30 December 2012 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- First Borey Class Nuclear Sub to Join Russian Navy on Sunday RIA Novosti 30 Dec 2012 -- Russia's first Borey class ballistic missile nuclear submarine, the Yury Dolgoruky, will be officially put into service with the Russian Navy on Sunday, the designer of the sub said.
- India Receives Second Russia-Built Stealth Missile Frigate RIA Novosti 30 Dec 2012 -- The second of three stealth frigates that Russia builds for India at the Yantar Shipyard in Russia's Baltic exclave of Kaliningrad arrived at the port of Mumbai, an Indian Defense Ministry source said on Sunday.
- Spokesman: Cyber defense used for first time in Velayat-91 drills IRNA 30 Dec 2012 -- Cyber defense methods were used for the first time during the naval drills dubbed Velayat-91 going on in Iran's southern waters, the spokesman for the war game said.
- Ukraine Plans to Suspend Military Draft in 2013 RIA Novosti 30 Dec 2012 -- Ukraine will suspend mandatory conscription in 2013 as a step toward a transition to a fully professional army, the country's Defense Minister Pavlo Lebedev said.
- Syria: UN-Arab League envoy warns of limited options, dangers of fragmentation UN News Centre 30 Dec 2012 -- "I am unable to see another solution out of two possibilities: either a political solution that is accepted by the Syrian people which meets its aspirations and legitimate rights, or Syria to be transformed into hell."
- UN Envoy Calls On International Community To Save Syria From 'Hell' RFE/RL 30 Dec 2012 -- The international peace envoy for Syria has urged the global community to accept a proposal for ending the brutal 21-month conflict.
- Nearly 400 Reported Killed in Deadly Day in Syria RIA Novosti 30 Dec 2012 -- At least 397 people were killed in Syria on Saturday in what could be the country's bloodiest day since the start of the uprising 21 months ago, the opposition Local Coordination Committees (LCC) claimed on Sunday.
- UN Envoy Brahimi Says Has Syria Peace Plan RIA Novosti 30 Dec 2012 -- The UN and Arab League's peace envoy on Syria, Lakhdar Brahimi, said on Sunday he hoped the international community would accept a new plan to end the 21-month civil war in the Middle East country, Egyptian media reported.
- UN Envoy Warns Syria Crisis Worsening VOA 30 Dec 2012 -- U.N.-Arab League Syria envoy Lakhdar Brahimi says the situation in Syria is deteriorating rapidly and risks getting considerably worse, if no political solution is found to the conflict.
- Central African Republic President Offers Unity Govt to Rebels VOA 30 Dec 2012 -- The Central African Republic's President Francois Bozize says he is willing to enter into a coalition government with the rebels who have taken control of a third of his country and are poised outside the capital.
- Pakistani leaders condemn killing of security men IRNA 30 Dec 2012 -- Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari and Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf Sunday condemned the brutal killing of 21 security men who had been kidnapped by the Taliban militants in the Northwestern country.
- IRGC official rejects direct talks with US IRNA 30 Dec 2012 -- Supreme Leader's deputy representative at Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Hojatoleslam Abdollah Haji Sadeghi, here on Sunday, called direct talks with US against the nation's interests.
- Azerbaijan not to allow third party to use soil against Iran: FM IRNA 30 Dec 2012 -- Azerbaijan Republic's Foreign Minister Elmar Mamedyarov reiterated here on Sunday that his country's soil will not be used as a launch pad against Iran.
- Yemeni Officials Say US Intensifying Drone Strikes on Al-Qaida VOA 30 Dec 2012 -- Yemeni authorities say apparent U.S. drone strikes on al-Qaida's branch in Yemen have intensified, with confirmation of a fourth deadly missile attack on the group in the past week.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|