08 September 2012 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
Defense Policy / Programs
- USDA and DON Visit to USS Monterey Reinforces Commitment to Greater Energy Security NNS 08 Sep 2012 -- U.S. Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack and Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Navy for Energy Tom Hicks toured the USS Monterey (CG 61) at Naval Station Norfolk Sept. 8, highlighting the commitment of both agencies to greater energy security for the nation's military.
- NAVSUP Weapon Systems Support Awards $180.9 million Performance Based Logistics Contract NNS 08 Sep 2012 -- NAVSUP Weapon Systems Support recently awarded a Multiplatform Auxiliary Power Unit (APU) Performance Based Logistics (PBL) contract to Honeywell International based out of Tempe, Ariz., Aug. 24.
- UN chief hails 'successful' end of review of programme of action for illicit small arms trade UN News Centre 08 Sep 2012 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon welcomes the 'successful' conclusion of the Second Review Conference of the Programme of Action to Prevent, Combat and Eradicate the Illicit Trade in Small Arms and Light Weapons in All Its Aspects, which ended on Friday with the adoption of a final report, according to Mr. Ban's spokesperson.
- Press Gaggle by Press Secretary Jay Carney, 9/8/12 The White House 08 Sep 2012
- EU Foreign Ministers Agree On Need For New Sanctions On Syria RFE/RL 08 Sep 2012 -- European Union foreign ministers have agreed on the need to strengthen sanctions against Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's regime.
- Russia 'to Push Syria Peace Accord at UN' RIA Novosti 08 Sep 2012 -- Russia will push the UN Security Council this month to endorse a Syria peace plan brokered in Geneva, Russia's foreign minister said on Saturday.
- Addressing Great Lakes meeting, Ban renews condemnation of armed groups in DR Congo UN News Centre 08 Sep 2012 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today renewed his condemnation of military operations by armed groups in the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), as well as the suffering they cause for civilians, in a message to a summit of the regional grouping of Great Lakes nations of Africa.
- Iran Says Canada Under Influence of 'Zionist Regime' VOA 08 Sep 2012 -- Iran says Canada is "under the influence of the Zionist regime," following Ottawa's decision to suspend diplomatic relations with Tehran.
- Iran: Canada's action is unconventional, misuse of int'l laws IRNA 08 Sep 2012 -- Islamic Republic of Iran Ministry of Foreign Affairs says Canada's action to close its embassy in Tehran and expel Iranian diplomats from Ottawa is unprofessional, unconventional, unjustifiable, and a misuse of international laws.
- Moscow believes pressure on Iran will hinder Iran-G5+1 talks IRNA 08 Sep 2012 -- Russian Ambassador to Tehran Levan Dzhagaryan said on Saturday that building up pressures on Iran during talks with the G5+1 would bring about problems.
- Drug Trafficking Rising in Central Africa, Warns Interpol VOA 08 Sep 2012 -- In Cameroon, officials with the International Criminal Police Organization,Interpol, blame a surge in the drug trade on an an ongoing crackdown on traffickers in neighboring West Africa.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|