Afghan Suicide Bomber Kills At Least 25 At Funeral
September 04, 2012
Afghan officials say at least 25 people were killed and 30 others injured by an apparent suicide bombing at a funeral in eastern Afghanistan.
Ahmad Zia Abdulzai, spokesman for the governor of Nangarhar Province, confirmed the casualty figures to RFE/RL's Radio Free Afghanistan.
Police said the attack took place at around 2:30 p.m. local time on September 4 in the remote Dur Baba district in Nangarhar Province.
Provincial Police chief Abdullah Stanekzai said the attacker targeted and injured the district governor, Hamesha Gul, by detonating explosives in a crowd gathered for the funeral of an influential tribal leader.
Stanekzai blamed Taliban militants.
There was no immediate comment from the Taliban.
Some villages in the Nangarhar mountainous region last month declared an uprising against Taliban extremism.
Based on reporting by RFE/RL's Radio Free Afghanistan, AFP, AP, dpa, Reuters, and pajhwok.com
Copyright (c) 2012. RFE/RL, Inc. Reprinted with the permission of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, 1201 Connecticut Ave., N.W. Washington DC 20036.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|