Egyptian Leader Pledges Response to Sinai Attack
07:02 06/08/2012 CAIRO, August 6 (RIA Novosti) - Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi on Monday vowed to retake control of the Sinai Peninsula following Sunday’s militant attack that killed 16 Egyptian guards near the Israeli border, the Al Jazeera broadcaster reported.
“I have given clear orders to all of our security forces, the armed forces as well as the interior police, to move swiftly in capturing those behind this vicious attack,” Morsi said in a televised address on Monday.
The deadly attack on the Karem Abu Salem crossing occurred on Sunday evening. Seven Egyptian police officers were injured in it.
Morsi said those behind the assault, which reportedly started as militants were smashing their way into Israel, and their accomplices will “pay a high price.”
According to the Israeli military, Al Jazeera said, the attack was part of a plot to kidnap an Israeli soldier. Egyptian state television said armed foreign gunmen were behind the assault.
Earlier on Monday an Egyptian security officer said 17 armed extremists had been killed in the operation to counter the attackers.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|