28 September 2012 Military News
- Combined Force Kills Multiple Insurgents AFPS 28 Sep 2012 -- An Afghan and coalition security force killed multiple armed insurgents during an operation to arrest a senior Haqqani facilitator in the Gelan district of Ghazni province today, military officials reported.
- Arghandab River crossing in Afghanistan brings new hope to Mizan Army News 28 Sep 2012 -- Afghan National Army and International Security Assistance Forces teamed to clear the Mizan Bowl area of insurgents in early September during the military operation Kalak Hode 5.
- Pakistan rejects US daily report on drone strikes IRNA 28 Sep 2012 -- Pakistan has rejected an American media report that the US drone strikes were taking place with the 'tacit consent' of the Pakistan government, the Foreign Ministry said on Friday.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Dempsey Releases Concept to Build Joint Force 2020 AFPS 28 Sep 2012 -- At the heart of the Capstone Concept for Joint Operations released today by the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff is an idea called globally integrated operations, which will be used to build and organize Joint Force 2020.
- Naval Historian Describes U.S. 7th Fleet's Impact in Asia AFPS 28 Sep 2012 -- The U.S. 7th Fleet has played a key role in American foreign policy and has had a major positive impact in Asia since being stood up during World War II, a historian told an audience of military service members and Defense Department civilian employees at the Pentagon.
- Secretary Panetta and Canadian Minister MacKay hold a Joint News Conference DoD 28 Sep 2012 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Leon E. Panetta, Canadian Minister of National Defense Peter MacKay, and George Little, Acting Assistant Secretary of Defense for Public Affairs
- Soldiers push comm. systems integration to next level during VALEX Army News 28 Sep 2012 -- Soldiers from 2nd Brigade, 1st Armored Division, began their validation exercise that involves the installation, configuration, integration and validation of thousands of pieces of equipment.
- Warrior Diplomat Battalion Ready to begin supporting Middle East Army News 28 Sep 2012 -- Activation ceremony on Rafferty Field for 83rd Civil Affairs Battalion on 25 September 2012.
- Wolfenbarger: AFMC 5-Center reorganization on track AFNS 28 Sep 2012 -- After some 18 months of planning and careful transition, Air Force Materiel Command officials are ready to declare initial operational capability of AFMC's 5-Center reorganization Oct. 1.
- Panetta: Leaders Must Stand Against Sexual Assault AFPS 28 Sep 2012 -- Military leaders at all levels must take responsibility to stop sexual assault, Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta said.
- VP-8 Completes Operation Valiant Shield 2012 Exercise NNS 28 Sep 2012 -- The 'Fighting Tigers' of Patrol Squadron (VP) 8 participated in the Valiant Shield 2012 (VS12) exercise, Sept. 11-19.
- U.S. 4th Fleet Admiral Visits UNITAS Task Force At Sea NNS 28 Sep 2012 -- The commander of U.S. Naval Forces Southern Command and U.S. 4th Fleet visited guided-missile frigate USS Underwood (FFG 36) and guided-missile destroyer USS Gravely (DDG 107), Sept. 27, in the Caribbean Sea during UNITAS, an annual multinational exercise.
- TR Supply Department Prepares to Open New Galleys NNS 28 Sep 2012 -- USS Theodore Roosevelt's (CVN 71) Supply Department started receiving larger amounts of food stores Sept. 27 in preparation for the opening of new galleys aboard the ship.
- 1/3 conducts final CHB-4 exercise USMC News 28 Sep 2012 -- Marines with 1st Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment, conducted the Clear, Hold, Build-4 portion of their Enhanced Mojave Viper training Monday at Range 215's military operations on urban terrain town.
- Navy Warfare Development Command Hosting Pacific Rim Innovation Symposium NNS 28 Sep 2012 -- Navy Warfare Development Command (NWDC) is hosting a Pacific Rim Innovation Symposium Oct. 10-11, 2012, at the SPAWAR Systems Center in San Diego for junior leaders from E-5 to O-5.
- MSC's Maritime Prepositioning Ship Squadron 1 Disestablished NNS 28 Sep 2012 -- Military Sealift Command's Maritime Prepositioning Ship (MPS) Squadron 1 was officially disestablished Sept. 28.
- Officials Discuss Cybernet Transformation Efforts AFPS 28 Sep 2012 -- Defense officials gathered at the National Press Club yesterday discussed DOD efforts to transform its cyber operations into cloud computing technology that's envisioned to provide added agility, security and cost effectiveness.
- Army readies for upcoming influenza season Army News 28 Sep 2012 -- The Army has ordered nearly 2 million doses of vaccine to immunize all Soldiers, their families, civilian employees and retirees for the upcoming flu season.
- Panetta, McKay Share Concerns on Iran AFPS 28 Sep 2012 -- U.S. policy toward Iran's nuclear capability 'is not about containment, it's about prevention,' Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta said here today, in reference to what Western nations believe is Tehran's attempt to enrich enough uranium to acquire a nuclear weapon.
