30 January 2013 Military News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 30 Jan 2013 [PDF]
- Combined Force Arrests Taliban Leaders in Helmand Province AFPS 30 Jan 2013 -- A combined Afghan and coalition security force arrested two Taliban leaders today in the Nahr-e Saraj district of Afghanistan’s Helmand province.
- Afghan minister, Pakistan army chief discuss defence cooperation IRNA 30 Jan 2013 -- The visiting Afghan Defence Minister, General Bismillah Khan Muhammadi, has held talks with Pakistan army chife, General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani and discussed defence cooperation.
- 444th engineers complete route clearance mission Army News 30 Jan 2013 -- Nearly 100 New York Army Reserve engineers, assigned to 444th Eng. Co., returned Saturday, Jan. 26, after an 11-month deployment in Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom.
- USACE completes construction of medical facility in Shindand Army News 30 Jan 2013 -- The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers completed construction Jan. 29 of a new medical facility in Shindand district, Herat province.
- Four Patriot batteries operational in Turkey NATO 30 Jan 2013 -- NATO now has command and control of two Dutch and two German Patriot batteries located in Adana and Kahramanmaras in the south of Turkey.
- Iraqi Men Sentenced In U.S. Terrorism Case RFE/RL 30 Jan 2013 -- An Iraqi man who pleaded guilty to terrorism-related charges has been sentenced to life in prison in the southern U.S. state of Kentucky.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Guantanamo 9/11 Suspect Hearings Face Rough Start VOA 30 Jan 2013 -- More than 12 years after the September 11th terrorist attacks on the United States, there is still no trial date set for the alleged mastermind and four other defendants.
- US-Indonesia Expand Defense Partnership VOA 30 Jan 2013 -- The United States is furthering its defense partnership with Indonesia by committing to securing the waters in Southeast Asia against threats posed by terrorism, piracy and renewed territorial tensions.
- Minju Joson on Japan Moving to Legalize Overseas Aggression KCNA 30 Jan 2013 -- Masanori Nishi, director for policy of the Japanese Ministry of Defense, recently visited the U.S. and agreed with it to hold negotiations on the issue of reexamining "Japan-U.S. Defence Cooperation Guidelines".
- KCNA Commentary on US, S. Korea's Military Drills KCNA 30 Jan 2013 -- The U.S. and the south Koreans have staged exercises from the outset of the year.
- 31st MEU embarks for 32nd iteration of exercise Cobra Gold 2013 USMC News 30 Jan 2013 -- Marines and Sailors of the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit embarked on three ships of Amphibious Squadron 11 to begin their annual Spring Patrol and journey to the Kingdom of Thailand for exercise Cobra Gold 2013.
- Special Ops Command South Presses for Increased Engagement AFPS 30 Jan 2013 -- The commander of Special Operations Command South is committed to not only maintaining, but increasing engagements in Central and South America and the Caribbean.
- USS Boxer Participates in Major Amphibious Exercise Dawn Blitz 2013 NNS 30 Jan 2013 -- This week marked the beginning of the amphibious assault ship USS Boxer's (LHD 4) involvement in the initial phase of Dawn Blitz 2013.
- Aviation brigade upgrades Black Hawk helicopters Army News 30 Jan 2013 -- The 2-158th Assault Helicopter Battalion began fielding 30 new UH-60M Black hawk helicopters to replace the current UH-60L models on Jan 7.
- USS California Completes PSA, Returns to SUBASE New London NNS 30 Jan 2013 -- USS California made her way up the Thames River Jan. 29 and arrived at Naval Submarine Base New London following her 11-month Post Shake Down Availability at General Dynamics Electric Boat.
- USS Bonhomme Richard Departs Okinawa NNS 30 Jan 2013 -- The Navy's only forward-deployed amphibious assault ship, USS Bonhomme Richard, departed White Beach, Okinawa, Jan. 30.
- Submarine USS Albuquerque Departs for Six-Month Deployment NNS 30 Jan 2013 -- USS Albuquerque deployed from Naval Base Point Loma for a scheduled six-month Western Pacific deployment.
