04 February 2013 Military News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 04 Feb 2013 [PDF]
- Afghan, Coalition Troops Arrest Taliban IED Facilitator AFPS 04 Feb 2013 -- A combined Afghan and coalition security force arrested a Taliban improvised explosive device facilitator in the Nad-e Ali district of Afghanistan's Helmand province today, military officials reported.
- Miniature surveillance helicopters help protect front line troops UK MOD 04 Feb 2013 -- British troops in Afghanistan are the first to use state-of-the-art handheld nano surveillance helicopters.
- Karzai, Zardari Pledge to Reach Peace Settlement VOA 04 Feb 2013 -- Afghan President Hamid Karzai and his Pakistani counterpart Asif Ali Zardari have pledged to reach a peace settlement for Afghanistan within six months.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Hearing for Accused USS Cole Bomber Continues, Despite Delays AFPS 04 Feb 2013 -- Pre-trial hearings for the alleged bomber of the USS Cole opened today at Naval Station Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and encountered issues from both the prosecution and defense that threatened more delays.
- Carter Visits Turkish Defense Leaders, U.S. Patriot Battery Troops AFPS 04 Feb 2013 -- On his first official visit to this prosperous capital as deputy defense secretary, Ashton B. Carter spent the day with Turkish defense leaders, then traveled southeast to Gaziantep near the Syrian border to examine the first of two U.S. Patriot missile batteries to be located there.
- AF implements voluntary FY13 force management programs AFNS 04 Feb 2013 -- The Air Force will implement several voluntary officer and enlisted force management programs for fiscal year 2013, Air Force Personnel Center officials announced today.
- Michigan base to test missile counter-measure prototype AFNS 04 Feb 2013 -- The Air National Guard has begun installing a new prototype missile counter-measure device on aircraft at Selfridge Air National Guard Base. If tests on the prototype conclude favorably, as expected, the device could mean safer travels for KC-135 Stratotanker aircraft and additional job security for maintenance personnel at the base.
- AF selects primary, alternate test pilot school candidates AFNS 04 Feb 2013 -- More than 50 Air Force officers have been selected as primary or alternate Air Force and Navy test pilot school selectees, and one will attend the Epner Test Pilot School in France, Air Force Personnel Center officials said today.
- DOD Leaders: Budget Deadlock Could Spark Readiness Crisis AFPS 04 Feb 2013 -- Issuing perhaps their strongest warnings yet, Pentagon leaders yesterday said the budget impasse threatens to create a military readiness crisis.
- USS Arlington Sweeps ATG's Antiterrorism Basic Phase Verification NNS 04 Feb 2013 -- Sailors assigned to the Pre-Commissioning Unit Arlington (LPD 24) successfully completed the four-day Afloat Training Group (ATG) Atlantic's Antiterrorism Basic Phase Verification 1.3 and 1.4 on Jan. 31.
- FAST members provide much needed security at remote airfields AFNS 04 Feb 2013 -- An aircraft commander has plenty to worry about while flying in potentially hostile environments: What are the landing conditions like? Is there security at the landing site? Are my crew and the aircraft safe? Do I have enough fuel? Do I have any mechanical issues?
- Senior Executive Service Announcement DoD 04 Feb 2013
- NMCB 3 Targets Confidence During Weapons Training NNS 04 Feb 2013 -- Seabees from Naval Mobile Construction Battalion 3 completed a vital step in deployment preparation, Jan. 30, after qualifying on five different combat weapons systems.
- SPAWAR Meets with Defense Industry Leaders at West 2013 NNS 04 Feb 2013 -- Space and Naval Warfare Systems Command (SPAWAR) presented a three-day speaker series alongside senior military leaders and defense industry experts at the 22nd annual Western Conference and Exposition (West 2013) Jan. 29-31 at the San Diego Convention Center.
- Groundbreaking Ceremony held for NSA Annapolis Commissary and Navy Exchange NNS 04 Feb 2013 -- Naval Support Activity (NSA) Annapolis held a groundbreaking ceremony to commence the expansion of its commissary and Navy Exchange (NEX), Feb. 1.
- Army partnership builds stronger security in Korea Army News 04 Feb 2013 -- Representatives from U.S. Army Garrison Yongsan, South Korea, met with the 218th Homeland Reserve Regiment of Republic of Korea Army, in order to ensure the safety and security of Yongsan Garrison, Jan. 31.
- Naval officer questioned in espionage probe CNA 04 Feb 2013 -- A rear admiral was questioned by military prosecutors last week in connection with an investigation into alleged leaks of submarine nautical charts to China, the Ministry of National Defense (MND) said Monday.
- Russian Inspectors to Make Surveillance Flight Over Greece RIA Novosti 04 Feb 2013 -- Russian military inspectors will begin on Monday a surveillance flight above Greece under the international Open Skies Treaty, a spokesman for the Russian Defense Ministry said.
- Russian Defense Chief Promises Soldiers Showers by Year End RIA Novosti 04 Feb 2013 -- Russian soldiers will be able to trade in weekly trips to bathhouses for regular showers by year's end, according to plans announced Monday by Russia's defense chief.
- Russia's New Stealth Corvette to Start Trials in March RIA Novosti 04 Feb 2013 -- The crew of new Russian stealth corvette the Boyky, the third Project 20380 (Steregushchy class) vessel, will begin state trials in March, Baltic Fleet spokesman Capt. 2nd Class Vladimir Matveyev said Monday.
