09 December 2012 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Afghan AF, NATO Air Training Command sign joint strategic flightplan AFNS 09 Dec 2012 -- Maj. Gen. Abdul Wahab Wardak, commander of the Afghan air force, and Brig. Gen. Steven Shepro, commander of NATO Air Training Command-Afghanistan, signed the first-ever combined strategy into effect at a Nov. 28 ceremony at the NATC-A headquarters at the Kabul International Airport here.
- Obama, Panetta Laud Special Operator Killed in Rescue Mission AFPS 09 Dec 2012 -- President Barack Obama and Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta today paid tribute to the special operations service member killed in the rescue of an American in eastern Afghanistan yesterday.
- Secretary Panetta's Statement on Operations in Afghanistan DoD 09 Dec 2012
Defense Policy / Programs
- Maintaining communications for the 31st MEU USMC News 09 Dec 2012 -- After offloading hundreds of pieces of communications equipment from a recent deployment at sea, the Marines must ensure their operational capabilities are maintained.
- Russia Rules Out Libyan Scenario in Syria RIA Novosti 09 Dec 2012 -- Russia will not allow a repetition of the Libyan scenario in Syria, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Sunday.
- Political solution for Syria crisis still possible, says UN-Arab League envoy UN News Centre 09 Dec 2012 -- The Joint Special Representative of the United Nations and the League of Arab States for Syria, Lakhdar Brahimi, held talks with senior Russian and United States officials on Sunday at which they stated that a political solution to end the crisis is still possible.
- Syrian Violence Spreads Again, Islamists Make Gains in North VOA 09 Dec 2012 -- Fighting in Syria has again spilled over the border into neighboring Lebanon while rebel forces aided by Islamist fighters appeared to make further gains in northern Syria.
- Moscow Accuses US of Blocking Mideast Quartet Efforts RIA Novosti 09 Dec 2012 -- The United States is blocking a meeting of the Quartet of Middle East mediators, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Sunday.
- Hamas Leader Meshaal Pledges to Continue Resistance RIA Novosti 09 Dec 2012 -- No concessions would be made over a future Palestine state, Hamas political leader Khaled Meshaal said on Saturday at a rally marking the 25th anniversary of the Islamist militant movement as over 100,000 Palestinians gathered in the Gaza Strip.
- Netanyahu Accuses Hamas of Calling for Israel's 'Destruction' VOA 09 Dec 2012 -- Last month's deadly conflict between Israel and Hamas militants in the Gaza Strip may be over, but the war of words continues.
- Russia Ready to Discuss Regular Air Link with Georgia – Lavrov RIA Novosti 09 Dec 2012 -- Moscow is ready to discuss restoring regular air link with Georgia, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Sunday.
- UN official stresses civilian protection on visit to areas affected by DR Congo violence UN News Centre 09 Dec 2012 -- While relief workers in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) have scaled up assistance to those affected by the recent violence in Goma, the protection of civilians remains a major concern, said a senior United Nations official who toured the area.
- Egyptian Opposition Calls For Mass Protests RFE/RL 09 Dec 2012 -- Opponents of Egypt's President Muhammad Morsi have dismissed his decision to press on with a referendum on a controversial draft constitution, calling for mass street protests.
- Egypt's Morsi Annuls Constitutional Declaration - Spokesman RIA Novosti 09 Dec 2012 -- Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi has decided to annul his constitutional declaration expanding his powers, a spokesman for a meeting between Morsi and the country's political leaders said on Sunday.
- Egyptian President Morsi Agrees to Delay Referendum - PM RIA Novosti 09 Dec 2012 -- Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi has agreed to delay the referendum on a new draft constitution and make amendments to his constitutional declaration, Prime Minister Hisham Qandil told journalists on Saturday.
- Egyptian Opposition Rejects Morsi's Planned Referendum VOA 09 Dec 2012 -- Egypt's opposition National Salvation Front has announced that it will not participate in a December 15 referendum over a disputed draft constitution. Earlier, President Mohamed Morsi revoked part of a controversial decree giving him sweeping powers but insisted the referendum on the new document would go ahead as planned.
- North Korea May Delay Rocket Launch RIA Novosti 09 Dec 2012 -- North Korea may postpone the controversial launch of a long-range rocket scheduled between December 10 and 22, the South Korean media reported on Sunday.
- Sanctions cannot hamper Iran's progress: Mehmanparast IRNA 09 Dec 2012 -- Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast has termed sanctions against Iran as 'unjustified' adding that they would have no impact on Islamic Republic's trade with other countries.
- Lavrov: 'United' Response To Magnitsky Act RFE/RL 09 Dec 2012 -- Russia's foreign minister has sharply criticized new U.S. legislation calling for sanctions against Russian officials who violate human rights.
- Russia Vows to Retaliate to US Magnitsky Bill RIA Novosti 09 Dec 2012 -- Russia will take retaliatory measures after the United States replaced the Soviet-era Jackson-Vanik amendment hampering Russian-US trade with new anti-Russian laws related to the death of Russian lawyer Sergei Magnitsky, a Russian presidential aide said on Sunday.
- Chavez Names Successor Ahead of New Surgery RIA Novosti 09 Dec 2012 -- Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez announced on national television late on Saturday he was flying to Cuba for a new cancer surgery and named Vice-President and Foreign Minister Nicolas Maduro as his possible successor.
- Ghana Reelects Mahama President, Opposition Alleges Fraud VOA 09 Dec 2012 -- Supporters of Ghanaian President John Dramani Mahama are celebrating in the streets of the capital after he edged out his chief rival to win the country's presidential election.
- ECOWAS 'Pleased' With Ghana Vote Conduct VOA 09 Dec 2012 -- The president of the ECOWAS commission says he is pleased with the organization and conduct of voters during Ghana's elections.
- Russia Fails To Insert Yamal-402 Satellite Into Desired Orbit RIA Novosti 09 Dec 2012 -- Russia has failed to put the Yamal-402 communications satellite in the desired orbit as it separated from the upper stage four minutes prior to the calculated time, Russia's Federal Space Agency Roscosmos said on Sunday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|