- Artillery unit trains National Guard soldiers Army News 30 Jan 2013 -- Soldiers of 5-3rd Field Artillery traveled to New Mexico for the 5th Armor Live Fire Support exercise to train National Guard FA batteries B, 1-121 FA from Wisconsin and E, 3-139 FA from Indiana, Jan. 4 - 8.
- Opening combat positions for women essential to diversity, future AF AFNS 30 Jan 2013 -- Defense Secretary Leon Panetta's Jan. 24 announcement he would lift restrictions on women in combat positions has stirred up quite a bit of discussion.
- New York Guard to begin moving women into combat battalions Army News 30 Jan 2013 -- Women will be able to fill officer and noncommissioned officer positions in the New York Army National Guard's four combat battalions under a proposal announced by the Department of Defense and the Army to change the policy excluding women from ground combat units.
- Aviano augments search for missing pilot AFNS 30 Jan 2013 -- The 31st Fighter Wing launched several of its F-16 Fighting Falcon aircraft Jan. 29 to join the ongoing search effort for a U.S. Air Force fighter pilot who was declared missing during a nighttime training mission Jan. 28.
- DOD Program Gives New Hope to Double Arm Transplant Patient AFPS 30 Jan 2013 -- Officials at the Armed Forces Institute of Regenerative Medicine, which funded the research making it possible, say the investment will continue to bear fruit in giving new hope to wounded warriors.
- NAVSUP FLC Jacksonville Expands Operational Logistical Reach to Panama NNS 30 Jan 2013 -- NAVSUP Fleet Logistics Center Jacksonville has increased its operational logistical engagement within the U.S. 4th Fleet Area of Responsibility.
- Russia, Kazakhstan Sign Air Defense Agreement RIA Novosti 30 Jan 2013 -- Russia and Kazakhstan signed a deal to create a joint regional air defense system, Kazakhstan's Defense Ministry said.
- Russia Sends Naval Chaplains to Baltic Fleet RIA Novosti 30 Jan 2013 -- Eight military clergymen will be assigned to Russia’s Baltic Fleet in 2013.
- RAF becomes NATO Response Force lead UK MOD 30 Jan 2013 -- The Royal Air Force's Joint Force Air Component Commander (JFACC) today assumed lead responsibility for the NATO Response Force (NRF).
- Iran Navy Starts 3-Day Drills in Persian Gulf RIA Novosti 30 Jan 2013 -- The Iranian Navy launched a three-day exercise in the Persian Gulf to rehearse rapid deployment in crisis.
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Jay Carney, 1/30/13 The White House 30 Jan 2013
- U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing, January 30, 2013 US Dept. of State 30 Jan 2013
- DoD News: Contracts for January 30, 2013
- Pirelli Launches 2nd Tire Facility in Southwest Russia RIA Novosti 30 Jan 2013 -- Italian tire manufacturing giant has launched its second tire production line at its Voronezh facility in southwest Russia, the company said.
- Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General, 30 January 2013 United Nations 30 Jan 2013
- Deputy UN chief spotlights rule of law as essential to peace and development UN News Centre 30 Jan 2013 -- The Deputy Secretary-General highlighted the need for measures that enhance the rule of law in conflict and post-conflict situations.
- Press Conference by United Nations Police Adviser, 30 January 2013 United Nations 30 Jan 2013
- Outgoing UN police adviser stresses critical need for more female officers UN News Centre 30 Jan 2013 -- The top United Nations police official called on Member States to send more qualified female officers to serve in the world body’s operations.
- Israeli Warplanes Strike Inside Syria VOA 30 Jan 2013 -- Israeli warplanes struck inside Syria Wednesday for the first time in five years.
- Israeli Concerns Rise Over Syria's Chemical Stockpile VOA 30 Jan 2013 -- Israeli Air Force planes reportedly struck a target in southern Syria near the border with Lebanon.
- UN-Arab League envoy watching for Syrian reactions to opposition offer on talks UN News Centre 30 Jan 2013 -- Reaffirming the importance of negotiation to stop the carnage in Syria, the Joint Special Representative of the United Nations and the League of Arab States reacted cautiously to reports that an opposition leader was ready to hold talks with the Syrian Government.
