28 December 2012 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 28 Dec 2012 [PDF]
- Pakistani Minister Welcomes Taliban Negotiation Offer VOA 28 Dec 2012 -- Officials in northwest Pakistan say they welcome the Pakistani Taliban's offer to negotiate with the government.
Defense Policy / Programs
- President, Defense Leaders Praise Schwarzkopf's Service, Legacy AFPS 28 Dec 2012 -- President Barack Obama, Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta and Joint Chiefs Chairman Army Gen, Martin E. Dempsey praised the service and legacy of retired Army Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf, who passed away yesterday at age 78.
- U.S. General Schwarzkopf Dead At 78 RFE/RL 28 Dec 2012 -- Norman Schwarzkopf, the U.S. general who commanded the international coalition that expelled Iraqi forces from Kuwait in 1991, has died.
- DOD Awards First Joint Licensing Agreement AFPS 28 Dec 2012 -- The Defense Department has leveraged the buying power of more than two million information technology users to award a three-year, $617 million joint enterprise license agreement for Microsoft products, defense officials announced.
- Naval Base Guam Breaks Ground on New, Energy-Efficient Facility NNS 28 Dec 2012 -- The Navy held a groundbreaking ceremony for the new, energy-efficient Navy Exchange (NEX) Guam Mini-mart and Gas Station on board U.S. Naval Base Guam (NBG) Dec. 19.
- New Radar in S. Russia to Go on Combat Duty Early in 2013 RIA Novosti 28 Dec 2012 -- A new-generation Voronezh-DM class anti-missile radar will enter combat duty near the town of Armavir in Russia's southern Krasnodar region in the beginning of 2013, Russian President Vladimir Putin said on Friday.
- Russian Ex-Defense Minister Complies with Summons RIA Novosti 28 Dec 2012 -- Russia's former defense minister, Anatoly Serdyukov, complied with a summons to appear on Friday at the headquarters of the country's main investigative body over a multi-million dollar property fraud case.
- Russian Air Force Gets First Six Su-35S Fighter Jets RIA Novosti 28 Dec 2012 -- The Sukhoi aircraft maker delivered on Friday the first six Su-35S fighter jets to the Russian Air Force, the company said.
- Putin Urges Faster Action to Streamline Defense Spending RIA Novosti 28 Dec 2012 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin urged the Defense Ministry on Friday to complete the streamlining of defense spending in the near future.
- China may need to buy large transport planes from Russia: report CNA 28 Dec 2012 -- China may have to purchase large transport planes from Russia to supplement its own aircraft to build a strategic air force, an article in a Chinese media outlet said Friday.
- China Unlocks Russian Helicopter Deal with Debt Write-off RIA Novosti 28 Dec 2012 -- China has agreed to write off Soviet debt totaling 1.57 million Swiss francs ($1.7 million), in a move that will restart a helicopter delivery program, Russian Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin said on Friday.
- Iran Navy starts 6-day 'Velayat-91? naval exercises IRNA 28 Dec 2012 -- Iranian Navy started 6-day 'Velayat 91? naval exercises in Iran's southern waters on Friday.
- Iran's navy to continue presence in international waters: Commander IRNA 28 Dec 2012 -- Islamic Republic of Iran's Navy (IRIN) would continue its presence in international waters, Navy Commander Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari said here on Thursday.
- Iran Starts 6-Day Naval Drills RIA Novosti 28 Dec 2012 -- The Iranian Navy launched six-day naval exercises on Friday in the Strait of Hormuz rehearsing border protection and piracy control operations, the Irna news agency reported.
- Military denies using contract workers to dismantle missiles CNA 28 Dec 2012 -- The military on Friday denied an accusation by an opposition lawmaker that it had hired contract workers for crucial tasks such as dismantling missiles.
- Ban to chair high-level donor conference next month for Syria humanitarian effort UN News Centre 28 Dec 2012 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon will chair a high-level conference next month to raise funds to alleviate the worsening plight of millions of Syrians affected by the ongoing conflict.
- Russian, Egyptian Envoys Urge Cease-Fire In Syria RFE/RL 28 Dec 2012 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has met in Moscow with his Egyptian counterpart, Muhammad Amr, for talks that included discussion of the ongoing crisis in Syria.
- Russia Urges Syria to Dialogue with Opposition VOA 28 Dec 2012 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov on Friday urged Syria's deputy foreign minister to engage in talks with the opposition in an attempt to end more than 21 months of civil war in Syria.
- Russia Invites Syrian National Coalition Chief for Talks RIA Novosti 28 Dec 2012 -- Russia has sent an invitation for talks to the head of the opposition Syrian National Coalition, Russia's Deputy Foreign Minister Mikhail Bogdanov said on Friday.
- AU Ready to Increase Military Presence in CAR VOA 28 Dec 2012 -- The African Union (AU) is ready to deploy extra troops in the Central African Republic if the Economic Community of Central African States (ECCAS) requests it.
- Security Council demands halt to rebel attacks in Central African Republic UN News Centre 28 Dec 2012 -- The Security Council has demanded that armed groups in the Central African Republic (CAR) immediately cease hostilities, following attacks on several towns in recent days, and called on all parties to seek a peaceful solution to the current crisis.
- Diplomats Make Last Ditch Effort to Talk With CAR Rebels VOA 28 Dec 2012 -- Central African countries are working Friday to open talks between the government of the Central African Republic (CAR) and the rebel coalition that has seized 10 key towns in the north in the past three weeks. The rebels are threatening to march on the capital, Bangui, and topple the government if the president does not negotiate.
- Armed DRC Militias Pose Risk for Children VOA 28 Dec 2012 -- Thousands of children in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) are at extreme risk of sexual violence, kidnapping and being forced to join armed militias, according to aid agencies. The recent upsurge in conflict in the eastern part of the country has led to many families being separated as they flee the violence - and aid workers are trying to reunite lost children with their parents before it's too late,
- UN peacekeeping mission in DR Congo warns M23 armed group over helicopter attacks UN News Centre 28 Dec 2012 -- The United Nations peacekeeping mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) today warned the 23 March Movement (M23) armed group that anyone attacking UN helicopters "will be prosecuted" as a war criminal.
- Japan to Carefully Consider Stationing Officials on Disputed Islands VOA 28 Dec 2012 -- Japanese Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida said the new Japanese government will carefully consider stationing officials on the Senkaku/Diaoyu Islands in a interview on December 28, according to JiJi Press, a Japanese news agency.
- 6th round of India-Pakistan talks on Conventional CBMs held in New Delhi IRNA 28 Dec 2012 -- The Sixth Round of Expert Level talks on Conventional CBMs between India and Pakistan held here on Thursday.
- Lavrov warns about use of force in nuclear talks with Iran IRNA 28 Dec 2012 -- Use of force against Iran can bring most negative consequences, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said here on Thursday.
- Iraqi Sunnis Hold Protest Against Shi'ite-Led Government VOA 28 Dec 2012 -- Tens of thousands of Iraqis have taken to the streets in a Sunni-dominated western province, the latest in a series of demonstrations against the country's Shi'ite-led government.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|