09 September 2012 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- 731st AMS completes MRAP mission AFNS 09 Sep 2012 -- Airmen from the 731st Air Mobility Squadron were key players recently in the first delivery of Mine Resistant Ambush Protected vehicles to U.S. Forces in Korea.
- Underwood Celebrates 50th Anniversary of Trinidad and Tobago's Independence NNS 09 Sep 2012 -- The Oliver Hazard Perry-class guided-missile frigate USS Underwood (FFG 36) pulled into Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago, Sept. 7, just in time to help celebrate the country's 50th anniversary of independence.
- F-35A reaches 'huge milestone' in program development AFNS 09 Sep 2012 -- Air Force officials begin their F-35A Lightning II Operational Utility Evaluation Sept. 10, an instrumental step in beginning Joint Strike Fighter pilot and maintenance training for the service.
- New AFSC coming for AFSOC enlisted aircrew AFNS 09 Sep 2012 -- Almost 470 flight engineers, aerial gunners and loadmasters who fly Air Force Special Operations Command's CV-22, AC-130 and Non-Standard Aviation aircraft are transitioning to one Air Force specialty code, 1A9X1 Special Mission Aviation starting in November.
- Press Gaggle by Press Secretary Jay Carney, 9/9/12 The White House 09 Sep 2012
- UN agency calls on parties to Syrian conflict to refrain from fighting in civilian areas UN News Centre 09 Sep 2012 -- Following the latest death of one of its staff members, the United Nations agency assisting Palestinian refugees today called for all parties in the Syrian conflict to refrain from fighting in civilian areas.
- Aleppo Hit by Deadly Car Bomb, Syrian Government Air Strike VOA 09 Sep 2012 -- Syrian state media say a car bomb in Aleppo has killed at least 17 people, while opposition activists say a government air strike in the northern city also has killed and wounded civilians.
- Russia Rejects US Push for More Pressure on Syria VOA 09 Sep 2012 -- Russia is rejecting a U.S. push for stronger action against embattled Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
- Dozens Killed in Iraq Attacks RIA Novosti 09 Sep 2012 -- A wave of deadly attacks and bombings claimed the lives of at least 44 people and left nearly 240 people injured in at least 11 cities across Iraq on Sunday, al-Jazeera reported.
- Iraq Attacks Kill At Least 92 as Sunni VP Sentenced to Death VOA 09 Sep 2012 -- Insurgents in Iraq have carried out a wave of bombings and shootings that killed at least 92 people in a 24-hour period that coincided with an Iraqi court sentencing the country's fugitive Sunni vice president to death for murder.
- Iraq Court Sentences Fugitive Ex-Vice President to Death RIA Novosti 09 Sep 2012 -- A court in Iraq has sentenced former Sunni vice president Tariq al-Hashemi to death in absentia, Al-Jazeera reported on Sunday.
- Japan must work toward solving dispute over Tiaoyutais: envoy CNA 09 Sep 2012 -- Japan should respect its bilateral relations with Taiwan and work toward solving the territorial dispute over the Tiaoyutai Islands peacefully, said Taiwan's representative to Japan in an article published Sunday.
- UN-African Union mission calls for end to hostilities in Darfur town following violence UN News Centre 09 Sep 2012 -- The head of the United Nations-African Union peacekeeping mission in Darfur, known by the acronym UNAMID, has called for an end to the latest round of violence – reportedly leading to several casualties – to affect a town in the Sudanese state of North Darfur.
- Ryabkov: Iran's N-program non-military in nature IRNA 09 Sep 2012 -- Deputy Russian Foreign Minister Sergey A. Ryabkov says Iran's nuclear program is not military in nature.
- India's space agency poised for historic milestone on Sunday: report IRNA 09 Sep 2012 -- India's space program is poised for a historic milestone on Sunday when ISRO's workhorse PSLV rocket will put two foreign satellites in orbit in the agency's 100th mission from the spaceport at Sriharikota in Andhra Pradesh, about 110 km from Chennai, capital of Tamil Nadu state.
- India successfully launches 100th space mission: Report IRNA 09 Sep 2012 -- India on Sunday successfully launched its 100th space mission with the indigenous PSLV-C21 rocket putting in orbit two foreign satellites.
- Somali Candidate Warns Lawmakers of Alleged Bribery VOA 09 Sep 2012 -- A Somali presidential candidate urged lawmakers not to be influenced by alleged vote buying as they prepare to elect a new president Monday.
- Hong Kong Holds Key Legislative Polls VOA 09 Sep 2012 -- Hong Kong is awaiting results of legislative polls that will shed light on how much support there is for pro-democracy and pro-Beijing camps.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|