22 February 2013 Military News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 22 Feb 2013 [PDF]
- Africa Command Deploys 100 Service Members to Niger AFPS 22 Feb 2013 -- President Barack Obama notified congressional leaders today that the last of 100 U.S. military specialists have deployed to Niger to support intelligence efforts in the region.
- Letter from the President - Concerning Niger The White House 22 Feb 2013 -- On February 20, 2013, the last elements of a deployment of approximately 40 additional U.S. military personnel entered Niger with the consent of the Government of Niger. This deployment will provide support for intelligence collection and will also facilitate intelligence sharing with French forces conducting operations in Mali, and with other partners in the region.
- Obama Sends Troops, Drones to Niger to Spy on Islamists RIA Novosti 22 Feb 2013 -- President Barack Obama announced Friday that around 100 US troops have been deployed in the West African nation of Niger in what officials said was the establishment of a new drone base there to spy on Islamist fighters in the Sahara and support French forces in the region.
Defense Policy / Programs
- F-35 Cautionary Suspension of Flight Operations: F135 Engine Crack DoD 22 Feb 2013 -- A routine engine inspection revealed a crack on an engine blade of the F135 engine installed in F-35A aircraft AF-2 operating at Edwards Air Force Base, Calif.
- F-35s Grounded as Precaution After Crack Found in Engine Blade AFPS 22 Feb 2013 -- All F-35s have been grounded as a precaution after a routine engine inspection revealed a crack on an engine blade, Defense Department officials said here today.
- SecAF discusses sequestration impacts at AFA AFNS 22 Feb 2013 -- Secretary of the Air Force Michael Donley addressed more than 500 men and women on the final day of the Air Force Association's 29th Air Warfare Symposium & Technology Exposition Feb. 22 here.
- Army Releases January 2013 Suicide Information DoD 22 Feb 2013 -- The Army released suicide data today for the month of January 2013. During January, among active-duty soldiers, there were 19 potential suicides: two have been confirmed as suicides and 17 remain under investigation.
- Press Conference with Secretary Panetta at NATO Headquarters, Brussels, Belgium DoD 22 Feb 2013 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Leon E. Panetta
- Marine Corps Forces, Europe, focuses on basics during 9th rotation of Georgia Deployment Program USMC News 22 Feb 2013 -- Since 2009, the Marine Corps has partnered with the Georgian Armed Forces to build a strong partnership; able to withstand the stresses of combat and enhance the relationship between the U.S. and the Republic of Georgia, both personally and professionally.
- Supporting Arms Coordination Exercise is final step in MEU's readiness training USMC News 22 Feb 2013 -- USS KEARSARGE, At Sea - The Supporting Arms Coordination Exercise was the culminating event of the Composite Training Unit Exercise, marking the end of the pre-deployment training program for the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit. The exercise provided supporting fire for a simulated amphibious assault on a target in Camp Lejeune, N.C., Feb. 16, 2013.
- Goodbye CH-46 USMC News 22 Feb 2013 -- As time goes by, rules, ideas and even traditions are subject to change at any given moment. The Marine Corps, over the years, has gone through many changes to either enhance fighting capabilities or to evolve as a rapid reaction military force.
- First Littoral Combat Ship to Deploy in March NNS 22 Feb 2013 -- During a media availability Feb. 21, Navy officials announced the littoral combat ship USS Freedom (LCS 1) is on track to begin its first deployment March 1.
- USS Boise Holds Change of Command Ceremony NNS 22 Feb 2013 -- Los Angeles-class attack submarine USS Boise (SSN 764) held a change of command ceremony, aboard Naval Station Norfolk, Feb. 22.
- AF releases criteria for new combat medal AFNS 22 Feb 2013 -- Air Force officials released nomination criteria for the new Distinguished Warfare Medal Feb. 15, following defense officials' announcement of the new decoration days prior.
- DOD Expands Role of Security Professionals AFPS 22 Feb 2013 -- With ever-changing technology and increasing cyber threats that can affect the nation's security, Defense Department officials are stepping up security professionals' training to help in determining potential risks before they occur, defense officials said here.
