end the crisis.
- Russian Arms Trade Czar Says 'War' Declared on Weapon Supplies to Syria RIA Novosti 02 Mar 2013 -- Russia is facing a 'real war' aimed at hampering the country's legal deliveries of weapons to Syria, the head of the Federal Service for Military and Technical Cooperation has said.
- Ban, UN-Arab League envoy meet to discuss efforts to end Syrian crisis UN News Centre 02 Mar 2013 -- The international community must act with unity to achieve a political solution and end the suffering in Syria, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and the Joint Special Representative of the world organization and the League of Arab States, Lakhdar Brahimi, stressed today during a meeting in Mt. Pelerin, Switzerland.
- Rights Group: Cluster Bomb Attack in Syria Kills 19 VOA 02 Mar 2013 -- A human rights group says 19 people were killed when Syrian warplanes dropped cluster bombs, which are banned under a U.N. treaty. Amnesty International said Saturday the attack Friday in the northern town of Aleppo wounded more than 60 people.
- Chavez Continues Fight for Life – Vice President RIA Novosti 02 Mar 2013 -- Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez is has been undergoing chemotherapy treatment and is continuing "his battle for life,' the country's vice president has said.
- Two Dead in Bangladesh War Crimes Protest VOA 02 Mar 2013 -- Police in southern Bangladesh clashed with Islamists protesting the death sentence given to a senior Islamist opposition leader, leaving at least two people dead Saturday in Chittagong.
- Kerry Meets with Egyptian Officials, Opposition VOA 02 Mar 2013 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry met with Egyptian government officials and some opposition politicians Saturday on his first visit to Cairo as the top U.S. diplomat. The visit to Egypt came during political turmoil in the run-up to controversial parliamentary elections, scheduled to begin in April.
- Pakistan's Musharraf says will return country this month IRNA 02 Mar 2013 -- The self-exiled former Pakistani President General Pervez Musharraf announced that he would return to the country later this month to take part in parliamentary elections.
- Argentina lawmakers pass AMIA deal with Iran Iran Press TV 02 Mar 2013 -- Argentinean lawmakers have passed a deal struck with Iran to set up a "fact-finding commission" to investigate the deadly 1994 bombing of AMIA Jewish center, Press TV reports.
- Temporary Cover to be Built over Collapsed Chernobyl Roof RIA Novosti 02 Mar 2013 -- A temporary cover will be built above the collapsed section of Chernobyl's nuclear power plant, the chief engineer said late on Friday.
- SpaceX Fixes Dragon Spacecraft Thrusters RIA Novosti 02 Mar 2013 -- Specialists of a private US company, SpaceX, have started all thrusters of its Dragon capsule launched on Friday, SpaceX founder and CEO Elon Musk said on Saturday, Moscow time.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|