03 November 2012 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Roadside Bomb Kills Afghan Police Chief RFE/RL 03 Nov 2012 -- A roadside bombing has killed a district police chief in southern Afghanistan.
- New housing at 401st improves force protection posture Army News 03 Nov 2012 -- The third building in the 401st Army Field Support Brigade's Phase V housing area opened Oct. 27 and provides housing for personnel in a hardened structure thereby improving force protection.
- Head of Anti-Taliban Group Killed in Pakistan VOA 03 Nov 2012 -- Pakistani police say the head of an anti-Taliban committee has been killed by a suicide blast in the country's northwest.
- Bombing Kills Six In Northwest Pakistan RFE/RL 03 Nov 2012 -- A suicide bomber has killed the head of a local peace committee in northwestern Pakistan and at least five others.
- Remarks by the President at FEMA Headquarters The White House 03 Nov 2012
- Readout of President's Briefing on Response and Recovery Efforts to Hurricane Sandy The White House 03 Nov 2012
- Update on the DoD and National Guard Response to Hurricane Sandy DoD 03 Nov 2012
- Obama Thanks First Responders, Agencies for Sandy Response AFPS 03 Nov 2012 -- President Barack Obama thanked and praised first responders, volunteers and members of federal and nongovernment agencies for their efforts in aiding citizens impacted by Hurricane Sandy.
- Obama Gets Storm Relief Update at FEMA Headquarters AFPS 03 Nov 2012 -- President Barack Obama convened a briefing at the National Response Coordination Center at the Federal Emergency Management Agency headquarters to receive the latest update on federal efforts to support state and local response and recovery activities for Hurricane Sandy.
- Army Reserve assets activated in support of relief efforts Army News 03 Nov 2012 -- The Army Reserve is immediately mobilizing three tactical water distribution units to aid with hurricane relief efforts in areas affected by Hurricane Sandy.
Defense Policy / Programs
- CVW 3 Begins Advanced Tactical Training at NAS Fallon NNS 03 Nov 2012 -- Teamwork and preparation are crucial elements in the relationship between the USS Harry S. Truman and Carrier Air Wing 3, both of which play integral roles in Harry S. Truman Strike Group.
- USS Norfolk Returns from Deployment NNS 03 Nov 2012 -- The USS Norfolk returned to Naval Station Norfolk from a regularly scheduled deployment Nov. 3.
- Truman Tests New MANTIS Dolly NNS 03 Nov 2012 -- Steadily gliding through the hangar bay of the USS Harry S. Truman the Multi-Aircraft Nose and Tail Interface System steadily transports more than 20,000 pounds of steel.
- Rogozin Sets Sights on Kalashnikov Merger RIA Novosti 03 Nov 2012 -- Russian Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin called for a merger of two of Russia's leading small-arms makers, Izhmash and Izhmekh, under the Kalashnikov brand.
- Russia Sends New Anti-Piracy Task Force to Gulf of Aden RIA Novosti 03 Nov 2012 -- A task force from Russia’s Pacific Fleet, led by the Udaloy class destroyer Marshal Shaposhnikov, has departed on an new anti-piracy mission off the Somali coast.
- Syrian Rebels Attack Key Air Base RFE/RL 03 Nov 2012 -- Syrian rebels have launched a major assault in the northwest against an airbase the government uses to launch air strikes on rebel positions.
- Syrian Tanks Enter Golan Heights Buffer Zone RIA Novosti 03 Nov 2012 -- Syrian Army tanks entered the demilitarized Golan Heights buffer zone on the border with Israel for the first time in 40 years.
- Syrian Activists: 6 People Died Each Hour of October VOA 03 Nov 2012 -- Syrian activists say an average of six people died every hour last month in the war-torn country.
- British-Somali Businessman's 2nd Restaurant Targeted VOA 03 Nov 2012 -- Two suicide bombers in Somalia appear to have targeted a second restaurant owned by a British-Somali businessman.
- Russian Humanitarian Aid Arrives in Mali RIA Novosti 03 Nov 2012 -- A Russian Emergencies Ministry plane carrying humanitarian aid has touched down in Mali, the ministry confirmed on Saturday.
- Nigerian Forces Raid Kidnappers' Hideout VOA 03 Nov 2012 -- Nigerian security forces have killed 14 people as they stormed the hideout of the suspected kidnappers of a Turkish national.
- Darfur: UN-African Union envoy voices concern over deadly violence in Sigili village UN News Centre 03 Nov 2012 -- Amidst new reports of violence in the west Sudanese region of Darfur, the acting head of the joint United Nations-African Union peacekeeping mission there voiced her dismay and concern over the matter.
- Pakistan 'Blasphemy' Teacher In Hiding RFE/RL 03 Nov 2012 -- A Pakistani teacher at the center of a blasphemy dispute has been forced into hiding after a furious mob stormed a girls' high school in the eastern city of Lahore.
- Authorities in Left Front 'Extremism' Probe RIA Novosti 03 Nov 2012 -- Moscow prosecutors have begun an investigation into the opposition Left Front party over possible extremism.
- Ruling Party Wins Ukrainian Election RIA Novosti 03 Nov 2012 -- Ukraine's ruling Party of the Regions gained almost 30 percent of the vote with 99.84 percent of the ballots counted after the country's parliamentary elections.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|