- Cyber Security Expert Discusses U.S. Vulnerabilities at Naval Academy NNS 22 Feb 2013 -- A cyber expert addressed the Naval Academy Feb. 19 to address how computers are playing a major role in nearly every aspect of our lives.
- Joint Statement of The Korea-U.S. Integrated Defense Dialogue DoD 22 Feb 2013
- Surprise Check Reveals 'Systemic Problems' in Russian Military RIA Novosti 22 Feb 2013 -- A series of random checks in the Russian Armed Forces this week revealed a number of systemic shortcomings, General Staff chief Valery Gerasimov said on Friday.
- Defense Ministry to Buy Tigr Armored Vehicles RIA Novosti 22 Feb 2013 -- The Russian Defense Ministry is interested in buying Russian-made Tigr (Tiger) armored vehicles, Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin said on Friday.
- Defence Ministers make progress on improving capabilities; take stock of ISAF mission NATO 22 Feb 2013 -- Defence Ministers took concrete steps to improve Allied capabilities and interoperability and assessed the progress made in Afghanistan during their two-day talks which wrapped up on Friday 22 February.
- Ministers reinforce cooperation in NATO-Ukraine Commission NATO 22 Feb 2013 -- NATO and Ukraine reinforced their cooperation at a meeting of defence ministers in the NATO-Ukraine Commission on Friday 22 February. "NATO and Ukraine are key security partners.
- NATO chief calls on members to stop military spending cuts Iran Press TV 22 Feb 2013 -- The NATO secretary general has called on the alliance members to stop cutting their military spending in the face of the economic crisis, warning that the measure could damage their military readiness and capabilities.
- Ukraine Joins NATO's Counter-Piracy Operation RIA Novosti 22 Feb 2013 -- NATO welcomed Ukraine's decision on Friday to join its counter-piracy operation Ocean Shield, while Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen said Ukraine's NATO membership was on track, but warned there was concern about Ukraine's use of 'selective justice.'
- February 22, 2013 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 22 Feb 2013
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Jay Carney and Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, 2/22/2013 The White House 22 Feb 2013
- DoD News: Contracts for February 22, 2013
- German arms exports to Persian Gulf states hit $1.88bn in 2012 Iran Press TV 22 Feb 2013 -- A report says that Germany's weapons exports to the Arab states of the Persian Gulf have reached 1.42 billion euros (USD 1.88 billion) in 2012.
- 22 February 2013 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 22 Feb 2013
- Syrian Opposition to Form Government in Rebel Areas VOA 22 Feb 2013 -- Syria's Opposition National Coalition has announced plans to form a provisional government in rebel-held areas of the country.
- Death Toll Rises in Damascus Blasts VOA 22 Feb 2013 -- A Syrian expatriate rights group says a series of bombings in Damascus has killed at least 83 people, including more than 60 near the headquarters of the nation's ruling Ba'ath party.
- UN Alarmed by Militias' Resurgence in DRC VOA 22 Feb 2013 -- The top United Nations official in the Democratic Republic of Congo warns that resurgent militia activity in some eastern parts of the country is threatening civilian populations.
- DR Congo: UN envoy warns security situation dire, urges additional resources UN News Centre 22 Feb 2013 -- Ahead of a new peace deal for the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) to be signed this weekend, the top United Nations official there warned today that the security situation is unstable, and urged the Security Council to provide the necessary support and authorization for an additional military brigade force within the current UN peacekeeping force.
- 5 Dead in Mali Suicide Bombing VOA 22 Feb 2013 -- At least five people have been killed in an apparent suicide car bombing in northern Mali. The dead include the two suspected suicide bombers.
- UN provides vital training in mine clearance to Malian security forces UN News Centre 22 Feb 2013 -- The United Nations is training and working with local Malian military and police to clear landmines and unexploded ordinance in the northern part of the country which pose dangers for local families and have already killed several troops.
- Timeline of Boko Haram and related violence in Nigeria IRIN 22 Feb 2013 -- Human rights organizations estimate some 3,000 Nigerians have been killed in violence related to militant Islamist group Boko Haram over the past three years. Numerous negotiation attempts have stalled due to distrust on both sides, and the factionalized leadership of the group's different cells.