- Iran unveils indigenously-optimized Zolfaqar, Samsam tanks Iran Press TV 04 Feb 2013 -- The Islamic Republic of Iran has unveiled the optimized versions of two indigenously-designed and -manufactured tanks, named Zolfaqar and Samsam.
- Iranian Zolfaqar tank rivals Russian T-72S: Iran cmdr. Iran Press TV 04 Feb 2013 -- Commander of Iranian Army Ground Forces says the homegrown Zolfaqar tank can rival Russian T-72S tanks.
- New generation of Zolfaqar, Samsam tanks unveiled IRNA 04 Feb 2013 -- New generation of advanced Zolfaqar and Samsam tanks was unveiled by Commander of Army's Ground Force Brigadier General Ahmad Reza Pourdastan on Monday.
- Military declines to comment on report of cruise missiles CNA 04 Feb 2013 -- The Ministry of National Defense declined Monday to comment on a blog that claimed to reveal the location where Taiwan-developed cruise missiles and disguised command vehicles for the missile system are supposedly housed.
- Czech Combat Instructors Might Join Mali Military Operation RIA Novosti 04 Feb 2013 -- The Czech Republic plans to send combat instructors to Mali to join a military operation against Islamist militants in the north of the country, Czech radio reported citing the foreign minister said.
- Press Gaggle by Press Secretary Jay Carney, 2/4/2013 The White House 04 Feb 2013
- February 4, 2013 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 04 Feb 2013
- 4 February 2013 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 04 Feb 2013
- 4 February 2013 - Press Conference by Security Council President on Programme of Work for February United Nations 04 Feb 2013
- Larijani voices Iran's all-out support for Syria IRNA 04 Feb 2013 -- Parliament Speaker Ali Larijani here Monday stressed Tehran's all-out support for the Syrian nation and government against the existing conspiracies.
- Iran: Israel Will 'Regret' Aggression Against Syria VOA 04 Feb 2013 -- A top Iranian official says Israel will regret its latest 'aggression' against Syria.
- Syria: UN begins delivery of safe water supplies for 10 million people UN News Centre 04 Feb 2013 -- A large-scale operation is under way in Syria to secure safe water supplies for more than 10 million people – close to half the population, the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) said today, amid reports that the quality and quantity of water is continuing to deteriorate with negative impacts for children's health.
- Zionist regime's support for Syrian terrorist groups evident: Assad IRNA 04 Feb 2013 -- Zionist regime's recent air raid on Syria proved this regime's support for the terrorist groups, Syrian President Bashar al-Assad said on Sunday.
- Schools reopen in Mali's Timbuktu IRIN 04 Feb 2013 -- Children returned to school in Timbuktu in northern Mali on 1 February, a week after Islamist groups fled.
- Two Senior Islamists Captured in Northern Mali VOA 04 Feb 2013 -- Two senior Islamist militants have been captured in northern Mali, including a top leader of radical group Ansar Dine.
- In South Africa, Rare Support for French Intervention VOA 04 Feb 2013 -- African powerhouse South Africa has previously denounced foreign interference on the continent, but the nation is welcoming the French military campaign against Islamist militants in Mali.
- Activist to Petition ICC Over Alleged Uganda Atrocities VOA 04 Feb 2013 -- A prominent Ugandan political activist says he plans to ask the International Criminal Court (ICC) to investigate alleged human rights abuses in the East African country.
- Congolese refugees in Rwanda complain of insufficient food, water IRIN 04 Feb 2013 -- New waves of civilians fleeing the Democratic Republic of Congo [DRC] for Rwanda have added to the challenge of providing the tens of thousands of such refugees there with adequate food supplies,' Abdoulaye Balde, UN World Food Programme (WFP) representative in Rwanda, told IRIN.
- What Will New U.S. Secretary Of State John Kerry Be Like? RFE/RL 04 Feb 2013 -- Hillary Clinton regularly leads international popularity polls and was known abroad as America's "rock star diplomat." John Kerry - who greets his State Department staff for the first time on February 4 - seems to be the very embodiment of an elder statesman.
- Kerry Begins Work as Secretary of State VOA 04 Feb 2013 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry has begun work as America's top diplomat. On his first day in office, he stressed the need to protect universal human rights.
- Egyptian Man's Police Beating Reignites Outrage VOA 04 Feb 2013 -- The violence that has seized Egypt since late last month is, to many, sadly familiar: Angry young men provoke police, police respond with excessive force. Both sides are counted among the dead and wounded, as are bystanders.
- Commander: Nothing could ever endanger Iranian borders IRNA 04 Feb 2013 -- Commander of Army's Ground Forces Brigadier General Ahmadreza Pourdastan said here on Monday that nothing could ever endanger borders of the Islamic Republic of Iran.
- President: Evil forces concerned by Iranian nation's progress IRNA 04 Feb 2013 -- President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad on Monday said that evil forces were worrying about the progress of the Iranian nation.
- Iran's President, Speaker Clash In Parliament RFE/RL 04 Feb 2013 -- Iranian President Mahmud Ahmadinejad has accused the parliament speaker's family of corruption and abuse of power, just months ahead of the country's June presidential election.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|