Afghan Soldiers, Civilians Injured In Suicide Bombing
October 17, 2012
by RFE/RL's Radio Free Afghanistan
An Afghan regional official told RFE/RL's Radio Free Afghanistan that 45 Afghan soldiers and eight civilians were wounded in a suicide bombing near an Afghan-NATO military compound in the east of the country.
Defense Ministry officials had earlier said that only 11 Afghan soldiers were injured in the attack.
Provincial spokesman Rohullah Samoon told RFE/RL that the attacker detonated an explosives-filled vehicle outside the compound in the district of Zormat in Paktia Province.
Samoon said no one was killed in the attack.
A spokeswoman for the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF), Amy Hession, confirmed the attack, saying several Afghan troops were "killed or injured." She said that "no ISAF troops were killed or wounded."
A Taliban spokesman, Zabihullah Mujahed, claimed responsibility for the attack.
With reporting by dpa and AP
Copyright (c) 2012. RFE/RL, Inc. Reprinted with the permission of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, 1201 Connecticut Ave., N.W. Washington DC 20036.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|