27 October 2012 Military News
- Afghan Police Foil Suicide Bombing RIA Novosti 27 Oct 2012 -- Police in Afghanistan arrested a man as he attempted to carry out a suicide bomb attack targeting guests at an Eid celebration hosted by the local security command.
- Afghan President Condemns Mosque Attack RFE/RL 27 Oct 2012 -- Afghan President Hamid Karzai said those responsible for a suicide bomb attack outside a mosque in the north of the county were "enemies of Islam and humanity."
Defense Policy / Programs
- Future USS Minnesota Christened NNS 27 Oct 2012 -- The Navy christened its newest submarine, the future USS Minnesota (SSN 783), Oct. 27, at Huntington Ingalls Industries - Newport News in Newport News, Va.
- Stennis CSG Commander Reassigned Pending Investigation NNS 27 Oct 2012 -- Commander, U.S. Naval Forces Central Command is temporarily reassigning the commander of the USS John C. Stennis Carrier Strike Group.
- USS Underwood Departs Honduras on Last Leg of Deployment to 4th Fleet NNS 27 Oct 2012 -- The Oliver Hazard Perry-class frigate USS Underwood (FFG 36) departed Roatan, Honduras, Oct. 26, to return to its homeport of Mayport, Fla., wrapping up a Southern Seas Deployment to U.S. 4th Fleet.
- Readout of the President’s Briefing on Hurricane Sandy, 27 October 2012 The White House 27 Oct 2012
- The Department of Defense Prepares for Hurricane Sandy DoD 27 Oct 2012
- US Fleet Forces Cancels Sortie Condition Alpha NNS 27 Oct 2012 -- Commander, U.S. Fleet Forces has modified guidance for all U.S. Navy ships in Hampton Roads, Va. Ships currently in port have been directed to remain in port. Ships at sea continue to maneuver to clear the path of the storm.
- Syrian Death Toll Rises to 50 Despite Cease-fire VOA 27 Oct 2012 -- The Syrian government and opposition activists have traded blame for a series of deadly attacks that have strained a fragile cease-fire.
- More Deaths Reported In Syria Despite Truce RFE/RL 27 Oct 2012 -- Syrian activists say fresh clashes have claimed more lives on the second day of a barely observed cease-fire to mark Islam's Eid al-Adha holiday.
- UN Security Council Refuses to Condemn Damascus Blast RIA Novosti 27 Oct 2012 -- The UN Security Council has rejected a Russian initiative to condemn the recent terrorist attack in Damascus that killed nearly 50 people following the announcement of a ceasefire across Syria.
- China Threatens Force if Japan Challenges Sovereignty RIA Novosti 27 Oct 2012 -- Beijing vows to make no concessions on its territorial sovereignty and threatens to use force, against Japan among other countries, in response to any challenge to its territorial integrity.
- Philippines Rebel Leader: Challenges Exist With Peace Deal VOA 27 Oct 2012 -- The head of the Philippines’ largest Muslim rebel group is looking ahead to challenges in the remaining rounds of talks to hammer out final peace with the government.
- Iraq: UN envoy strongly condemns attacks during Muslim holiday UN News Centre 27 Oct 2012 -- The top United Nations envoy in Iraq on Saturday condemned “in the strongest terms” a series of attacks that killed and injured a number of people during the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Adha.
- At Least 40 People Reported Killed In Iraq Attacks RFE/RL 27 Oct 2012 -- Attacks targeting mainly Iraq's Shi'ite community have left some 40 dead.
- Wave of Deadly Attacks Reported Across Iraq VOA 27 Oct 2012 -- A wave of deadly attacks has shattered the peace in Iraq, where Muslims are marking the second day of the Eid al-Adha holiday.
- Human Rights Group Calls for Protection of Muslims in Burma VOA 27 Oct 2012 -- A human rights group has urged Burma to protect thousands of Muslims in the country's west after satellite images showed once-thriving communities reduced to ashes.
- Chinese Prosecutors Put Bo Xilai Under Criminal Investigation RIA Novosti 27 Oct 2012 -- The Supreme People's Procuratorate of China has officially put Bo Xilai, once a rising star of Chinese politics, under an investigation for suspected criminal offences.
- Residents Clash with Police in Eastern China VOA 27 Oct 2012 -- Residents in the eastern Chinese city of Ningbo have clashed with police while protesting the proposed expansion of a chemical factory they say will spew pollution and damage public health.
- European Delegation Cancels Iran Visit RFE/RL 27 Oct 2012 -- The European Parliament says it has canceled a planned visit by five lawmakers to Iran.
- Iran Denies EU Delegation Meeting with Jailed Sakharov Prize Winners RIA Novosti 27 Oct 2012 -- A delegation of the European Parliament cancelled its visit to Tehran after the Iranian authorities refused to let them meet with two dissidents awarded with the Sakharov Prize.
- Iran warns about UN Human Rights Council political approach IRNA 27 Oct 2012 -- Permanent Representative of the Islamic Republic of Iran to the United Nations, in a statement released warned about discrediting UN Human Rights Council by alleged politically motivated reports on Iran.
- Suspected Coup Leader Arrested in Guinea Bissau VOA 27 Oct 2012 -- Officials with the transitional government in Guinea Bissau say the suspected leader of last week's attempted coup has been arrested.
- Ukrainians Go To The Polls In Key Parliamentary Elections RFE/RL 27 Oct 2012 -- Questions looming as Ukrainians go to the polls on October 28 to elect a new parliament, the first national elections since Yanukovych became president in 2010.
- Russian Police Detain Opposition Leaders At Moscow Rally RFE/RL 27 Oct 2012 -- Russian police have detained three opposition leaders during an unauthorized demonstration in the center of Moscow.
- Billionaire Prokhorov to Enter Politics Full Time RIA Novosti 27 Oct 2012 -- Billionaire tycoon Mikhail Prokhorov announced that he has joined the Civic Platform party he founded in July and will henceforth engage in politics full time.
- Berlusconi Says ‘Obliged’ to Stay in Politics RIA Novosti 27 Oct 2012 -- Former Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi said he intended to stay in politics, a day after receiving a four-year prison term for fraud.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|