- More than $1.5 billion pledged for Syria humanitarian response – UN UN News Centre 30 Jan 2013 -- Countries and regional organizations today pledged more than $1.5 billion to provide humanitarian assistance to civilians affected by the conflict in Syria, exceeding the initial target set by the United Nations and its partners.
- Donors pledge $1.5 billion in aid to Syria while demanding more access IRIN 30 Jan 2013 -- In the largest ever fundraising conference in UN history, the international community pledged today more than US$1.5 billion in humanitarian aid for the people of Syria.
- UN Chief Says Syria Aid Pledges Exceed $1.5 Billion Target RFE/RL 30 Jan 2013 -- UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon says a conference to boost relief aid for Syria has exceeded its initial target of $1.5 billion.
- UN Appeals for More Aid, Halt to Syria Fighting VOA 30 Jan 2013 -- Foreign donors pledged more than $1.5 billion to help the United Nations conduct relief operations for Syrian refugees.
- Aid Groups in Syria Use Diverging Methods to Deliver Supplies VOA 30 Jan 2013 -- The United Nations says an international donor conference has raised about $500 million for humanitarian relief efforts inside war-ravaged Syria.
- UN Hosts Conference On Syrian Refugees RFE/RL 30 Jan 2013 -- The United Nations is urging a major boost in relief aid for Syrians caught up in the country's devastating civil war.
- Obama Authorizes Additional Aid for Syria RIA Novosti 30 Jan 2013 -- US President Barack Obama announced he has authorized an additional $155 million in humanitarian aid for the people of Syria.
- Jordan and Lebanon Unable to Cope with Syrian Refugee Flow RIA Novosti 30 Jan 2013 -- The leaders of Lebanon and Jordan said their countries were unable to handle the inflow of refugees from the neighboring Syria, and asked for help from the international community.
- Bodies Of “Executed Men” Discovered In Syria RIA Novosti 30 Jan 2013 -- The bodies of dozens of young men, all apparently executed with gunshots to the head or neck, have been found in a river in the northwestern Syrian city of Aleppo.
- French Troops Enter Last Mali Rebel Stronghold VOA 30 Jan 2013 -- French forces have entered Kidal, the last major stronghold of Islamist militants who seized control of northern Mali last year.
- Libya Fears Influx of Mali Insurgents VOA 30 Jan 2013 -- Leaders in neighboring Libya are raising the alarm, warning of a spillover that could see rebel Tuareg and al-Qaeda-linked fighters fleeing into Libyan territory.
- Clashes Between DRC Forces, Mai-Mai Militias Displace Thousands VOA 30 Jan 2013 -- Medecins Sans Frontieres said the medical consequences resulting from the displacement of civilians from fighting in Katanga province are severe.
- UN humanitarian official decries use of live ammunition again Palestinian civilians UN News Centre 30 Jan 2013 -- The top United Nations humanitarian official in the occupied Palestinian territories is “seriously concerned” about increased civilian casualties.
- Palestinians face growing food crisis IRIN 30 Jan 2013 -- Fluctuating prices, poverty and border restrictions mean growing numbers of Palestinians are facing food insecurity this year.
- IAEA Sees No Sign Of Explosion At Iranian Site RFE/RL 30 Jan 2013 -- The UN's nuclear watchdog says it has seen no sign of an explosion at one of Iran's nuclear facilities.
- IAEA spokesperson: No explosion in Fordow IRNA 30 Jan 2013 -- International Atomic Energy Agency Spokesperson Gill Tudor declared that no explosion has occurred at Fordow nuclear installation.
- EU Invites Iran for New Nuclear Talks Again RIA Novosti 30 Jan 2013 -- The European External Action Service has invited Iran to hold a new round of talks on its controversial nuclear program in February.
- Iran Crude Oil Exports Rise to Highest Since EU Sanctions VOA 30 Jan 2013 -- Iran's crude oil exports in December leapt to their highest level since European Union sanctions took effect last July.
- Iran's Intelligence Ministry Says More Journalists Could Be Detained RFE/RL 30 Jan 2013 -- Iran's Intelligence Ministry has accused more than a dozen journalists, arrested over the weekend, of being members of "one of the biggest media networks" linked to the West.
