10 February 2013 Military News
- Allen Passes NATO Security Assistance Command to Dunford AFPS 10 Feb 2013 -- U.S. and NATO leaders today congratulated Marine Corps Gen. John R. Allen for a job well done as commander of the alliance's International Security Assistance Force and praised Marine Corps Gen. Joseph F. Dunford Jr. as the strategic leader needed for the next phase of the command.
- Allen 'Very Confident' About Afghanistan's Future AFPS 10 Feb 2013 -- There are measures of success every day in Afghanistan and the out-going commander of NATO's International Security Assistance Force is very confident of victory.
- Panetta Praises Outgoing, Incoming ISAF Commanders AFPS 10 Feb 2013 -- The following statement made by Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta was read at today's transfer of command ceremony in Kabul, Afghanistan:
- Message from Secretary of Defense Leon E. Panetta for the International Security Assistance Force DoD 10 Feb 2013
- DOD leaders see 401st retrograde operations Army News 10 Feb 2013 -- Frank Kendall, undersecretary of defense for acquisitions, technology and logistics, and Gary J. Motsek, deputy assistant secretary of defense (Program Support), visited 401st Army Field Support Brigade.
- TEDD handler, dog go on first mission together Army News 10 Feb 2013 -- Soldiers in the TEDD program arrived almost two months after the brigade was already in country and had to stay on Kandahar Airfield to acclimate their dogs.
Defense Policy / Programs
- USS Jacksonville Commanding Officer and Executive Officer Relieved of Duty NNS 10 Feb 2013 -- Commander Task Force 54 relieved the commanding officer and executive officer of the USS Jacksonville of their duties following Admiral's Mast held on Feb. 10 in Manama, Bahrain.
- Iran successfully tests new air-to-air missile IRNA 10 Feb 2013 -- Iran had tested its latest home-made air-to-air missile dubbed as Fakour 90 last week, Iranian Deputy Defense Minister and Head of Iran's Aerospace Organization General Mehdi Farahi said on Saturday night.
- UN Peace Envoy Discusses Syrian Opposition's Offer for Talks RIA Novosti 10 Feb 2013 -- The UN and Arab League's envoy for Syria, Lakhdar Brahimi, met with Syrian opposition chief Ahmed Moaz al-Khatib in Cairo on Sunday to discuss his offer to talk with the Syrian government, Al Mayadeen TV has reported.
- Malian Forces, Islamist Rebels Clash in Gao VOA 10 Feb 2013 -- A gunbattle between Malian soldiers and suspected Islamist fighters erupted in the center of Gao on Sunday, as militants defied a security lock-down by French and Malian troops following two suicide bomb attacks in two days.
- West should pull gun away as prelude to talks: President IRNA 10 Feb 2013 -- West should pull the gun away as an introduction to any kind of talks with Tehran, Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said.
- President: Nobody can impose its will on Iranian nation IRNA 10 Feb 2013 -- President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said on Sunday that even enemies admit that Iran is one of the most independent nations in the world and nobody can impose its will on the nation.
- Ahmadinejad Rejects Western Pressure VOA 10 Feb 2013 -- Iran's president says Tehran will not be pressured into negotiations about its disputed nuclear program.
- President: Iran launched living creature into space for first time IRNA 10 Feb 2013 -- President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said on Sunday that the Iranian experts sent a living creature to space for the first time and returned it safe and sound.
- Curiosity Rover Gets First Martian Bedrock Samples RIA Novosti 10 Feb 2013 -- NASA's Curiosity rover has become the first spacecraft ever to drill into a Martian rock and collect stone powder samples for further study, NASA said on its website on Saturday.
- Wounded Presidential Candidate Seeks Armenian Election Delay RFE/RL 10 Feb 2013 -- A candidate running in this month's Armenian presidential election who was the victim of an apparent assassination attempt has asked the country's Constitutional Court to postpone the vote for two weeks.
- Georgia's Saakashvili Invites Premier for Talks RIA Novosti 10 Feb 2013 -- Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili has called Prime Minister Bidzina Ivanishvili and his supporters for talks on Monday regarding "constitutional changes" amid the growing political crisis in the country.
- Tunisian President's Party to Quit Government VOA 10 Feb 2013 -- The secular party of Tunisian President Moncef Marzouki says it will withdraw from the country's Islamist-led coalition government in anger at its handling of the fallout from last week's assassination of opposition leader Chokri Belaid.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|