27 January 2013 Military News
- Pennsylvania Soldiers return from Afghan deployment Army News 27 Jan 2013 -- More than 120 Soldiers with 420th Eng. Co., 458th Eng. Bn., 411th Eng. Bde., 412th Theater Engineer Command, returned home after 11 months of deployment in Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom.
- First Patriot Battery in Turkey Operational - NATO RIA Novosti 27 Jan 2013 -- The first of six Patriot batteries being deployed by NATO along Turkey's border with Syria was declared operational on Saturday, the alliance said in a statement.
Defense Policy / Programs
- USAF AMC CG sees scope of 401st AFSB retrograde mission Army News 27 Jan 2013 -- The commander of the U. S. Air Force Air Mobility Command visited the 401st Army Field Support Brigade Jan. 17 to see first hand the scope of the brigade's equipment retrograde mission and discuss his command's role in that mission.
- USS La Jolla Returns to Pearl Harbor NNS 27 Jan 2013 -- Friends and families of the crew from the USS La Jolla (SSN 701) gathered at the submarine piers to welcome back the Los Angeles-class submarine as she returned to Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam after completing a six-month deployment to the Western Pacific region, Jan. 25.
- 'No flexibility' in US Missile Talks - Medvedev RIA Novosti 27 Jan 2013 -- Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev said on Sunday he sees "no flexibility" in a dispute over US missile defense plans, warning that a new arms race could emerge if talks fail.
- India test fires ballistic missile from underwater platform IRNA 27 Jan 2013 -- Moving a step closer to completing its nuclear triad, India on Sunday successfully test fired a ballistic missile, with a strike range of around 1500 kilometres, from an underwater platform in Bay of Bengal.
- FM: Warships maintain Iranian vessels security in int'l waters IRNA 27 Jan 2013 -- Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi said that the presence of Iranian warships in the Red Sea and other international waters is aimed at providing the security of Iran's ships traveling in the international waters.
- West's explosion claim, propaganda on occasion of nuclear talks: MP IRNA 27 Jan 2013 -- Claim of explosion in Fordo enrichment facility is another West's propaganda on the occasion of Iran and G5+1 negotiations, the head of the National Security and Foreign Policy Commission of Iran's Majlis (Parliament) Alaeddin Boroujerdi said on Sunday.
- Ban calls on African leaders to end cycle of poverty and violence UN News Centre 27 Jan 2013 -- Speaking at the African Union Summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today called on the continent's leaders to boost efforts to lift millions out of poverty and end recurrent cycles of violence to accelerate development in the region.
- Peace, Security at Forefront of AU Summit VOA 27 Jan 2013 -- The response to the conflict in Mali is high on the agenda during the African Union summit, which opened Sunday in Addis Ababa. African leaders say establishing regional peace and security is crucial to sustaining the continent's development.
- French-Led Troops Advance on Timbuktu RIA Novosti 27 Jan 2013 -- French-led forces in Mali are advancing on the key northern city of Timbuktu after seizing the Islamic rebels' stronghold of Gao, western media reported on Sunday.
- EU Calls for Restraint in Egypt Standoff RIA Novosti 27 Jan 2013 -- European Union foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton has called on all the sides of escalating confrontation in Egypt to show restraint during the country's transition to democracy.
- French-Backed Malian Forces Retake Gao, Advance on Timbuktu VOA 27 Jan 2013 -- French and Malian forces are closing in on the ancient town of Timbuktu after more than two weeks of fighting Islamist fighters occupying the region.
- Medvedev: Assad Made 'Fundamental' Mistake RFE/RL 27 Jan 2013 -- Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev has said that Syrian President Bashar al-Assad made a 'fundamental, perhaps fatal' mistake by not implementing political reforms and drawing in the opposition more quickly.
- Assad's Chances to Keep Power 'Smaller and Smaller' - Medvedev RIA Novosti 27 Jan 2013 -- Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev said on Sunday Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has made a "grave, possibly fatal mistake' and his chances of retaining power are getting 'smaller and smaller' every day.
- Russian PM: Delaying Syrian Reforms May be 'Fatal' Error for Assad VOA 27 Jan 2013 -- Russia has made one of its strongest criticisms of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad to date, saying the longtime Russian ally made a potentially 'fatal' error by delaying democratic reforms demanded by Syria's opposition.
- Burmese Rebels Claim to Have Retaken Vital Outpost VOA 27 Jan 2013 -- Burmese rebels facing intense fighting say they have retaken a key outpost near the Kachin-rebel headquarters. The rebel Kachin Independence Army says it has reclaimed the northern Burma position after briefly retreating.
- Statement by Attorney General on the organisation which seeks to oppose basic principles of the UAE system of governance and to seize power WAM 27 Jan 2013 -- The Attorney General of the UAE, Salem Saeed Kubaish, has stated that 94 Emirati suspects have been referred to the Federal Supreme Court as part of the case relating to the organisation which sought to seize power in the country.
- Iran denies explosion in Fordo enrichment facility IRNA 27 Jan 2013 -- There has been no explosion in Fordo nuclear Facility, the deputy head of the Iranian Atomic Energy Organization Seyyed Shamseddin Barbroudi said on Sunday.
- Defense minister opens mass production line of anti-aircraft system IRNA 27 Jan 2013 -- Minister of Defense Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi on Sunday inaugurated mass production line of anti-aircraft system in the country.
- U.S.-Masterminded UNSC's "Resolution" Rejected KCNA 27 Jan 2013 -- The DPRK will never accept the UN Security Council's "Resolutions" Nos. 1718 and 1874, products of the U.S. hostile policy toward it.
- U.S. Can Never Break Will of DPRK KCNA 27 Jan 2013 -- It is another wanton infringement on the sovereignty of the DPRK and an insult to its dignity that the UN Security Council adopted a "resolution on sanctions" against it over what it said "provocation".
- Chavez Recovers from Respiratory Infection - Minister RIA Novosti 27 Jan 2013 -- Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez recovered from respiratory infection he contracted after undergoing cancer surgery in Cuba, the Venezuelan information minister said on Saturday.
- Morsi Declares emergency in flashpoint Egyptian Cities VOA 27 Jan 2013 -- Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi has declared a state of emergency in three cities consumed with anti-government violence. In Port Said Sunday, six people were killed at the funerals of 30 people killed the day before in clashes over a court decision in a football tragedy. Elsewhere, rioters and protesters fought police in battles that have flared since Friday's second anniversary of Egypt's revolution.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|