Sudan Plans UN Complaint Over Khartoum Blast
20:42 24/10/2012 KHARTOUM, October 24 (RIA Novosti) - Sudan intends to file a complaint with the UN Security Council over an alleged Israeli air strike on an arms factory in the capital, Khartoum, the country’s Culture and Information Minister Ahmed Bilal Osman said on Wednesday.
A fire broke out late on Tuesday at the Yarmouk arms factory in the south of Khartoum following a series of explosions that the Sudanese authorities believe were caused by an air strike delivered by four Israeli warplanes. At least two people were killed in the incident.
“The Sudanese government will hold an emergency meeting later today…to discuss a possible response to this act of aggression,” Osman said.
The minister said the Israeli planes used sophisticated electronic countermeasures to avoid detection by Sudanese air defenses.
Osman added that Sudan would complain to the United Nation’s Security Council about this “flagrant” violation of its sovereignty by Israel.
Sudan, which some analysts claim to be an arms smuggling conduit for Palestinian militants in the Gaza Strip, has blamed Israel for such attacks in the past.
In May, Khartoum held Israel responsible for an air strike that killed one person in a car near the city of Port Sudan.
A blast resembling an Israeli missile strike killed two people in Western Sudan last year, the Sudanese authorities claim.
In keeping with past practice, Israel has not commented on the current accusations by the Sudanese authorities.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|