- Remarks by NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen at the change of command ceremony Allied Command Transformation NATO 28 Sep 2012
- Moscow Issues Point-of-No-Return Warning on Missile Defense RIA Novosti 28 Sep 2012 -- Russia and the United States could still reach agreement on the missile defense issue but time is running out, Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov said on Friday.
- Russia Close Azerbaijan Radar Deal - Source RIA Novosti 28 Sep 2012 -- Russia will likely extend its lease on the Gabala radar complex in Azerbaijan for up to three years on the current terms, a source close to the negotiations told RIA Novosti on Friday.
- China Rejects Russian Blame for Carrier Snags RIA Novosti 28 Sep 2012 -- China has denied Russian claims that Chinese firebricks were to blame for boiler failures in the Russian-refitted Indian Navy aircraft carrier Vikramaditya, which suffered propulsion problems during sea trials in the Barents Sea last month, local daily Beitsin Chenbao reported, quoting Defense Minister Yan Yujun.
- Scotland set to host largest military exercise in Europe UK MOD 28 Sep 2012 -- Scotland will host elements of the largest tactically-focused military exercise in Europe from 1 October, when Exercise Joint Warrior begins.
- HMS York bows out UK MOD 28 Sep 2012 -- A ceremony at Portsmouth Naval Base has officially marked the end of HMS York's 27-year Royal Navy career.
- India dismisses reports about its missiles targeting strategic Sri Lankan sites IRNA 28 Sep 2012 -- India on Thursday dismissed reports that its missiles targeted strategic Sri Lankan locations, calling them 'completely baseless and fabricated.'
- 28 September 2012 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 28 Sep 2012
- Secretary Clinton Remarks at the Ad Hoc Friends of the Syrian People Ministerial US Dept. of State 28 Sep 2012
- Secretary Clinton Announces Additional Humanitarian Assistance for the Syrian Crisis US Dept. of State 28 Sep 2012
- Top UN rights body extends mandate of independent probe into Syria violence UN News Centre 28 Sep 2012 -- The United Nations Human Rights Council today voted to extend the mandate of the independent panel probing abuses in Syria, and called on all parties to put an end to all forms of violence.
- Battles Rage in Aleppo, Damascus VOA 28 Sep 2012 -- Syrian government forces captured several rebel-held districts in the capital Damascus Friday, as the rebels went on the offensive against government troops in the northern city of Aleppo.
- UN Rights Council to Continue Investigating Syrian Abuses VOA 28 Sep 2012 -- An investigation into alleged war crimes in Syria will continue for at least six more months after the United Nations Human Rights Council condemned violations by government forces and rebel fighters.
- Security Council welcomes Sudan-South Sudan pacts as 'breakthrough' for peace UN News Centre 28 Sep 2012 -- The Security Council today lauded the agreements reached by the leaders of Sudan and South Sudan in the Ethiopian capital, Addis Ababa, on Thursday as a 'major breakthrough' for peace.
- Japanese defense of Diaoyutai actions contradictory: ministry CNA 28 Sep 2012 -- Taiwan on Friday challenged Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda's rhetoric from a speech at the United Nations Wednesday, saying it contradicted Japan's recent move to nationalize the disputed Diaoyutai Islands.
- Mali Coalition Protests Proposed ECOWAS Troop Deployment VOA 28 Sep 2012 -- Hundreds marched in the Malian capital of Bamako on Friday at Liberty Plaza to protest the proposed deployment of troops from West African bloc ECOWAS to Mali. The troops, if they come, would be used to retake northern Mali from al-Qaida-linked Islamist militants who seized control of the region in April.
- Kenyan Troops Storm Somali Militant Stronghold VOA 28 Sep 2012 -- Kenya's Defense Force says its troops took control of parts of the Somali port city of Kismayo Friday in a pre-dawn attack from the land, air and sea. The long-awaited operation is targeting the last major stronghold of the al-Qaida-linked militant group al-Shabab.
- SOMALIA: Dangers for journalists grow as new government takes hold IRIN 28 Sep 2012 -- The situation of journalists in Somalia is becoming increasingly precarious as the country struggles to put behind it years of lawlessness following the recent successful election of a new president.
- SRI LANKA: Final batch of Menik Farm IDPs relocated IRIN 28 Sep 2012 -- The last group of over 300 people from Menik Farm, once the world's largest camp for internally displaced persons (IDPs), have been moved out, but not to their former villages.
- Kenya: UN agency combats public health threats at world's largest refugee camp UN News Centre 28 Sep 2012 -- The United Nations refugee agency has launched extensive health measures to combat an outbreak of jaundice in the world's largest refugee camp, located in northern Kenya.