- Security Council extends mandate of UN office in Guinea-Bissau for three months UN News Centre 22 Feb 2013 -- The Security Council today extended the United Nations office in Guinea-Bissau for three months, and requested Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon to provide recommendations on its future mandate and any possible readjustment in the world body's support to the West African nation.
- UN hopes China will exert influence on DPR Korea, says Deputy Secretary-General UN News Centre 22 Feb 2013 -- Deputy Secretary-General Jan Eliasson today said the United Nations hopes that China will exert its influence on the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) to de-escalate tensions after the recent nuclear test but was also aware of the limits of that influence.
- Iran ready for talks with US based on logic not pressure: Envoy IRNA 22 Feb 2013 -- Iran is ready for negotiations with the US based on a logical approach and not under pressure, Iran's Ambassador to the United Nations Mohammad Khazaei said on Friday.
- Iran committed to continue talks with IAEA: Envoy IRNA 22 Feb 2013 -- Iran is committed to continue talks with the International Atomic Energy Agency(IAEA) to resolve the remaining issues, Iran's Ambassador to the IAEA Ali Asghar Soltanieh said on Thursday.
- Iran committed to cooperation with IAEA: Iranian envoy Iran Press TV 22 Feb 2013 -- The Iranian ambassador to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has once again expressed Iran's commitment to resolving issues pertaining to its nuclear energy program with the UN agency.
- Enemies must stop threat, intimidation against Iran: IRGC cmdr. Iran Press TV 22 Feb 2013 -- The commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) has urged enemies to stop the policy of threat and intimidation against Iran and instead take up strategies commensurate with the power of the Islamic Republic.
- Iran endorses talks if not pressured, threatened: Khazaei Iran Press TV 22 Feb 2013 -- Iran's permanent envoy to the UN says Tehran would engage in direct talks with Washington based on mutual respect and not under pressure and threats from the US.
- New Pressure On Iran After UN Report RFE/RL 22 Feb 2013 -- Iran is facing renewed pressure from world powers after a new United Nations report said Iran has begun installing advanced centrifuges at its main uranium-enrichment plant.
- Pakistan army denies links with killers of Shia Muslims Iran Press TV 22 Feb 2013 -- Pakistan's army has denied any links to a terrorist group that claimed responsibility for a series of bomb attacks that have killed over 180 Shia Muslims in the country in the past few weeks.
- Pakistan nabs leader of Lashkar-e-Jhangvi militant group Iran Press TV 22 Feb 2013 -- Pakistan has arrested Lashkar-e-Jhangvi's leader Malik Ishaq following the militant group carried out two deadly bombings, mainly targeting Shia Muslims.
- India Placed on Heightened Security Alert VOA 22 Feb 2013 -- In India, the death toll in the twin blasts that devastated the southern city of Hyderabad has risen to 16, and more than 100 people have been wounded. The entire country has been placed on a heightened security alert, as questions have been raised about the government's failure to respond to warnings of a possible attack.
- Taiwan hopes to join planned U.S. cyber security exercises CNA 22 Feb 2013 -- Taiwan has stepped up cyber security cooperation with the United States and intends to take part in planned U.S. cyber security exercises, a senior Taiwanese official stationed in Washington, D.C. said Thursday.
- Progress Freighter Resets Space Station Orbit RIA Novosti 22 Feb 2013 -- The engines of a Russian Progress M-17M space freighter were fired on Friday to readjust the orbit of the International Space Station (ISS), a Russian space agency spokesman said on Friday.
- Police Carry Out Searches in Space Firm Fraud Case RIA Novosti 22 Feb 2013 -- Police have conducted searches as part of an investigation into alleged fraud at a satellite communications company, the Interior Ministry's Moscow branch said on Friday, but did not give further details.
- Looming food crisis in the Central African Republic IRIN 22 Feb 2013 -- Humanitarian agencies are warning of a looming food crisis in parts of the Central African Republic (CAR), a result of the insecurity that has displaced thousands of people and disrupted cultivation and trade.
- UN concerned about refugees crossing 'deadliest stretches of water' to flee homes UN News Centre 22 Feb 2013 -- The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is calling for urgent action to prevent the rising numbers of people killed trying to cross the Indian Ocean in smugglers' boats, particularly the increasing numbers of women and children from the stateless Rohingya community.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|