31 December 2012 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 31 Dec 2012 [PDF]
- Combined Force Arrests Taliban Leader AFPS 31 Dec 2012 -- An Afghan and coalition security force arrested a Taliban leader and detained one other suspected insurgent during an operation in the Nad 'Ali district of Afghanistan's Helmand province today, military officials reported.
- Kabul Announces Fourth Stage Security Transition VOA 31 Dec 2012 -- The Afghan government has announced the fourth stage of the security transition, with Afghan forces set to take over responsibility for the security of nearly 90 percent of the country's population from NATO troops.
- Statement by Secretary Panetta on the Government of Afghanistan's Security Transition Announcement DoD 31 Dec 2012
- NATO Secretary General welcomes Afghan transition announcement NATO 31 Dec 2012
- Out With The Troops, In With The Afghan Investment? RFE/RL 31 Dec 2012 -- Foreign forces are preparing to leave the country, capital is fleeing, and it's the Afghan government's job to stop it.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Panetta Praises Security Transition Progress in Afghanistan AFPS 31 Dec 2012 -- Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta lauded Afghan President Hamid Karzai's announcement that Afghanistan has entered the second to last stage of the transition of security responsibility from NATO's International Security Assistance Force to Afghan security forces.
- Commandant of the Marine Corps visits 15th MEU at-sea USMC News 31 Dec 2012 -- USS PELELIU – Leaders at the helm of the Marine Corps spent their holiday with the Marines and sailors of the 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit and Peleliu Amphibious Ready Group, Dec. 28.
- Russia's Ex-Deputy Defense Minister Kobets Dies RIA Novosti 31 Dec 2012 -- Former-Deputy Defense Minister, and General of the Russian Army, Konstantin Kobets, has died in Moscow at the age of 73, Russia's Defense Ministry Press Office confirmed on Monday.
- Iran Navy successfully hit hypothetical targets on 4th day of Velayat 91 drill IRNA 31 Dec 2012 -- Iranian Naval forces have successfully hit hypothetical targets on the fourth day of the Velayat 91 drill in Iran's southern territorial waters off this Persian Gulf provincial region.
- Velayat 91 naval drills shows Iran's high defense capabilities: MP IRNA 31 Dec 2012 -- Velayat 91 naval drills demonstrated IR Iran's high capabilities in defending maritime border, the member of the Majlis(Parliament) Commission on National Security and Foreign Policy Mohammad Hassan Asafari said here on Sunday.
- Defense Ministry streamlined in modernization drive CNA 31 Dec 2012 -- The Ministry of National Defense (MND) will celebrate New Year with a streamlined and more efficient organization system that is scheduled to start Jan. 1 along with its all-volunteer military.
- OPT: A precarious existence in the Jordan Valley IRIN 31 Dec 2012 -- For those who recently watched images of the Israeli bombardment in Gaza, the wide open hills of the Jordan Valley in the West Bank appear as a stark contrast.
- UN peacekeeping mission ends operations as Timor-Leste continues on path to 'brighter' future UN News Centre 31 Dec 2012 -- The United Nations peacekeeping mission in Timor-Leste today ended its operations, in line with the expiration of its mandate and amidst significant progress made in establishing peace and security in the country.
- CAR Rebels Threaten Capital VOA 31 Dec 2012 -- Rebels in the Central African Republic are not backing down from their threat to invade the capital, despite President Francois Bozize's offer to form a unity government.
- China: Detained Chinese Fishermen Released in Japan VOA 31 Dec 2012 -- China's state news agency said Japan has released a Chinese fishing crew detained on Saturday for poaching in Japanese waters.
- Somalia: welcoming recent gains, UN envoy says consolidating peace still 'not easy' UN News Centre 31 Dec 2012 -- The top United Nations official for Somalia today signalled the need for uninterrupted international support for the Horn-of-Africa country if gains over the past year are to be consolidated and advanced.
- New Year, New Problems for Egypt's Morsi RIA Novosti 31 Dec 2012 -- Six months into his presidency, as a New Year starts, President Mohamed Morsi finds himself facing tough decisions that may cause his declining popularity to diminish further.
- Venezuelan Leader Suffers 'New Complications' RFE/RL 31 Dec 2012 -- Venezuelan Vice President Nicolas Maduro spoke on state television on December 30 to announce President Hugo Chavez has suffered 'new complications' after cancer surgery in Cuba.
- Bombing Case Reopened Against Turkish Writer VOA 31 Dec 2012 -- Turkey is facing growing domestic and international pressure over the reopening of a bombing case against writer and sociologist Pinar Selek. The case has become the focal point of ongoing concern over Turkey's judiciary despite a decade of reform.
- Secular Pashtun Leaders Call For Decisive Pakistani Action Against Terror RFE/RL 31 Dec 2012 -- Two prominent secular ethnic Pashtun politicians in Pakistan have called on Islamabad to take decisive action to end extremist sanctuaries in the country's northwestern tribal areas.
- UN chief condemns latest violence in Pakistan, calls for perpetrators to be brought to justice UN News Centre 31 Dec 2012 -- Appalled by the "escalating terrorist violence" in Pakistan, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has spoken out on the matter, calling for those responsible to be held accountable, according to his spokesperson.
- Al-Qaida in Yemen Offers Bounty for US Ambassador VOA 31 Dec 2012 -- The Yemen-based branch of al-Qaida has offered a bounty for anyone who kills the U.S. ambassador to Yemen or an American soldier in the impoverished Arab state, a group that monitors Islamist websites said.
- 23 Killed as Iraq Bombings Target Pilgrims VOA 31 Dec 2012 -- Iraqi authorities said a wave of bombings across the country has killed at least 23 people in the latest apparent effort by militants to undermine confidence in the security forces.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|