- Rwanda Denies Presidential Walkout on Congo Meeting VOA 28 Sep 2012 -- The president of Rwanda, Paul Kagame, walked out of a meeting at the United Nations on Thursday after Belgium's foreign affairs minister referred to allegations that Rwanda has been backing rebels in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). A mini-summit meeting called by U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon failed to reach a consensus on Rwanda's alleged role in a Congo rebellion.
- Delisting of the Mujahedin-e Khalq US Dept. of State 28 Sep 2012
- Background Briefing on an Announcement Regarding the Mujahedin-e Khalq US Dept. of State 28 Sep 2012
- White House: Obama, Netanyahu Agree on Iran VOA 28 Sep 2012 -- The White House says President Barack Obama and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu are in full agreement on wanting to prevent Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon. The two leaders discussed the issue by telephone Friday, and the Israeli leader also was scheduled to do so with Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney.
- President: Presence of Iranian nation in UN essential IRNA 28 Sep 2012 -- President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said on Friday that the United Nations is a main international organization and the presence of Iranian nation in it is a necessity.
- IRGC commander: Iranian nation foiled plots in different eras IRNA 28 Sep 2012 -- Chief Commander of the Islamic Revolution's Guards Corps Major General Mohammad Ali Jafari said that since the victory of the 1979 Islamic Revolution in Iran, all plots of the enemies have been foiled due to the vigilance and resistance of Iranians.
- Ahmadinejad deplores Javanfekr's detention IRNA 28 Sep 2012 -- President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said on Friday that while the world was expecting to listen to Iran's viewpoints from the UN General Assembly's podium, detention of presidential advisor was deplorable.
- Iran Responds To Netanyahu, Vowing To Retaliate If Attacked RFE/RL 28 Sep 2012 -- Iran has vowed to "retaliate" against any attack after Israel's prime minister called for a "red line" to prevent the Islamic republic from acquiring a nuclear bomb.
- Israeli PM Netanyahu Calls for 'Red Line' over Iran RIA Novosti 28 Sep 2012 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has urged the international community to draw a 'clear red line' for taking action against Iran by next summer, to prevent the Islamic Republic from completing the second stage of nuclear enrichment required to produce a bomb, the United Nations reported.
- Iran Vows to Retaliate Against Any Attack VOA 28 Sep 2012 -- Iran has vowed to retaliate against any attack, after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu called on the world to draw a 'clear red line' on Tehran's nuclear program.
- Background Briefing: Readout of the Secretary's Meeting With Japanese Foreign Mininster Koichiro Gemba and Korean Foreign Minister Kim Sung-hwan US Dept. of State 28 Sep 2012
- Chinese Communist Party Expells Bo Xilai VOA 28 Sep 2012 -- Chinese state media are reporting that Bo Xilai, once one of China's rising political stars, has been expelled from the Communist Party and that he will also face criminal charges.
- UN officials call for stronger global measures to counter nuclear terrorism UN News Centre 28 Sep 2012 -- The consolidation of strong international mechanisms is vital to combat nuclear terrorism, senior United Nations officials stressed today, warning that countries must urgently act to tackle one of today's most serious global threats.
- Secretary Clinton Remarks at G-8 Deauville Partnership With Arab Countries in Transition Foreign Ministers Meeting US Dept. of State 28 Sep 2012
- Senior Administration Officials Preview of the U.S.-GCC Strategic Cooperation Forum US Dept. of State 28 Sep 2012
- Security Council calls on Yemenis to ensure transition milestones are met on time UN News Centre 28 Sep 2012 -- Commending the progress made by Yemen in its democratic transition, the Security Council today called on all parties to continue to honour the timetable for achieving key milestones along that path, including the upcoming national dialogue.
- US Withdraws More Staff from Tripoli Embassy VOA 28 Sep 2012 -- The United States has temporarily withdrawn more staff from its embassy in the Libyan capital for security reasons, but said it hopes to return them to Tripoli early next week.
- Myanmar can count on UN support to face challenges ahead, says envoy UN News Centre 28 Sep 2012 -- The United Nations will continue to assist the people of Myanmar to address the various challenges facing the country, a senior official said today.
- Russian Space Industry Needs 'Extreme Measures' - Chief RIA Novosti 28 Sep 2012 -- Russia's space sector needs to carry out sweeping reform in order to remain competitive, the head of Russian space agency Roscosmos said on Thursday evening.
- Mars Rover Curiosity Finds Old Streambed RIA Novosti 28 Sep 2012 -- Mars rover Curiosity has discovered evidence that a stream once ran across the area where the rover is driving on the Red Planet, NASA reported.
- Analysis: Where will Yemen's aid money go? IRIN 28 Sep 2012 -- With billions of aid dollars set to pour into Yemen, humanitarian agencies are calling for greater transparency in its allocation, warning that not enough of the funds appear designated for the country's dire humanitarian situation.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|