- Intelligence Ministry says reporters arrested for liaison with foreign media IRNA 30 Jan 2013 -- Intelligence Ministry said in a statement that the reporters had been arrested for liaison with foreign media, naming the BBC.
- Changes To Iran's Election Law Seen As Attempt To Prevent Ahmadinejad Influence RFE/RL 30 Jan 2013 -- Iran's Guardians Council has approved changes to the country’s election law that significantly diminish the government’s authority over elections.
- Kim Jong Un Delivers Address at the Fourth Conference of Cell Secretaries of the Workers' Party of Korea KCNA 30 Jan 2013 -- The dear respected Kim Jong Un delivered an address at the Fourth Conference of Cell Secretaries of the Workers' Party of Korea.
- Morsi Cuts European Visit as Egyptian Crisis Continues VOA 30 Jan 2013 -- Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi is making a shortened visit to Germany Wednesday, as a political crisis marked by days of protests continues at home.
- Egyptian Opposition Calls For Urgent Talks To End Crisis RFE/RL 30 Jan 2013 -- Prominent Egyptian opposition leader Muhammad ElBaradei is urgently calling for talks between President Muhammad Morsi, Islamic groups, and the opposition to address the country's ongoing political crisis.
- Three Killed in Cairo Riots RIA Novosti 30 Jan 2013 -- Three people were killed last night in the ongoing riots in the Egyptian capital Cairo, the Egyptian Health Ministry said.
- Amnesty Concerned About Upcoming Kenyan Election VOA 30 Jan 2013 -- Amnesty International is raising concerns about the ability of Kenyan police to handle possible election-related violence as the country prepares for the March 4 polls.
- Somalia Sends First-Ever Ambassador to South Africa VOA 30 Jan 2013 -- For the first time ever, Somalia has sent an ambassador to South Africa, the continent’s economic powerhouse.
- Somalia beginning ‘profound transformation,’ UN official says during visit UN News Centre 30 Jan 2013 -- The top United Nations political official stressed that Somalia is entering a new chapter in its history, and reiterated the world body’s commitment to support efforts to build lasting peace.
- Peres Seen as Asking Netanyahu to Form New Israel Government VOA 30 Jan 2013 -- Israeli President Shimon Peres began talks with political parties on Wednesday over who should form a new government and appears certain to ask incumbent Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to assemble it.
- Pakistani Teenager Shot By Taliban To Undergo Skull Surgery RFE/RL 30 Jan 2013 -- Malala Yousafzai, the Pakistani teenage activist shot in the head by the Taliban, is to undergo major surgery in the next few days to reconstruct her skull.
- Pakistan's Former Oil, Gas Chief Arrested In Abu Dhabi RFE/RL 30 Jan 2013 -- Pakistani officials say the country's fugitive former oil and gas chief has been arrested in Abu Dhabi.
- Erdogan Hints at Alternative Federation for Turkey VOA 30 Jan 2013 -- Several European Union countries recently reiterated their opposition to Ankara’s efforts to join the European Union, once again bringing its membership bid to a virtual halt.
- Turkish PM Could Seek Constitutional Referendum VOA 30 Jan 2013 -- Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan said he will take proposed constitutional reforms, expected to include the creation of an executive presidency, directly to parliament and if necessary to the people if no deal can be reached by April.
- Azerbaijan's Hot January: Unusually Bold Protests Challenge Government RFE/RL 30 Jan 2013 -- As a presidential election looms that will pit Aliyev against an increasingly vocal opposition, many believe Azerbaijan is in for a lot more political turmoil in the year to come.
- Solving statelessness in Southern Africa IRIN 30 Jan 2013 -- Nationality confers a host of rights that stateless individuals cannot access, from education and healthcare to the ability to register a marriage or a birth.
- Kerry Confirmed as US Secretary of State RIA Novosti 30 Jan 2013 -- The US Senate on Tuesday easily confirmed one of its own, Democratic Senator John Kerry, to be the next secretary of state and take over from Hillary Clinton who is stepping down after four years in the job.
- British Political Rivals Unite Against EU Exit VOA 30 Jan 2013 -- Political rivals joined forces on Wednesday to launch a campaign to keep Britain inside the European Union, aiming to turn back a rising tide of animosity towards Brussels that threatens to end its 40-year membership of the bloc.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|