06 January 2013 Military News
- ANA demonstrate excellence, graduate mortar training Army News 06 Jan 2013 -- As each day passes, the Afghan National Army is adding to its capabilities. This progress is significant in building a security force that can provide stability for its people and future.
- Afghan Security Tops Agenda for Karzai Washington Talks VOA 06 Jan 2013 -- Afghan President Hamid Karzai comes to Washington this week for talks with President Barack Obama about the future of relations following next year's withdrawal of most U.S. troops.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Russian Navy to Get 80 Support Ships by 2016 RIA Novosti 06 Jan 2013 -- The Russian Navy will receive about 80 support ships within the next three years, the Defense Ministry said on Sunday.
- 'Future Soldier' Uniform State Tests Slated for April RIA Novosti 06 Jan 2013 -- Russia will conduct in April state tests of military equipment sets Ratnik, nicknamed "future soldier uniforms," Defense Ministry ground forces spokesman Lt. Col. Nikolai Donyushkin said on Sunday.
- Russia Tracks 40 Domestic, Foreign Launches in 2012 RIA Novosti 06 Jan 2013 -- The Russian military tracked about 40 foreign and domestic missile and space rocket launches last year, a Defense Ministry spokesman said on Sunday.
- Russia to Start Construction of Three Radar Stations RIA Novosti 06 Jan 2013 -- Russia will start building new radar stations of the Voronezh class in three regions this year, spokesman for Russia's Space Forces Col. Alexei Zolotukhin said on Sunday.
- Pakistan: Soldier Killed As Indian Troops Raid Military Post RFE/RL 06 Jan 2013 -- Pakistan's military says one of its soldiers was killed when Indian troops raided a military post along the de facto border in Kashmir.
- India-Pakistan Clash Unlikely to Affect Long-Term Relations VOA 06 Jan 2013 -- Pakistan is accusing India of a cross-border raid in the disputed Kashmir territory, killing at least one Pakistani soldier and critically wounding another. But Indian officials say their troops fired across the border after being attacked from Pakistan. The incident is unlikely to seriously affect the peace process that has dramatically improved diplomatic ties.
- Sudanese Leaders Agree to Set up Demilitarized Border Zone RIA Novosti 06 Jan 2013 -- The leaders of Sudan and South Sudan agreed to set up a demilitarized buffer zone on the border between the two states during Saturday's talks in Ethiopia, African Union mediator Thabo Mbeki said.
- Abbas Changes PNA Name to State of Palestine RIA Novosti 06 Jan 2013 -- The leader of the Palestinian National Authority (PNA), Mahmoud Abbas, signed a decree on Saturday to change PNA to "the State of Palestine," the official WAFA news agency reported.
- South Africa Deploys Troops to Central African Republic VOA 06 Jan 2013 -- The South African government has authorized the deployment of some 400 troops to the Central African Republic.
- Israel to Build Syrian Border Fence VOA 06 Jan 2013 -- Israel intends to reinforce its frontier with neighboring Syria amid growing concerns about the fallout from the Syrian civil war.
- Assad Describes New Peace Initiative, Blasts 'Murderous' Opposition RFE/RL 06 Jan 2013 -- In a rare public appearance, Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has outlined a new peace initiative but blasted his opponents as murderers and puppets.
- Syrian President Announces Peace Plan to Resolve Crisis RIA Novosti 06 Jan 2013 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has proposed a plan to resolve the country's crisis which includes a national reconciliation conference, the formation of a new government and an amnesty.
- Syrian Opposition Rejects Assad's Peace Plan RIA Novosti 06 Jan 2013 -- The Syrian opposition on Sunday rejected President Bashar al-Assad's new peace initiative, including a national reconciliation conference and a new government.
- Assad Outlines His View of Syria Solution VOA 06 Jan 2013 -- Looking tired, but sounding confident, Syrian President Bashar al-Assad told a crowd of supporters at the Damascus opera house Sunday that he is prepared to hold a dialogue with the opposition, if it observes a cease-fire first.
- Morsi Expands Brotherhood Influence in Egyptian Cabinet VOA 06 Jan 2013 -- Egypt's Islamist President Mohamed Morsi has expanded the number of Muslim Brotherhood ministers in his Cabinet as part of a reshuffle aimed at improving the government's handling of an economic crisis.
- Ghana Set for Inauguration of President Mahama VOA 06 Jan 2013 -- Ghana's information minister says all is set for the inauguration of President John Dramani Mahama Monday, despite threats by opposition lawmakers to boycott the ceremony.
- Iran reaffirms commitment to NPT, says will not give up its nuclear rights IRNA 06 Jan 2013 -- Director of Iran's Nuclear Energy Organization, Fereydoon Abbasi said on Sunday that Iran will not give up its nuclear rights, reaffirming commitment to Non-Proliferation Treaty and the International Atomic Energy Agency.
- Iran's SNSC Secretary, Afghan FM stress expansion of relations IRNA 06 Jan 2013 -- Iran's Secretary of the Supreme National Security Council (SNSC) Saeed Jalili and Afghanistan's Foreign Minister Zalmai Rasul, in a meeting here on Sunday, stressed bolstering and reinvigorating of ties between the two countries.
- Jalili: Iran-Afghanistan relations consolidated IRNA 06 Jan 2013 -- Secretary of Supreme National Security Council (SNSC) Saeed Jalili in a meeting with President Hamid Karzai here on Saturday afternoon called mutual relations consolidated based on deep historical friendship in the days of happiness and sadness.
- Karzai: Iran-Afghanistan relations in an excellent level IRNA 06 Jan 2013 -- President Hamid Karzai in a meeting with Secretary of Iran's Supreme National Security Council Saeed Jalili said that relations between the two countries in recent years have deepened and are in an excellent level now.
- Pakistan's Jamaat-e-Islami former chief laid to rest IRNA 06 Jan 2013 -- Former chief of Jamaat-e-Islami, Pakistan, Qazi Hussain Ahmed was laid to rest at his ancestral graveyard in Peshawar on Sunday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|