20 January 2013 Military News
- Pakistan likely to release top Afghan Taliban leader IRNA 20 Jan 2013 -- Pakistan has decided to release all Afghan Taliban prisoners including the group deputy Mullah Baradar, senior Pakistani official has said.
- New UN report highlights ongoing problem of torture in Afghan detention facilities UN News Centre 20 Jan 2013 -- Torture remains a serious concern in numerous detention facilities across Afghanistan, despite significant efforts by the Government and international partners to address the problem, according to a new United Nations report released on Sunday.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Obama, Biden Sworn In, Day Before Public Ceremony VOA 20 Jan 2013 -- President Barack Obama has been formally sworn in for a second four-year term. Vice President Joe Biden also took the oath of office Sunday before Monday's public inauguration ceremony, to be witnessed by hundreds of thousands of people on the National Mall.
- On Final Official Trip, Panetta Shares Legacy of Service AFPS 20 Jan 2013 -- Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta returned here yesterday after concluding a six-day tour of European capitals that he has said was likely his last official trip in office.
- Navy Commander Expresses Regret Concerning USS Guardian Grounding NNS 20 Jan 2013 -- The U.S. 7th Fleet Commander on Saturday expressed regret over the grounding of USS Guardian (MCM 5) on Tubbataha Reef in the Sulu Sea.
- HSC-23 Brings Search and Rescue Capability to Peleliu NNS 20 Jan 2013 -- Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron 23, from Naval Air Station North Island, embarked aboard USS Peleliu as a search and rescue detachment in February 2012 and is currently deployed with the ship.
- Russia 'Flexes Muscles' in Mediterranean Amid Syrian Crisis RIA Novosti 20 Jan 2013 -- Russia has started the largest naval exercises in the past few decades in the Mediterranean and Black Seas as a civil war in Syria continues to gain momentum.
- Austrians Set to Seal Fate of Military Draft RIA Novosti 20 Jan 2013 -- Austria holds a national referendum on Sunday to decide on whether to scrap conscription and move to a professional army or to keep the military draft and alternative civilian service.
- Minju Joson on ROK Military Maneuvers KCNA 20 Jan 2013 -- The 7th Artillery Brigade of the south Korean ground force staged a joint drill in cold winter at the drill ground in Ryonchon County, Kyonggi Province together with the an artillery battalion of the Second Division of the US forces in south Korea from Jan. 15 to 17.
- S. Koreans Plan to Stage Field Tactical Drill in Forefront Area KCNA 20 Jan 2013 -- The 72nd Division of the south Korean army announced that it would stage a field tactical drill in Koyang, Phaju and Yangju, Kyonggi Province from Jan. 21.
- Death Toll Rising In Aftermath Of Algerian Hostage Drama RFE/RL 20 Jan 2013 -- In Algeria, the death toll is rising as cleanup efforts began in the aftermath of a hostage crisis at a natural gas complex in the Sahara desert.
- 25 Bodies Discovered at Algerian Siege Site RIA Novosti 20 Jan 2013 -- Twenty-five burnt bodies have been found inside a desert gas facility in eastern Algeria after a bloody raid ended a four-day hostage standoff, private Algerian television station Ennahar said on Sunday.
- Algeria Says Bodies of More Hostages Found at Gas Complex VOA 20 Jan 2013 -- Algerian officials say security forces searching a desert gas complex raided by Islamists have found the bodies of more hostages killed by the militants in the four-day seizure of the facility this week.
- Algeria: Death Toll from Hostage Crisis May Rise VOA 20 Jan 2013 -- Algeria says the death toll from the hostage crisis at a natural gas complex could rise. The government said Sunday several countries have indicated some of their citizens remain missing after an end to the bloody conflict at the complex in eastern Algeria.
- Interview: Sarkisian On Upcoming Vote, Turkish Relations, Nagorno-Karabakh RFE/RL 20 Jan 2013 -- Armenian President Serzh Sarkisian sat down with RFE/RL at the weekend for an exclusive interview ahead of the February 18 vote in which the leader of the ruling Republican Party of Armenia will be seeking a second term in office.
- Cancer-Stricken Chavez 'Enters New Phase of Treatment' RIA Novosti 20 Jan 2013 -- Venezuela's cancer-stricken President Hugo Chavez is entering a new phase of treatment after finishing post-operative care, Venezuelan Vice President Nicolas Maduro said Sunday.
- Afghanistan Blasts Russia's Inadequate Aid in Drug Fight RIA Novosti 20 Jan 2013 -- Afghanistan blasted Russia for what it said was inadequate assistance in Afghanistan's fight against drugs production.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|